Wiper bench test…on car

-

TimDart

Reaction score
Guys my wipers don’t work. I have the procedure for bench testing the motor. Is there any reason why I can’t do the bench test with the wiper motor still attached? I’d unplug the bulkhead connection for the wipers and test it on the disconnected battery

this test;
Bench testing procedure.

Test #1(Hi speed)

Connect jumper wire from motor case to battery ground.
Connect second jumper wire from batterypositive to BROWN lead.
Motor should run hi speed continuously.

Test #2 (Lo speed)

Connect jumper wire from motor case to battery ground.
Connect jumper wire from GREEN wire to battery ground.
Join BROWN and RED wires together and connect a jumper wire from battery positive to them.
Motor should run at slower speed.

Ah well. Didn’t work. New project, then.
However I did do a voltage test at the firewall connector. The main feed wires (Brown, red) to the wiper motor show battery voltage With switch turned on. I cleaned everything at the connector, reconnected and then checked voltage again at the two power wires. Somewhat amazed to find just 3.8 volts showing.
I can’t belivee that such a voltage drop could be possible given that the connections are clean and feel tight at the connector.

Last edited:
What year and model? 2 speed? 3 speed? variable speed? I'd first check the ground strap to make sure it's not corroded or has a bad connection of some sort.

Yes, quite. It’s a ‘67 Coronet and I believe it’s a two speed (off, on, on 2), the earth strap is intact but from what I’ve read around today, running grounds from the motor and the switch may be required.

My money is on a seized wiper pivot. Unhook the wiper motor under the dash and see if the pivots move freely.

This was over a month ago, did the OP find the problem yet? It has to be one of 5 things, power, ballast resister, motor, pivot, or ground. I guess it could be one other thing, my Dart had a 3-speed motor in a 2 -speed system, linkage appeared to be attached, but wasn't, because they are incompatible. We have no pictures.

-
Back