Winter time model building thread.

-
That's a great kit, beautiful job!!!!! This is the Johan Petty Superbird kit. I radius the wheel wells and lowered it. I painted it with real engine paint, Chrysler engine blue. I can't believe it didn't melt the plastic.
:cheers:That is sweet!! I'm a big fan of the King and have several Petty replica's I'll get pic's sometime. I have a Franklin Mint Petty Superbird and also built my own Petty 'bird from a Revell street car using Slixx decals. I'm jealous i don't think mine looks as nice as your

:cheers:That is sweet!! I'm a big fan of the King and have several Petty replica's I'll get pic's sometime. I have a Franklin Mint Petty Superbird and also built my own Petty 'bird from a Revell street car using Slixx decals. I'm jealous i don't think mine looks as nice as your
Thanks again!! I am a big Petty fan myself. I got the Franklin mint 67 Plymouth. I also built the Lindberg 64 Petty Plymouth. Take more pictures of your models!

Here are a couple of MPC kits I built back in 1987 when I was 17 years old. Sheesh, where dose the time go!

I remember when a local small business hobby shop had the '71 Superbird kit on the shelf. If I remember rightly that was the kit which inspired Dayclona to come about. Didn't pick it up when I had the chance. Woulda, shoulda, coulda...

Thanks again!! I am a big Petty fan myself. I got the Franklin mint 67 Plymouth. I also built the Lindberg 64 Petty Plymouth. Take more pictures of your models!
You ask you shall receive here is my Petty collection (just the plastic models I have lots of diecast and memorbilia).The only one of these models that was an actual Petty kit was the '64 Belvedere the the '69 Road Runner and Torino were Nascar kits but not Petty, the Superbird was scratch built from a Revell street version and the '71 Road Runner was scratch built as a show car on a late model Nascar chassis the body will lift off of the chassis. I've used Slixx decals on most of these models. The superbird was the most challenging build as I tried to replicate ever detail things like the air cleaner, rollcage, diff cooler are all completely scratch built. The 'Bird also came molded with a vinyl top that was sanded off plus much more.

HPIM5287.jpg

HPIM5288.jpg

Those are sweet. What was the source for all the decaling since some of them were kit bashes?
Thanks!! Slixx Decals are what I used on them they make awesome decals. I built most of them 7-10 years ago and was finding it hard to get the decals as Slixx was changing their products and the Petty decals were going to be stopped so I bought a few sheets of them so I could do these models. I'm not sure if Slixx is making Petty decals again or not now, but when I last bought some they weren't. The decals for the Outlawed drag car came from California got them off of E-bay, some of the sponsor decals came from other kits

Thanks!! Slixx Decals are what I used on them they make awesome decals. I built most of them 7-10 years ago and was finding it hard to get the decals as Slixx was changing their products and the Petty decals were going to be stopped so I bought a few sheets of them so I could do these models. I'm not sure if Slixx is making Petty decals again or not now, but when I last bought some they weren't. The decals for the Outlawed drag car came from California got them off of E-bay, some of the sponsor decals came from other kits

And another reason we could use a modeler's forum. Would be nice to be able to post up links to be able to source things like this without having to remember which page in the thread they're on. Slixx, huh? I'll have to remember that.

As far as the modeler's forum...how 'bout it, Joey?

This is Revell's Viper kit. I built this before the real Viper coupe came out. I grafted on the roof of a 74 cuda.

Picture 021.jpg

A couple of FWD. I don't know why I didn't finish the stripe up the Daytona's hood.

cats 018.jpg

Dodge A-100 Mild to Wild the mild one was build a long time ago by myself, the wild one was designed and started by a friend of a close friend of mine who was in the local model club. He unfortunately passed away before he finished this one, so I got ahold of it and finished it. When I got it the chassis was just started and the roof had been chopped but not finished. I did not personally know this guy so I had no idea what is plan was for the finished product so I did it my way. It has twin 440 supercharged engines completely scratch built chassis and a lift off body. Believe it or not the biggest challenge with this build was the exhaust with the twin engines routing the exhaust was a b*#ch. I entered this one into a local contest two years ago and made it clear who designed this as the guy's fellow club members were judging the contest needless to say they were all very touched to see this finished as some of them had heard or seen the concept of this build. I took a 2nd place with it and when the presented me with the plaque they announced the story behind this build. I did finish this but can not take credit for the design and if had not started this one it never would've looked like this.

HPIM5278.jpg

HPIM5279.jpg

HPIM5282.jpg

HPIM5286.jpg

Thanks. I was curious at what one would look like done up like a 1969 Daytona. That was back before photoshop.
Its funny I had a 92 Daytona a few years ago and had that same idea,I wanted to do it but the car turned out to be a lemon so I dumped it quick so I never got to try the look on it. I like it can you do a side profile pic of this Daytona

Those A 100 are cool!!! That chopped one is phenomenal, it came out awesome!! It has a sad,but nice story to it.

Those A 100 are cool!!! That chopped one is phenomenal, it came out awesome!! It has a sad,but nice story to it.
Thanks!! It was a tuff build considering the story behind it, but I'm not about taking credit for stuff I did not do, yes I did most of the work to finish it but like I said if he had not started it with this look in mind I never would have dreamed of this style of build.:cheers:

Here's a couple more of the A-100 Drag truck to show the level of detail,the drive unit/transmission was already scratch built when I got the model but the design looks like if built in the real world it would actually work. The doors both open and it is completely plumbed and wired. I felt that if this guy had put so much thought into the design that it would have to be done all the way, so no details were left out. It is a nice tribute to the Designer, I also have a few models that this gentleman had finish lets just say he had a wild imagination and his work was over the top.....

HPIM5280.jpg

HPIM5299.jpg

-
Back