windage tray question

-

dustinmoran91

Reaction score
I have a 318 and want to put a windage tray on it but dont have special bolts. My question (may be stupid) can i just drill the holes in the tray bigger and run the standard main cap bolts through it?

The crank would probably hit it, AND worse yet the mainbolts may work themselves loose with it between them and the caps.
It would scare me to try it.

I have a 318 and want to put a windage tray on it but dont have special bolts. My question (may be stupid) can i just drill the holes in the tray bigger and run the standard main cap bolts through it?

i have a 318 and want to put a windage tray on it but dont have special bolts. My question (may be stupid) can i just drill the holes in the tray bigger and run the standard main cap bolts through it?
no

Ok just wondering. Thanks guys. Im just slapping this 318 together with stuff laying around so i can have an engine for the duster and thought i might try and get that windage tray in but ill save it for the 360 i suppose

What is the build / RPM level of this engine? A windage tray may not be worth the effort.

And you DO need the special hardware package. I'm sure MP has em

I've heard of people welding studs onto the regular cap bolts (not sure how that might affect the strength of the cap bolts though-certainly can't help).

Drilling the main cap bolts is ill advised. While it is possible to do such things, can you do it yourself, the bolts are not an easy thing to drill and tap. also, can you afford to screw it up? The new bolts are not to much money and the best way to do such things.

On your build, even if mild, you can see a 10 HP gain no problem. I have seen several write up/dyno runs with 15+ HP gains. It isn't a lot and will never be felt, but each item you do for a few HP is worth the effort and will add up at the days end. Some here, some there, it adds up.

DEEEP pans are where the HP is if you cannot go dry sump. I quit using the MP tray in the early 90's after testing a few options.

Agreed on those two posts. But then again, what kind of engine is this and is it really worth it to go through it all for how much more power at what expense?

The caps and bolts are shorter for a 318. 340 windage bolts must be used with special washers this keeps the crank from hitting the tray on the 318. I found later 2.2 head bolt washers work perfect early are to small in diameter. I have the washers free, And probably bolts not free if needed

MIL-81151 this is the part number through summit 41.95 in stock. Mopar has one too but it is $62 Jeez for $85 you can buy a whole new kit. Like Rumblefish said 5-10 horsepower on all the extra stuff you do adds up. I always add a windage tray free hp.

MIL-81151 this is the part number through summit 41.95 in stock. Mopar has one too but it is $62 Jeez for $85 you can buy a whole new kit. Like Rumblefish said 5-10 horsepower on all the extra stuff you do adds up. I always add a windage tray free hp.

You should not be switching to studs without line honing the mains. Reason is studs change the clamping force on the cap which will change the bearing clearance.

I have some original 340 bolts with the screws sitting in a box in my garage I am not using...

its just a throw together motor to get the car up and running, only new parts im buying are cam, intake, and pushrods since im using some magnum heads, also the bearings and gaskets. dont think it would be worth it on this motor to buy new main bolts just for 5-10hp. its only getting run till i finish my 360

if i could have just drilled the holes i would have used it but im not buyin $40 bolts for 5hp on a temporary motor lol

if i could have just drilled the holes i would have used it but im not buyin $40 bolts for 5hp on a temporary motor lol

You mean $40 bolts that would require you to get the mains line honed? You just can't throw studs in place of bolts on those main caps.

Well, for a budget solution get some studs welded onto the top of the factory bolts and double nut the tray onto those.

A windage tray on that won't make 5hp.... leave it off.

WRONG!!!!!

Never been on a dyno with your engine testing one of these out huh?

Your answer is "NO" reply not needed.

WRONG!!!!!

Never been on a dyno with your engine testing one of these out huh?

Your answer is "NO" reply not needed.
I've been on the dyno plenty. Everthing from an iron head 292ci 273 that made 472hp to a 482 pontiac that made 982 to every kind of BBM wedge and hemi. My current pump gas street hemi made 740hp on 93octane and 1050 on the juice. Have a 540 twin turbo all aluminum hemi that'll be on there soon. Anytime you wish to compare accomplishments, dial me up. On a throw together stock 318 that's never going to see the high side of 5000 rpm, you have to be fooling yourself to think it's going to justify itself or make an additional 5hp. . If it was a 416 stroker, sure. This is a wasted effort in this piece.

-
Back