WTF is up with KFC

-
It's good, but the oil in it makes my gall bladder want to explode. I ate at a new chick FIL a yesterday. Still good, and fried in peanut oil
Chicken fil A is just now appearing in my part of getto california . Haven't tried them yet,, cause I understood they do baked (ugh) chicken..
Nearest chick fil a in my part of Arizona is probably a hundred miles, or more.

I want your complete recipe. Please Please Please

Jack
No recipe. Maybe some salt and pepper or a shake of some spices and on the smoker it goes. I make a simple rub for pork butt and ribs that is brown sugar based. Brisket is just salt and pepper.

7-20-18b.jpg

7-4-18 3.jpg

2017-08-28 001 1300.jpg

brisket6.jpg

There is a "sweet spot" to oil frying that is very difficult to achieve in a home setting.

New oil tastes like crap and old oil tastes like crap.

Big restaurants have large vats that get broken in and then fry for a long period of time, kept hot.

Real hard to do that at home.

My wife and I don't eat much fast food so this came as a real surprise to us. Recently we were out for a drive. The wife likes to see parts of the country she has never seen before. Anyway, we decide to get something to eat and stupid me had forgot my vaccine papers. You have to have them to eat in a restaurant here. We decide to get some good old reliable KFC as it has been pretty much the same since we were kids. We got our chicken diners at the takeout and went to eat them in the far corner of the parking lot. Much to our surprise the chicken was not the same as usual. It didn't even look the same. We ate it but I have to tell you, it was not good. It was probably the worst fried chicken we had ever received from a fast food joint. The rest of the diners were no better. You used to get coleslaw and a bun. These were nowhere to be seen. It was just crappy chicken and fries.

So when did they change the recipe?

Needless to say, we will never order KFC again.

Jack
I wonder what they changed? Probably not the recipe with all the "signature herbs and spices" but may be the oil or chicken supplier? I looked around on the net and didn't see anything except the name change from Kentucky Fried Chicken to KFC. May be it's just your restaurant?

Haven't eaten "at" KFC for at least 10 years or more. They moved the joint a few more miles N of here. Before that I ate there occasionally, But it was irritating. For one thing, they would not sell barbecue "out the window." You had to go inside. AND about half the time, they'd make you wait at the window. !!!WTF!!! You guys have such a diverse menu THAT YOU ARE OUT OF CHICKEN??

So, I had not eaten there in awhile, and the last time I had gone "in" it looked "dirty." I pulled up into the lot, heading for the driveup. There were two folks in the lot. I pulled up and asked them............"I haven't eaten here in awhile, the last time wasn't very appealing. How was it?"

"OH," said the guy.........."we were just going IN!!!"

KFC+high priced chit
Beer up the chicken's ***, smoked! heck yea

Baste it with my South Ga. BBQ sauce whch consists of real butter chili sauce (not ketsup) Worshire sause, b sugar, onion,cut up real lemon simmered. If I gave you the full receipe, well you know what would be the results. Death PS I forgot vinegar!

Last edited:
I wonder what they changed? Probably not the recipe with all the "signature herbs and spices" but may be the oil or chicken supplier? I looked around on the net and didn't see anything except the name change from Kentucky Fried Chicken to KFC. May be it's just your restaurant?

I have talked to a couple of other people that told me it was the same at all of the KFC's. They changed how they batter it or cook it. It is totally different.

Jack

Chicken fil A is just now appearing in my part of getto california . Haven't tried them yet,, cause I understood they do baked (ugh) chicken..
Nearest chick fil a in my part of Arizona is probably a hundred miles, or more.

baked and fried. Both are ok, but once you look at the ingredient list you’ll never eat it again….

I have talked to a couple of other people that told me it was the same at all of the KFC's. They changed how they batter it or cook it. It is totally different.

Jack
Good to know. Thanks. The nationwide chains need to quit messing with stuff. They'll screw themselves out of business. It has happened to many chains. I like to keep the local place alive. We have many family owned restaurants here and we try to give them some business. Hungry for some local Mexican chicken? Family owned. The youngsters wait tables and provide some of the best service in town. We tip them generously!

chilito's.jpg2.jpg

Jack

it’s the quality of the base ingredients. The chicken is not the same, it’s injected with a “brine” solution that is way more than just salt and water. “Food Science” that is used to curate “Fast Food” is unbelievable. The list of chemicals that are used to make a “flavor profile” are long and the furthest thing from healthy.

KFC is owned by YUM brands which also owns Taco Bell and Pizza Hut… it’s all about profit.

Jack
I remember when KFC was some of the best fried chicken around, a little pricy but good. That was a recent as 10 years ago. Today's KFC chicken is terrible, greasy, the batter is not good, really small pieces. I am done with them.
Believe it or not, the local Kroger has some of the best fried chicken around. I don't know how much they make daily, but it is available around 10:00 AM and is sold out by 2:00 PM daily. Still reasonably priced, 8 pieces for $7.99

There is a "sweet spot" to oil frying that is very difficult to achieve in a home setting.

