Would you treat a customer this way?...

-
People OHD will always go against the flow and thats his right. Leave him to his geriatric dilusions and get back to the situation at hand. I just cost the Carb shop another so called $5 bucks...

-RPM

The only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked. And a person can only try to answer those that are asked. Whether or not you think the question is stupid, if it's asked, somebody, in all likelyhood, is truly needing an answer or they wouldn't have asked it in the first place.

I spend a lot of my day answering questions via emails, phone calls, and in person in our showroom. I sometimes really don't have time to "size a person up" to determine whether or not he will be a paying customer as that's not my job. My job is to answer questions and provide service to those who request it irregardless of whether they spend money or not. Just because they might not spend anything today certainly doesn't mean they won't buy from you in the future.

You wouldn't believe just how many people I speak with who tell me that there are a lot of other vendors out there who don't seem to give a crap about even trying to answer their questions about products or services a business might offer and that's why they're calling me. I try to help them if I can and if I can't, I come right out and say so, so that they can then determine what's going to be best for them.

Lord knows I'm not perfect, but I do try. And sometimes even I drop the ball, it happens. And sometimes, I get dumped on pretty hard as well. Moral of the story is this......you can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can please as many as you can the best you can, that's all anybody can do.

I hope the original poster finds the parts he needs, and I hope whomever is on the other end of this can come to understand that any question asked is a valid question that deserves a thoughtful answer.

Thanks for that Rick, I would guess that you've meant all kinds of people. I'd like to say that if at the end of the day you can say to yourself that I helped all those people, or at least the one's that wanted to be helped, then it's been a good day. Sometimes that's all there is in this life. Gotto go Mr. Rosa and I are having a man to moron discussion and it's up to $20 so far.

Terry

...and if it isnt for internet sales and so called "tire kickers" there wouldnt be much of a business then... would there ? I have never been told to piss someone off with a rude answer. Every customer is a "potential" buyer. Piss them off and they become bad advertising. So ya....if you want a business to fail then use the pattern from Carbs and more and the philosphies of OHD and you will succeed in failures and also be less of a human being for it.

Example. How many tire kickers and questions do a car sales person have to answer.... mostly people just seeking information. The sales person has to be nice and answer the questions no matter how stupid they are. That may be a customer who buys 1 or 14 new trucks. Now if you tell the customer.... " sorry your just a wanna be mechanic and you know nothing of diesel truck and you are wasting my time" That sales person just gave himself a proverbial kick to the junk. Guaranteed the customer that was just dissed owns a major company and was looking for answers before he bought his fleet.
Doesnt matter if its face to face or face to internet message. You have to be polite and conduct yourself in a business manner. Anyone in retail business knows this. ANYONE !

-RPM

to Rick@Laysons and RPM, those are very good posts. What I hate is when I ask a stupid question and somebody disses me because of it. The guy that takes the time to answer it as nicely as possible will get my business every time even if I think his prices are outrageous.

"You don't get it, and judging by your Ignorant posts, you never will. I hope you and your business fail miserably"

I have done it this way for 45 years in business there bucko, I was and am very comfortable with what I have earned, wanna compare??? I have it ,I don't need anymore and if someone whats what I have they have to call so I know what they need....no 2-3-5 -10 emails from tire kickers...

and as one so wisely stated: "How do you know if you have a customer unless you talk to them".

My thoughts EXACTLY.... and how many cars can you paint over the internet or TELEPHONE?

This whole thread was started with a false pretense, the crowd fell right into line, This guy is NOT A CUSTOMER, just information seeker...BIG DIFFERENCE.......:cheers:

Those who find out EXACTLY what they need and call get EXACTLY what they want, for a much better price. REAL SIMPLE HUH?

If not they have to pay for the knowledge of others to help them out and pay higher prices. (Usually they just go to the internet and cry about that bastard seller not holding their hand and giving them the part...)

