WOW! 4.25" Stroke Small Block Cranks now availavbe from BPE!

-
Had some time for the build this weekend - Got the block one step closer to finished!

We line bored with the CNC machine - and this is setting the cutter up.

_DJV9665.jpg

Next it was line honed - taking the last bit out of the new caps and set the oil clearances.
_DJV9886.jpg

We got to work on some other things, but this was the majority of the work that got done this weekend.

good question on the power - I'm shooting for over 500 under 600 - depending on my final setup.

I already have my street car so this will definitely go in the street / mostly strip category.

I would not be using this for long highway hauls ( 300 miles ) like my current 360, but so far I have not totally killed drive-ability.

The fact that it is an X block made me go down certain paths ( 4 bolt mains ) but aside from some of those things it's not exotic or anything.

can i ask what so special about the x block and what year did they come in or is this a aftermarket block, and I'm cures about what kind of heads you plan on using only reason, I'm asking is next year I'm putting a 70 challenger together 4 speed car i have a 6 pack set up for it already and i think a stroker 440 small block would be a great set up i like, what yours is looking like sorry to pry. I'm looking to spend 9to 12 grand on the engine . will be the budget.

can i ask what so special about the x block and what year did they come in or is this a aftermarket block, and I'm cures about what kind of heads you plan on using only reason, I'm asking is next year I'm putting a 70 challenger together 4 speed car i have a 6 pack set up for it already and i think a stroker 440 small block would be a great set up i like, what yours is looking like sorry to pry. I'm looking to spend 9to 12 grand on the engine . will be the budget.

X-block was a race block offered by direct connection/ mopar performance. years ago.

The first Heavy duty block was the TA block - it was followed by the X block and now there are R series.

The X has filled pan rails and thicker cylinders to name a few points that made it stronger.

Heads? Eddy ported by RyanJ from SHadydell speed shop will be going on them eventually -

Good questions Robert. Not trying to be rude, but lets keep this a DJV build thread. Theres going to be a ton of new never seen before tech going on here.

your engine is going to awesome i cant wait to hear this thing run . nothing like a small block big block . good build every thing looks way awesome and I'm lovin the pic as you build . keep em cumming.

Somewhere along the way some of you guys got the impression that DJV is building his engine with a 4.250" stroke. He is using one of my 4.125" stroke cranks. Just wanted to clear up any confusion.

Rod

I think the confusion came in because Dave started the thread entitled,

"Wow! 4.25" stroke small block crank from BPE"

then goes on to tell of his build with a 4.125 crank. They should have been separate threads.

you are right - i caused alot of confusion here - let em see if I can fix it and make 2 threads.

have you decided what cam you are going to run hydraulics or solid roller to make those numbers you going run in the 600 lift area i did a 426 stroker, and ran into some weird issues like, the front harmonic balancer hit the timing cover right were the timing marks were . but this was on a magnum engine are you going to run the oil line in the top of the block or are you going to drill out your lifter galleries and give your cam bearings a smaller hole to keep the oil down below are you going to run a girdle, are you going to run dry sump or a regular oil pump system ow and don't forget to make room for you dipstick i screwed up on that one what rocker are you going to run? 1.6 or 1.7 , ow and don't for get the little oil plug in the block you said it got rot to blasted a lot of people don't know about that plug and cost them a engine . aw man i cant wait to hear this thing run .

have you decided what cam you are going to run hydraulics or solid roller to make those numbers you going run in the 600 lift area i did a 426 stroker, and ran into some weird issues like, the front harmonic balancer hit the timing cover right were the timing marks were . but this was on a magnum engine are you going to run the oil line in the top of the block or are you going to drill out your lifter galleries and give your cam bearings a smaller hole to keep the oil down below are you going to run a girdle, are you going to run dry sump or a regular oil pump system ow and don't forget to make room for you dipstick i screwed up on that one what rocker are you going to run? 1.6 or 1.7 , ow and don't for get the little oil plug in the block you said it got rot to blasted a lot of people don't know about that plug and cost them a engine . aw man i cant wait to hear this thing run .

The block was already tubed so I am going with a solid roller.
I have 2 patterns I am going to test ( 1 xr 280 comp and a custom grind from RyanJ)

what balancer did you use?
no girdle with splayed caps - the caps will handle all i can afford to throw at this motor.
there is no dipstick hole on the x block.
i have a set of comp ultra pro magnums in the 1.5 lift that work with my cam

I cant wait to hear it run either!!!

the balance was this one HUG 64277 and the cam i run is this for numbers its a hughes cam 1.6 roll rockers 0.592 intake and 0.610 exhaust and lobe separation of 106 and center line 103 its a solid flat tappet cam I'm real happy with this is whats in my street engine and i all so put in there timing chain adjuster which you can buy from mo par for about 31 buck works great. if your engine doesn't have a dipstick how do you check the oil??

-
Back