You learn something new everyday. How long will an LA small block hold up at 550 horsepower

-
When strokers started happening on mass that was a worry but has proven not to be a big deal.
I agree with that. It depends on what you are going to use the engine for and compression ratio, and horsepower goals, my point was before putting out a ton of money for machine work I would have the bores sonic tested its cheap insurance. My engine was for strictly drag racing so for me it was an easy decision. Yours could be different. The cost for an R3 block is very expensive I get that.

It's not my duty to make sure the car goes the number...that's on the racer. If the car sucks, or is sub par...not my problem. I can't hold everyone's hand. I do offer advice to our customers, again maybe they follow it...maybe they don't.
Converters seem to be the biggest problem with cars not running good #'s with a known HP engine. See this way too much! A buddy of mine running a Ford had me do his heads and intake, car slowed down...I kept telling him to check rpm at trap...never would. But I somehow got the blame for it slowing down...until he changed engines (more power) and it went even slower! That's when he wised up and changed converter/trans and car came to life...it is what it is.
Agree. Racers can be stubborn.
Guy with a mega rpm small inch small chevy in a 52 coupe at our local strip. "Shifting" at 8000. Everyone said he needed a converter, it sounded like it left the starting line at over 7000, and you couldn't hear it shift.
After running it for a couple years, he freshened the trans, and put a new converter in it. Picked up almost a full second ...... in the eighth.

I don't like to name names.. but it's the same guy that thinks bearing clearance is an abstract idea so there is no reason to actually check it.
If it's the same guy I'm thinking of, loose bearing clearances are worth hp, and reversing stock pistons must be worth 10-15 even though it won't show on the dyno. I wonder if it works even better on aftermarket pistons?

I Know a guy that ran a 408 stroker like 10 years without refreshing it. Just oil changes every year . The Engine was build by Dennis Maurer in Tempe Arizona . It was running on a 68 Barracuda , Super Street Car.
Mopar crankshaft , block bored with deck plates, Edelbrock heads, compression was like 10.5-11:1 . The Engine was running and it had a problem with the water pump motor and overheated , thats how it died .

If it's the same guy I'm thinking of, loose bearing clearances are worth hp, and reversing stock pistons must be worth 10-15 even though it won't show on the dyno. I wonder if it works even better on aftermarket pistons?
I think you know this but I’ll say for those that don’t.
I noticed every aftermarket piston (for high performance/racing)
has no offset.
Perhaps, it’s the extreme side of power hunting that the reverse piston shows something? IDK, I’m not going there and beating THAT dead horse covered very well in another thread. It was less than an amusing thread.

YouTube = Mostly Entertainment Purposes Only!

I Know a guy that ran a 408 stroker like 10 years without refreshing it. Just oil changes every year . The Engine was build by Dennis Maurer in Tempe Arizona . It was running on a 68 Barracuda , Super Street Car.
Mopar crankshaft , block bored with deck plates, Edelbrock heads, compression was like 10.5-11:1 . The Engine was running and it had a problem with the water pump motor and overheated , thats how it died .
Welcome aboard Isaac.

-
Back