The internet is just like the yellow pages only with more crap to wade through...:toothy10:

Bucko???!!! Did you really call him Bucko???!!!

I'll tell you what-if people like Rick never answered questions and helped the un-informed out then that knowledge would go to the grave and we would all have to do an unheard of amount of research to gain what they know and probably never know the unwritten information that only they possess. These people who dont take the time to at least try to help someone out, then claim its a burden to them, I say screw em, let them have their nasty attitude and lets all just pass on their services and find someone who actually wants our business. All the fool had to say was " no im sorry but we dont sell seperate parts, thats our policy but if you would like to send me your carb so I can take a look at it and give you a repair quote then I would be happy to do that" I guess if it costs $5 everytime to use the internet then maybe he should just stay off of it and use his stellar personality to drum up word of mouth customers-LMAO.

I would love for OHD to post ALL of his accomplishments...not just speak of what he has done. I am a biz man and I do get alot of people calling for tech help and where to get this and that, and yes at times I can be pretty vague due to the fact that I can smell lazy pretty easily. Those folks get the vague answers.

This poster asked SPECIFIC questions about a part and INQUIRED about repair work if the part was not available. that vendor should have had a better, straight to the point answer like" Sorry, we do not sell parts, but a repair will be based upon what we see once we get a pic or the actual part."

Time and time again, I tell customers that there is no set price on alot of jobs. WHY??? It is an old car, bolts are seized, they can break, something else can happen, etc... You may or may not open a can of worms. ANYTHING can happen, but I lay all this on the table BEFORE they give me a signed work order or a deposit to make sure they understand what I do.

ps.....WHy is this OHD guy still a member....????? Is he part of the KNOW IT ALL CLUB OF AMERICA?

I thought we got rid of that club.....hmmmmm

ps.....WHy is this OHD guy still a member....????? Is he part of the KNOW IT ALL CLUB OF AMERICA?

I thought we got rid of that club.....hmmmmm

If it was up to me, I would have tossed this guy a while ago. But since I'm the most irrational moderator here I'll let this jerk hang himself....

BTW: Here's your PUBLIC verbal warning OHD, Watch your language.

I got my reply from carburetors and more, and it went something like this...

"You are blindly defending Rude non-customers. We never refused to rebuild his carb, we just refused to give him technical advise, which is both illegal and bad business. We have had this policy since 1956 and will continue this policy.We also do not sell any carburetor parts period, it states so on our website. Keep up the free advertizing. We have had the best business days since you started your boycott. Many real customers are writing and agreeing with us and buying carburetors and sending in their carburetors for rebuilds. Keep up the good work!!! Start telling the truth, though!! Thanks, Chuck"

So there you have it, unless I read Chris' (oops, I mean Swift) request wrong and Chuck's response to it wrong also, it sounds like 2 different stories to me. I don't blame Chris for not dealing with them if Chuck's response to him was printed word for word. I would never send anything to a company that can't take the time to address a potential customer in a kind and courteous manner. And by the way everybody, don't bother calling the Mopar Performance tech line, the technical information police have shut them down. Technical information is not only illegal, it's bad business!!! And don't look for any technical articles in any of the hundreds of magazines you might be receiving, they are next!!! And don't even think about asking your buddies or your mechanic how they would do something, you wouldn't want them to end up in jail for your ignorance would you??? Just let the technical stuff up to the pro's, buck down and take your medicine, and stick with what you know, like pumping gas. Oh, you don't know how to do that either, well, don't ask Habib, he'll get sent home if he tells you how!!! Keep on keepin' on everybody, and disregard all my other posts, I don't want to go up the river if you took any of my advise!!! Geof

I got my reply from carburetors and more, and it went something like this...