New oil tastes like crap and old oil tastes like crap.

Big restaurants have large vats that get broken in and then fry for a long period of time, kept hot.

Real hard to do that at home.

There are many types of Fryers used. Most are open friers and the places like KFC use pressure fryers, think pressure cooker with oil instead of water. With vat sizes between 35# and 200# of oil. A lot of the newer fryers used have a filter system built into them so you can set them to filter the oil hour or so. If the oil is filtered and taken care of it can last a few weeks.

there’s 3 main things with frying. # 1 Keep oil between 325 and 375 degrees. #2 filter the oil so the crumb and flour does not burn. #3 keep salt and water out of the oil.

At home, I use a smaller cast iron Dutch oven pan with a thermometer. The counter top electric friers work hood also. The thing is you don’t want to over fill the basket with product, as this cools the oil too much and thus takes a while to reheat the oil to the right temp.

I remember when KFC was some of the best fried chicken around, a little pricy but good. That was a recent as 10 years ago. Today's KFC chicken is terrible, greasy, the batter is not good, really small pieces. I am done with them.
Believe it or not, the local Kroger has some of the best fried chicken around. I don't know how much they make daily, but it is available around 10:00 AM and is sold out by 2:00 PM daily. Still reasonably priced, 8 pieces for $7.99

There are a ton of “buy-out” products that the end used just has to fry or warm up or what not. Most likely this is what’s used as I’ve been in a bunch of the Fred Mayer’s (Kroger) stores in Oregon / Washington and it’s all the same. This is very hard to do when your making the product in location from scratch.

I did 20+ years of very high volume foodservice, think Arenas, Football / baseball Stadiums, NASCAR tracks and the like. Most of what we did was from scratch, say 75%, aka the hard way. But when fried chicken in on the menu at a cup race, there’s no way you can make it, so you find the best buy-out product at the right price and call it a day…

Haven’t been to KFC in quite a while. Sometimes I will see a new menu item advertised and try it. Usually disappointing… We have plenty of options here for good fried chicken. Giant and another local grocery Jerry's’ both are good and consistent. Also have Royal Farms convenience stores, which is probably the best, but a bit more on cost.

I worked at Pioneer chicken a looong time ago. The chicken was great: a hard brown shell type, not a greasy pressure cooker coating. I still don't know the recipe but I remember 365 ish for 9 minutes for wings and legs, and 12 for breast and thighs, DONT CONFUSE THOSE! Raw thawed chicken was in a reddish brine overnight, then it went into the flour, then it was put into the batter bowl (dry powder with no ingredients on it from corporate and a cup of water) and then straight into the open fryer one piece at a time so they didnt stick together. We filtered the oil through a huge cone coffee filter every night and changed oil after 3-4 days. Good chicken. I'm sure the KFC doesnt use the old oil common anymore (poly-unsaturated?) so their chicken tastes different now. Krispy Krunchy chicken at Circle K around here is pretty good for FAST FOOD chicken. and that truck stop chicken is supposed to be pretty good too. Rememeber were talking FAST FOOD here, not slow broasted home recipes....Popeyes sandwich is still great and a good value. Chick-filet is awesome but a little pricey and not as big as Popeyes. BK's Chi-King sucks, about the same as Jack in the box's. I think its all the same producer of prebreaded white meat filets that gets dropped into the fryer for 4 minutes. Our supermarket chicken is hit or mis: Albertsons, Ralphs (Kroger) Vons, Stater Bros...sometimes its fresh, other times its dried out from sitting in the hot case. Used to be 5.99 for the family meal! now its 7.99-9.99. Still a pretty good value if it tastes good

The KFC's around here are ok I guess.
I generally go to Lee's Famous Recipe when I have the choice.

There are a ton of “buy-out” products that the end used just has to fry or warm up or what not. Most likely this is what’s used as I’ve been in a bunch of the Fred Mayer’s (Kroger) stores in Oregon / Washington and it’s all the same. This is very hard to do when your making the product in location from scratch.

Not sure what your grocers are doing out in that wacky NW, but that is not how it is done here, the kitchen where they do the fried chicken at the local Kroger is open and is right next to the Deli, get there before 10:00 and you can see the Cooks flouring the chicken and running the deep fryers.

When we HAVE to go over to the edge of Houston at Conroe, there is a local chicken place we would buy at. Always pretty decent. Then we got some one day and it was terrible. Taste like someone forgot to add any seasoning at all. Then next time, it had changed hands and was owned by some Oriental types. Great chicken, even better than before!! I did ask that they were frying chicken ONLY!!

Not sure what your grocers are doing out in that wacky NW, but that is not how it is done here, the kitchen where they do the fried chicken at the local Kroger is open and is right next to the Deli, get there before 10:00 and you can see the Cooks flouring the chicken and running the deep fryers.

Out here in the "wacky NW" you just need to know where to go ....the Shell gas station on the corner of corson and michigan or Ezells.....done.

-
Back