Wrecked the Valiant. Pictures here.

-

75Brougham

75Brougham
Reaction score
As I was leaving work last week, I had some guy pull out in front of me. There was a car beside him, blocking his view. So the idiot pulled out anyway. Crossed two lanes of traffic, directly into mine. When I seen him, it was already too late. The insurance company totalled the car, because the cost of repair was greater than their market value of $2200. This is the carnage. Fixable, so I'm keeping it.

Attachments

• 20150417_094910.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 511
  • 20150417_094917.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 484
  • 20150417_094924.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 501
  • 20150417_094932.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 489
  • 20150417_094936.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 488
You need to be fighting this money figure they came up with. Classic cars can be "argued" into a different category than some "blue book" market value. One way is to challenge them to come up with a replacement car in comparable shape for that amount. You and I both know it cannot be done

You need to be fighting this money figure they came up with. Classic cars can be "argued" into a different category than some "blue book" market value. One way is to challenge them to come up with a replacement car in comparable shape for that amount. You and I both know it cannot be done

A /6, 4 door '75? Yes, it's clean, but so is my '74 Duster and I bought it for $2k.

You might be able to argue them up some, but 4 doors don't get a whole lot. Usually they're going for less than half of a comparable 2 door.

That looks like a ton of damage. Frame, inner fender, K member, radiator support, etc. Props to you if you decide to fix it, but I would be looking for another car. If you could locate someone with a project at the rolling chassis phase you could swap all of your usable parts over. Not saying that car can't be fixed, but the cost of the fix will definitely exceed the cost of a straight 73+ A-body.

Who's insurance company came up with 2200, the guy you hit. I'd fight for more. Ask how they came up with the value. They have to provide you with the data that supports the valuation.

Look up comps on the car to others that have sold. I know it's a 4 door, but can you replace it for that?

Don't just accept what the insurance company says as gospel!

I would negotiate for more money and find a new car. I wouldn't fix that. Front end is swung and mashed. hope you have a frame rack you can use.

I agree, whether you end up fixing it, fight for more money. Chances are you will get it. That amount of money we're talking about is small relative to what insurance companies are paying nowadays. In other words, it's practically nothing to them.

Really sorry about the accident.

I would agree for you to try and get more money or have them find you a replacement in = shape

But also agree that the car is totalled, use it for parts to repair one without frame damage. More than likely you will spend way too much money and it will never drive the same.

There are some clean 4 doors out there, friend sold his 72 Valiant 4 door 318, at, AC car last year for $8,500, yes it was NICE.

Here's a '68 for you. $3,500. I'm not saying to blindly accept the valuation, I would make the insurance company justify it too. Even another $500 would make a big difference in replacing the car. They might be a little low for the shape that your car used to be in, but unfortunately I don't think they're being unrealistic. Granted, this one is in California, and rust free cars don't fetch as much here as they do in places where rust is more of an issue.

http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/4975421558.html

Up here(Canada)most insurance company,s require an appraisal on older cars before insuring.Also need to request the A19 policy for full appraised value incase of accident/theft/fire.It sure sucks that this happened,but I,d also look for another clean A-body to swap parts to.Whichever you choose..good luck.

Maybe he doesn't have classic car insurance. In that case there being more than fair, that's why you must put other insurance on these things. Plus the price of scrap is down.

MY company shot me 3 local Auto trader/craigslist ads for same year LS400 +- 1 year and mileage, they gave me average of the 3 and gave me a $200 credit for the new tires I just put on (receipts were $340 but I took it smiling) I actually made money on it as I traded for my suburban when gas was $4.30 a gallon here. So Im sure you already signed off on the buyback (your done) but thats how Mercury insurance works out here in CA. Frame rack? There is no frame on that, that a whole new front clip!

My 73 Duster had the front end pushed sideways like yours. Had the frame "straightened". Several years later both front frame rails started cracking right where the original damage/wrinkling occurred. In a few months the whole front end started coming apart. I was at a job out of state, to keep it going had the frame rails/unibody welded to the K-frame.
Long story short I would not spend the money to repair yours. As others have said...find another car.

The guy I hit was driving an Acura RL. It only got clipped in the front left bumper/fender area. His battery ended up laying on his engine though lol and mine stayed right in place with bungee cords!

Oh and I did find a nice ride for to replace the Valiant. For the exact amount the insurance is giving me.

Attachments

• 20150425_174359.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 219
Holy Crap Batman! That bites big time! $2200 may be a fair average settlement for a car that age but when your car is WAY above average condition the payout should reflect it. - Glad you're OK. I imagine you'd have liked to have pummeled the Acura owner.

I'm glad you didn't get hurt in that accident

If it was not already insured as a classic, it's worth whatever they say. You cannot "change" coverage after an accident that I know of.

If it was not already insured as a classic, it's worth whatever they say. You cannot "change" coverage after an accident that I know of.

Not true. Been around the block on this too many times.

First offer 1750, settled 9800
First 450 settled 4500

None were insured as classics.

Guy settled, can't go backwards, done deal.

-
Back