"You are blindly defending Rude non-customers. We never refused to rebuild his carb, we just refused to give him technical advise, which is both illegal and bad business. We have had this policy since 1956 and will continue this policy.We also do not sell any carburetor parts period, it states so on our website. Keep up the free advertizing. We have had the best business days since you started your boycott. Many real customers are writing and agreeing with us and buying carburetors and sending in their carburetors for rebuilds. Keep up the good work!!! Start telling the truth, though!! Thanks, Chuck"

His best business days? BS "Keep up the free advertizing"?
His response is like a grade school bully that got showed up in front of his friends by the class nerd.
Rude non customers? From what I have gathered here so far, He was rude first and now he pulls the "I'm the real Victim here" routine. "Keep up the good work"? I can almost smell the sarcasm.
How are these other "real customers" finding out about our little E-mail "Advertisments" and coming to his defense? He's full of it.

I know this thread is over a month old (I'm new), but I thought I would post up a guy that could help Chris ...errr Swift out. I e-mailed this guy a year ago about a 3 deuce set up for a poly 318. I told him my cam choice, gears, converter etc. and he was timely w/ his e-mails and polite. He built me a set up at a GREAT price. To be honest I thought this guy was too good to be true, but sure enough the holley 94' showed up built right for the set up. And to top it off all three carbs were from the same year (visually matched). He does rebuild, that seems to be his main business. I'm not affiliated w/ him, just one of the most pleasant business dealings I've had with someone.

As far as tire kickers asking questions go, can you guess what I was doing when I sent him my first e-mail? Kicking tires, looking for 3 holley 94's for my poly, for a decent price. Guess what? He got my business, and now good advertising, I hate that I haven't posted kudo's for him before this, I'll have to spread the word better. Like I said though, I'm not affiliated w/ him, I'm just saying he was a stand up guy when dealing w/ me last year.
http://www.buzzardcarburetors.com/ heres the link, Buzzard Carburetors is the name of his business and Mad Max Knudson is name. anywhoo hope this helps someone out there.
Dietz

OHD,
Times are different when you started doing business 45 years ago. There wasn't internet or email as a means of communication or placing orders. I do a lot of correspondence via email when I'm looking for something in order to get info and feel places out before I buy from them. I can't always call. Besides, as someone else posted earlier, it would be a bigger waste of a vendors time for a cutomer/potential customer/fake customer/tire kicker/"swift" to call with a question and spend 20 minutes on the phone, when an email can be checked when it's convenient and takes less time to read and write (maybe not for you, I get the feeling reading and writing may not be your strong points).
Right now is a perfect example of a time when I'm doing business via email instead of calling or stopping by; I'm in Iraq, so I can't exactly break out my cell phone, and stopping by would be even more difficult. I am, however, making purchases of car parts over the internet so they're at home when I get there...and get this...I've emailed every one of the vendors (Rick@Layson's being one of them) prior (that means before) to making a purchase.
If I email 3 places about the same product I'm looking for, I'm probably not going to buy from one that doesn't respond, and definitely won't buy from one with an attitude like yours or the person at the shop in question. Maybe you have done ok with your business doing it your way, but think about how much better it could have been.

Dave

dietz diggler,
Are you a member on the XL forum? Your avatar looks familiar
Sorry didn't see this until today, I'm a member of Moparstyle, slantsixdotorg and I use the same name and avatar where ever i go. XL? is that a Harley forum?

I think enough has already been said about the customer service, so I won't go into that. However, I will say a couple of thoughts I had about useing E-mails VS phonecalls. With the internet, I can look for something whether its 2pm or 2 AM. How many of us have different hours to work then most normal bussiness hours? I work 2 jobs and put in around 65 hours a week between the two. So when I finally get a chance to look for something I need, it's usually after hours, or on weekends. I know if I ask a few questions in a E-mail, they will get to answer them once they read the questions. If they have to look for something then it can be answered the next few days. Then when I finally get back to the computer, my answer will always be there waiting for me. If it's something that is very important to me, I give my number and the best times to reach me. I try to use whatever means that will solve my particular problem the easiest. (I've never known it to cost $5.00 an E-mail either.)

-
Back