worst motors of all time

-
what was up with this motor? Sludge, no oil changes from owners? I see many in pick-a-part and all are crusty inside. most missing front cover..no PCV?

ford f-350 with 360fe /1976 first emission engines-valve job every 3000 miles, block cylinders wore .100 at 12000 miles, fords first fix oil pan that held 1 extra qt. of 15/40 oil #2 replace oil dip stick to add another quart of oil. ##3 replace radiator with a extra large one.#4replace fan with more blades#5 ADD ENGINE OIL COOLER problem solve. (these engines never overheated don't know were the engineers were going with this) the oil was wore out at 850miles from samples. tech bulletin said to change oil every 1000 miles until fix. it took them 1 1/2 years to fix this problem .the rental company I worked for could only rent one way up to 1000 miles.
the 5.7 gm diesel with its cast crank and 18 to1 compression didn't last long either ,a bad injector = broke crank!
don't forget all the bad chevy 350 blocks in the mid 70's with the lifters bores on center and wiping camshaft it took the engineers about 2years to figure out it wasn't a cam Harding problem but a block problem.

Cadillac HT4100, Pontiac 301, Omni/Horizon 1.6L (think Simca), Ford 144, 170, 200, 250 six cylinder, all GM 60degree V6's, pre-68 Lincoln V8's, Chevy 307, Ford 351M, and anything British.

The ford 1980's 255 small block v8,AMC/Jeep 2.5 inline 4,and anthing variable venturi carb'd early 80's ford.

How about a Mazda rotary engine. These ran good until you overheated them and they were toast. Interesting design as it was five sections that were sealed with giant o rings that once they got hot it would blow all out.

How bout anything from British Leyland? Lucas had to be the worst electrical manufacturer...
British%20Leyland.jpg

Yep.....here it was known as " Lucas, Lord of Darkness ".

The CAT C175 engines....they spin bearings, **** turbos, crack turbo towers, high pressure fuel pumps......etc.
They are now doing Gen II's of these......wonder how well they will do......lucky to get 4,000 hours out of a Gen I.
The 3rd pic is the old 3500 series......known for dropping valve heads.

Attachments

• IMGP5183.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 291
  • IMGP5184.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 305
  • IMGP5185.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 312
  • IMGP5186.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 307
  • IMGP5187.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 297
The CAT C175 engines....they spin bearings, **** turbos, crack turbo towers, high pressure fuel pumps......etc.
They are now doing Gen II's of these......wonder how well they will do......lucky to get 4,000 hours out of a Gen I.
The 3rd pic is the old 3500 series......known for dropping valve heads.

cat made a lot of duds the marine engines like the 3208 430hp and a few smaller inline 6 and a few 8 cyl . the only one I ever seen last in a commercial fishing boat was the 3406 but they are big and heavy but great torque

back in the day I had some pile O **** 4 cylinder in a vega that was the absolute worst. not to mention the 4 cylinders in the citations. it took nothing to blow them up. in fact , I think its safe to say ALL GM 4 cylinder crap engines were ticking time bombs. ive had more reliable slant sixes running on all 4

Not all were bad,Pontiac Astre same body as a Vega but Pontiac used there own 4 banger with a iron block and the 1st generation Nova's could be had with a 4 banger and a good engine as well.My older brother bought a vega new in 74 and the engine made it to 50k when he traded it off.The Chevy 307s were a crap engine as well,same the diesel version used in the mid 70s gm cars.

2.0L Isuzu kept blowing head gasket at oil passage. I was using that graphite oil at the time. One big mess!!

Not a GM guy but heard those diesel 350 bottom ends were bullet proof for building a gas motor!!!

VW v10 turbo diesel in the toureg. 750 ft/lbs of torque in a soccer mom SUV? I think they just gave up on it and kept the v6. Tension block diesels. Mis torque head and the block cracks. Yeah, Mazda 5 stroker, sum ***** was supercharged and had only 10HP more than standard Mazda motor.

