wood heat

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
anyone else out there love wood heat????

here is s w Missouri there is an ABUNDANCE of wood hear and logging. I love my wood heat in my modest home I built. I don't have any big amount of land by far, what I do have is all pasture. I don't buy any firewood, just bundles of slabwood. I can go cut some wood on the neighbors but but getting in and out with a dually with plastic fenders, up and down a hill they would call a BIG hill in Co. its better not to unless i'm feeling really game.
I have most of my winters wood cut, stacked, seasoned, but thought I would get a couple of extra bundles today. nice day, bout 60 degrees, I cut a tank of gas, then stack that, and take a break! so here I am taking a break! one advantage of being sorta retired, and an OLD fart!????
I like watching the shows on the idiot box about Alaska and other places of interest. amazing how they heat a small cabin, the people live in N E Alaska way above the artic circle. in a log house that has no real chinking, just moss stuck in there. amazing.
mechanic friend complained how it costs him like $300 a month to heat his home, maybe 1800 sq ft. I have 1500 but only use bout 1000 of it. costs me maybe $100 a year. that's the cost of slab, gas, chain oil, chains. huh?
nothin like the warmth of wood heat. any body other their have love of wood heat??????????

Attachments

• 100_1740.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 227
  • 100_1742.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 213
  • 100_1738.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 218
  • 100_1739.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 212
I like it! How did you do your floor under stove? I bought one (Vogelzang) gonna put it in a back room I'm building.

If I remember right, I put in cocncrete board they call it, and did my tile on that. it sits on the subflloor, the " floating" hardwood flloor goes up to the trim around the tile. be sure the stove is far enough from the back wall. there I spaced the concete board out couple of inches for air sopace, then did the tile. the wood about the stove will get pretty warm when I have the stoved cranked way up! but has never been a problem. I clean the flue out every fall real good with wire flue brush.
the addition to my car shed in pic besides the stacks of wood along the fence, I plan on just using a double barrel stove to heat that garage area. unless I find a used cast iron stove cheap enough. probably take me all winter to enclose that thing, unless the Pres, sends me a garage "grant", ha

Not me, no thanks. I've skidded, buzzed, sawed, chopped, split, carried, stacked (running out of words here) enough to last a lifetime. On a side note I found another shot of the day we sent the old Farmall Regular off to the new owner. Built around '28, and "field" converted to rubber tires, we DROVE it on the trailer. On the back is the buzz saw my Dad built when I was young

!!!NOTICE!!!! There is no guard!!! "Little me" standin' there about 12 years old, on a nasty rainy fall day (about now) "throwing away" from the saw. One slip in the wet grass, it would have been all over with.

The thing bolted to the front of the tractor, and since it was a sliding tray and well off the ground, sometimes we left it on even after the snow plow was installed

14aykxz.jpg

Attachments

• aFarmall.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 211
hey 67 dart 273, kids back then had more dexterity, as they didn't sit on their a-- in front of a puter game all day!???? ha or maybe we were "replacable"????
why did my mom hand me a 410 shotgun at 11 ????? I guess she figured it would not blow a bad hole in me like A 12 GA??? HA or sit in her lap driving down the back roads like a crazy someone??? ha
that tractor guy will probably restore it to NEW bc/cc and all!!!! I know, you sold it before it burned up in an Idaho fire or mud slid from Ca took it!

yep ... burn about 5 cord per year with a pacific energy airtight good for 3000 sq feet, that thing cranks out heat.

bought a heat pump 2 years to replace my oil furnace...boy was that a mistake. There good for the shoulder seasons but come the heart of winter you can't beat wood .. which is the cheapest source of hear period per btu of output

10 CORD per year in my New Yorker wood boiler that's all my domestic hot water also .

it would be great to have an outside wood furnace runnin g to ductwork. also eliminates the chance of fire. oh well....

There was some of that going on around here. Boiler, though, rather than forced air. Not necessarily pressurized. you would want to run glycol, rather than water.

I've never worked on any, somebody made a dual fuel deal with a "swing away" oil burner wood / oil deal for backup.

The area I live in here in N Idaho (It's a state------of the mind) was once a big logging area, as opposed to "further south" which is more rolling plains, wheat, etc.

Wood heat is the best. Feels different, like the smell, glo, the whole thing. Here's a couple of cords I had brought over today, have done plenty of my own, no time this year. Fir, Alder, and a little Hickory. Prefer Maple. Junk wood on the left of one of the pics is windfall from my property, punky. Here's our new Lopi, this one is smaller than the last, more efficient and has a fan.

Attachments

• IMAG00536.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 163
  • IMAG00530.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 169
  • IMAG00537.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 153
11 years as a National Fireplace Institute certified installer for wood, pellet, and gas and I absolutely love my Quadra-Fire 3100 wood stove

If I run my wood stove, I have to open the windows, lol. Whew, it gets warm in here.

Grew up with wood heat. I miss it, except for cutting, splitting, and stacking all that wood. Especially the splitting part.

I just got started splitting our wood for this winter, this afternoon. When ours comes off the splitter, we stack it on pallets. I use my tractor with pallet forks to set it up on our covered porch. My wife bought an old pallet jack at the flea market, and we move the pallets to where they need to be on the porch. That saves having to handle it eleventyseven times! I've been lucky the last several years, and gotten a lot of wood right around the house. My neighbor gave me some huge chunks of Red Oak, that I need to get home when I get all I have piled up busted.

Love the heat.......hate the work. We lived in a house when I was growing up that had a wood furnace. Loved the heat but it's a lot of work.

i have a gas furnace i haven't used in 6 years , fire it up in the begining of winter just to check it. but i have a fisher stove and burn just 2 cords a winter here in va , i have a **** load of oak on my land and drop a few down when i need to season for next year. just me and the dogs now so i keep my temp in the winter around 68 , i've never liked a hot house and 68 is good for me and the dogs.

Don't have wood heat, have a pellet stove. Really do like it. When (if?) we ever build that little cabin to live in it probably will have a wood burner in it. Have been burning Cherry wood in my smoker...I stand down wind of it just to get a whiff of the exhaust.....

Burn hardwood here all winter. Mostly maple and yellow birch. Love the heat and the work helps keep me from getting to far out of shape. I have 9 cord piled for the winter, figure I will burn about 6.

Jack

If I remember right, I put in cocncrete board they call it, and did my tile on that. it sits on the subflloor, the " floating" hardwood flloor goes up to the trim around the tile. be sure the stove is far enough from the back wall. there I spaced the concete board out couple of inches for air sopace, then did the tile. the wood about the stove will get pretty warm when I have the stoved cranked way up! but has never been a problem. I clean the flue out every fall real good with wire flue brush.
the addition to my car shed in pic besides the stacks of wood along the fence, I plan on just using a double barrel stove to heat that garage area. unless I find a used cast iron stove cheap enough. probably take me all winter to enclose that thing, unless the Pres, sends me a garage "grant", ha

Thank you I was looking at cement board, glad to know it works.

-
Back