Wow, I think I just made a SWEET swap meet score!

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
I bought a used Holley carb today at a swap meet, the guy thought it was a 780, I didn't know, but it had an electric choke on it and a chrome fuel line, everything was loose and free, even looks nice, just needs a kit. So I paid the man $30 for it and hauled it home in the Valiant. I got home and looked up the number, turns out the number, L-4118-S/0188 is 4150 725 CFM carb for a 1968 Shelby GT-350!! Is this correct??? I looked it up on the net and seen some for sale between $300 rough to $750 for a near mint one. I just wanted the choke off of it, looks like I may need to find a willing buyer who has a Shelby! :toothy10:

Picture 1640.jpg

Picture 1641.jpg

Picture 1642.jpg

Picture 1638.jpg

Picture 1639.jpg

I love it even when it happens to my buddys.....by the way...i won $100 on the power ball today. Good score.
Small Block

I dunno, man......it looks too new with that sticker on it....not '68-ish. What does the cat say? That's grreat if it is, though.

The old ones had that sticker, the one carb I found on a Shelby site for sale for $750 said it still had that same decal still on it. The carb also has screw heads on the bolt ends for the float bowls, newer ones had the hex head for a socket.

Yes, that is a Ford carb. It actually is a hot air type choke that plumbs to the exhaust manifold. It also has the Ford throttle linkage, unlike the universal type with the more common Chebby style. That would be a good small block carb, even on a Mopar if tuned right. I'd rather have the cash though.
I might know someone with some money that may be interested. He's a big ford guy that used to come in at my old job. My old boss rebuilt a few Boss 429s for his shop.

Restore the carb for a nice return on cash and remember to get the cat nip out of the carb first.

Roll the cash over for another carb.

good deal man,just a tip.....don't flip a carb upside down (unless of course you plan on rebuilding it) floats can get stuck and stuff....but you are probably going to rebuild it anyhow...so no matter

pitch it its labeled haha nah jk great score u never know what you'll find anywere

The date code of 0188 works out to the 18th day of 1968.

Nice score.

Cool, thanks for the info! Hey Mike, will you be around tommorrow? Give me a call and you can check out the carb.

That is a rocking deal! Sell that sucker and buy a QuickFuel with the cash.

Cat Scan! lol!

Good things happen to good folks Keith :-D Great score :cheers:
I see you have a Holley inspector on the job there at home,That is one coooool cat 8).
happy for ya bro :-D

Important safety tip: Run the numbers on your carbs before taking them to the swap meet. LOL!

Good find!

Steve

Important safety tip: Run the numbers on your carbs before taking them to the swap meet. LOL!

Good find!

Steve

Yea, this guy had some cheap stuff!! He had several really nice, lightly used Mopar sb/bb distributors, also 2 Accel ones ($20 each), a decent 70-72 Dart front bumper $20, a pair of 516 Mopar bb heads, nice for a $100, 2 bb K-frames, 1 e-body, 1 b-body, a nice big fat b-body radiator for $20 (my friend bought this!) I wish I could have bought it all but you know how it goes! There was also a guy there selling early 62-63 Dodge b-body stuff, had an 8 3/4 rear hounsing only $20! It was greasy and I didn't have a truck so I passed.

not sure you will get that kind of scratch for it... but its going to bring more then $30 bones... its profit for you either way.... congrats on the lucky stumble upon...

-RPM

ive seend them on ebay for buy it now $400 plus its funny ford guys would probly kill for a carb like that to complete there shelby and that they look high n low for them. and a mopar guy finds one without knowing it, it just tells ya that mopar comes out ahead AGAIN lol

There`s probably some Ford guy out there posting that he just found an old intake, paid a 100 dollars for it, thinks it`s magnesium, has a spot for two 4 barrel carburetors sitting diagonally. Lol! Sounds like a good deal. Congrats!

sell it as is...don't bother rebuilding it. Get $300 and you'll be happy. That in it self is a big profit!

Aloha

I've got the same carb. It was on a 1968 340 4-speed B'cuda Formula S I bought back in 1998. I sold the car and kept the carb. I also researched the carb and found the same info you did about it being a Ford Shelby carb. It ran well on the B'cuda, that's why I kept it. I actually have new, still in the box, Holley parts to rebuild and modify this carb. If you sell the carb, report back and let us know how much you get for it.

KIETH,

WHERE WAS THIS SWAP MEET?
& WHERE IN THE HELL IS HIBBING?

JEFF

I've got the same carb. It was on a 1968 340 4-speed B'cuda Formula S I bought back in 1998. I sold the car and kept the carb. I also researched the carb and found the same info you did about it being a Ford Cobra carb. It ran well on the B'cuda, that's why I kept it. I actually have new, still in the box, Holley parts to rebuild and modify this carb. If you sell the carb, report back and let us know how much you get for it.

Hibbing is about 76 miles NW OF Duluth, MN.

Keith that's a good idea having the cat check it out to see if it
smelled a little fishy.

Sorry couldn't resist.

-
Back