Not all were bad,Pontiac Astre same body as a Vega but Pontiac used there own 4 banger with a iron block and the 1st generation Nova's could be had with a 4 banger and a good engine as well.My older brother bought a vega new in 74 and the engine made it to 50k when he traded it off.The Chevy 307s were a crap engine as well,same the diesel version used in the mid 70s gm cars.
Those Nova 151 engines were stout buggars. Still used heavily in marine apps today.

I will have to say 05 & 06 Chrysler 2.4l engines. Some have too much crank play and keep pushing out the front seal. The oil leaks faster than you can put it in. According to the dealership there isn't a fix for them. I had to replace the engine after 33,000 miles.

Not a GM guy but heard those diesel 350 bottom ends were bullet proof for building a gas motor!!!

I actually heard they were quite reliable if you followed the little quarks that came with them. and after 1981 they improved the design and were as good as a 6.2

some of the guidelines were allowing them to idle for at least 1 minute after startup or before shutdown

put down good numbers too at 30 MPG in some of those big boats of a GM

Ford 6.0 diesel for sure. Spent 7,000 dollars trying to get mine fixed and the tec at ford said they have a 90% failure rate... After all that my engine was toast and I traded it for a mini van

And to think they ditched the 7.4 T444 International engine for that sad piece of crap. Er..or did International ditch them??

Now how's this for ironic. The 6.0 was backed by the best auto trans ever to be behind a diesel. Worst engine, best trans. WTF?

Even more ironic Ford owns Cummins, people buy FUmmins conversions yet they don't have them in their trucks.

Cadillac HT4100, Pontiac 301, Omni/Horizon 1.6L (think Simca), Ford 144, 170, 200, 250 six cylinder, all GM 60degree V6's, pre-68 Lincoln V8's, Chevy 307, Ford 351M, and anything British.

Sorry my friend you are very misinformed about some of this. The little Ferd sixes were certainly not bad engines, and other than the usual smog crap, neither wire 351Ms. 307's were substantially no different than any other Chev of the day

The thing about GM and the 350 diesel, is, "they knew better." I'm not talking about Detroit diesels, either. GM already built some truck diesels, that's why the huge heavy anchors of the 60s GM truck V6's are built the way they are.....the gas engines are outgrowths of the diesels.

don't you guys remember the 350 chev diesel conversion engine of the early 80s what a piece of **** .

My father bought a 79 Chevy truck (I don't remember the model anymore, I get them all confused) used in the early 80s that was a converted diesel. He had it six months before it broke the crank. I remember the glow plug lights in the dash and the dual gas tanks. He replaced the motor with an Olds (289 or something) and drove it for another 14 years. At that point, the shops wouldn't inspect it because it was still registered as a diesel and he didn't want to pay whatever the fee was to get it reregistered.

Isuzu 4 banger that was used in a Chevy Luv truck, I had one of these and had the dubious honor of being the slowest car at a huge points meet at Ohio Valley Raceway back in the 80's. I ran triple Z class and they just gave me a trophy and ask me to leave because they didn't have time to waste letting me make a pass.
Any motor that the used in an Intrepid. There are so many nice Intreped bodies in junkyards because the motors were crap and they wouldn't last long enough for people to even crash them.
Just about every motor Mitsubishi made back in the 70's and 80's (and probably still today)
Renault motors
Fiat motors
I could probably list a few more.

The early Intrepids were fine...they used the minivan 3.3 and the OHC 3.5 V6's. 200K from either is normal. (My stepfather's first Concorde went to my brother at 210K, he sold it to another guy in his platoon with ~240K, the guy promptly drove if from North Carolina to Seattle.)

The later ones had either the very-problematic 2.7 or the much-better 3.2 engines.

The Mitsubishi 3.0 V6 was a good engine...seen many with over 300K in livery Caravans. It would need valve seals around 120-140K...though it would easily run another 100K with bad seals!

what was up with this motor? Sludge, no oil changes from owners? I see many in pick-a-part and all are crusty inside. most missing front cover..no PCV?

Bad oiling system...and I recall doing the (internal) water pump is a monumental job, with a book rate of something like 7 hours labor! (Basically: many get junked when the owner is told they need a water pump & it will be $1000+!)

-
Back