wind whistle

-

dusterbd13

Reaction score
so, im starting to go a little buggy.

car is a 70 duster. full resto, new weatherstripping, etc.

on the passengers side, im getting a horrendus whistle from the window at anything above 45. i cannot seem to find where its coming from, other than the window.

anyone have any methods for finding it, or fixing it?

thanks
michael

If you can find the general area of the weatherstripping that is not sealing all the way you can make a small slice in the weaterstripping and run a piece of small vacum hose into the weatherstripping wich helps to kinda inflate the seal so it seals up against the window. Did you try adjusting the window in and out?

welcome to the world of MoPar !

ALL of these cars had that damned whistling , even when they were new (!!) . The pillarless door glass of the Duster / Demon / Dart Sport / H.T. Dart / Scamp only made the problem worse ( especially the '73-'76 "23" bodystyles ), and it was further-compounded by assembly plant variations .
Hamtramck-built cars had the worst quality control ; Los Angeles-built car fared much better ; and the Newerk-built "A" bodies ( '69 & later Swingers ) were the best . St. Louis was okay ...

The resolve ? Adjust the door glass . Be careful with the up-stop . The glass in the doors of the "29" bodystyle was so radically-angled ( truly , an engineering marvel ! ) that it was prone to going off-track easily ; going crooked in its channel .
New weatherstripping only exasperated this 'problem' .

Hope this was of some help :)

Yup. I used to be the alignment/suspension guy at all the dealerships I worked at over the years. Somethin I learned real quick.....alignment guys get all the other stuff nobody wants to do....squeaks, rattles, leaks, wind noises.........but I took it and ran with it. Made some good money too. Get a friend to light a cigarette going down the road and run it around where the noise is coming from. The smoke will suck right out the leak and you'll know right where it is.

-
Back