YOUNG GUNS! Sign In and WIN

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
whoo way to go mopardude those are some nice prizes ther bud and again thanks to leanna and all the donors for thier genorisity congrats again mopardude hope this is a good pick me up for you:)

A big congratulations Ross :cheers: aka res1vw21:read2:
I am so happy for ya bud :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Following up on my March 30 post, I'm delighted to announce some good news! Since the party who donated it has gone MIA in the last month, 65BCODA has stepped up and offered to replace Ross / res1vw21's missing prize from the February 28 drawing!!!

Way to go Roger! You're truly an asset to FABO and we're lucky to have you. Thanks so much for helping to keep the prize distribution fair and for jumping in with yet another donation.

Can we still put up our stories? Will this be a monthly thing? I think I'll get mine ready and put it up on the 1 year anniversary of the day I picked up my Duster :D

Well, since it has been nearly a year (May 3rd) since I drove my baby home, I'll post up my story!

About me: I'm a freshman (almost a sophomore, woohoo!) in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Illinois. I've been a big Illini fan my whole life as I was born and raised here in Champaign, and I also spend a lot of time in music and am really interested in entrepreneurship as well. My parents didn't work on cars or anything, so I'm not sure where I got the itch to, but I've liked NASCAR for a long time and I guess I just always had a thing for cars. I don't know what it is, but I'd take a weekend hanging with friends, throwing the football around, making some bbq, and wrenching on a classic car over almost anything in the world.

The story of me and my 73 Duster started a few years ago when my two friends and I had the dream of having muscle cars. My friend Evan was the first to get one, he's a couple years older than me and got a 72 Mustang Mach 1. That summer we took it on the Hot Rod Power Tour (07). That got me thinking I could really pull this off and have my own muscle. I used to want a mustang but slowly as time went on I realized I was a fan of MOPAR muscle. Just love the look of them I guess, and the rarity compared to all the Chevelles and Camaros at the Power Tour that year really stuck out in my mind. Not to mention the legend that is the HEMI engine (when I graduated high school, I taped the word HEMI on the top of my mortar board!). So, next my friend got his 77 Corvette during the winter of 08-09 and I knew it was my turn to step up. I decided on a Duster (wish I could go for a Challenger or Cuda, but no way is that in an 18 year old's price range). Found a really nice one up in Wisconsin, but I missed out on it because my dad wouldn't let me buy it yet and then it wasn't for sale anymore. But, he came around to it being okay, we both went in for half the cost (as had been the agreement for a while) and this May, I picked up my 73 Duster near Louisville.

Specs (when I got it):
360 engine out of a '75
Comp Cams Magnum 280H (.480 lift, .280 duration).
340 HP exhaust manifolds
Exhaust ends under the car with what I think are just resonators
Thermoquad Carb
Power Steering, No Power Brakes
Originally a Slant Six with AC, not sure what other options (fender tag is from a different car)
Hemi Orange

Here's a little about the car, and what I've done with it so far:
- Got an alignment: The 5 hour drive home from Louisville wore the tires, which were nearly new, down to completely bald. The previous owner was nice enough to supply 2 new front tires for me with the car when I bought it knowing it was badly out of alignment.
- Replaced heater core: About a week later, the heater core (which I had been told "needed replaced") started to leak all over the carpet. I pulled the carpet out and changed the core with one the previous owner sold with the car (not a job for the weak of heart!)
- Fixed electrical gremlins (my least favorite): Car wouldn't start, cranking the engine caused smoking and crackling in the engine compartment. It turns out the big wire for the starter had been rubbing against the steering column which had worn all the way through the insulation down to the metal and was shorting out. In the process of fixing that, I inadvertently screwed one of my instrument cluster screws through the wiring harness. This gave me weird symptoms where I could run the car but not start it, and only with a certain fuse out. It took me a couple of months to finally fix this and needless to say I was very very glad to have FABO to help me out!
- Got tranny resealed: It leaked a decent amount and in multiple spots so I ended up taking her in to get a full re-seal job, doing pretty good now but the power steering still leaks some.
- New Holley 670 CFM Street Avenger: The car had problems with the fuel mixture, the thermoquad on there would stutter and die on full throttle, and it took a long time to start when it had run for a while and then sat for an hour or two. Finally got fed up with a carb too complicated for a beginner, and this March I got a new Holley 670 CFM Street avenger, put it on there with an adapter for the spreadbore intake. Took a while to get her to stop leaking but with friends and time we got it. Runs like new now, very happy I went with the new carb. Also put in new plugs since the old ones were pretty badly fouled.
- Added the stripes (see pics below)

Some other stuff I've worked on with my car friends (now and upcoming)
- Rewired the Mach 1 (good experience to re-wire a car from scratch, this was the second time we had to do it since the first was a disaster)
- Full new suspension on the Mach 1
- This summer we're putting new heads and a new intake manifold on the 'vette.
- On my daily driver (5-speed Mazda Protege) I've put in a new stereo and full sound system, painted up the rims, got my first taste of bondo-ing up a rusty wheel well, and a while ago I added a dixie horn. :cheers: That's the car I learned to drive and to drive stick on and it's my other baby even if it gets stuck in the Duster's shadow. It's still going strong and at 185k miles, and somehow on the ORIGINAL clutch, so I can't complain! Plus it's the same year as me! :thumbrig:

Next up:
- New suspension with 1" torsion bars, KYB shocks all around, and ESPO 6 leaf 1" above stock springs in the back.
- Finish the exhaust
- Get a stereo in there for cruising
- Fix power steering leak
- I have a duckbill spoiler to go on the back
- Either fix the paint or re-chrome the bumpers
- 8-3/4 rear end
- split bench with armrest

I have a lot of projects to keep me busy! I'm looking forward to sharing all my progress with you guys, I think the next thing I'm going to do is the suspension. I ultimately want to build a big-block cruiser (thinking a stroked 440 with low compression) but I may keep the Duster how it is and look in to another car that I could go ground-up on when I'm out of school and have the space. This summer my two friends and I will be on the Power Tour for a few days! I am thinking of making a poster for our three cars and if I do I will be sure to stick a FABO sticker on there somewhere :-D.

Here's a link to an album of photos of the Duster (and one of my friends' cars). Clicking on the photo should go to the album, I think, sorry if the photo is huge!

On the morning of last month's drawing, I got up early, drew the winner, drew the three prizes, sent a PM to the winner, made my formal announcement and went out to work. Boyyyyyyyy did I hear about it from Billy! For the January and February drawings, one of us had drawn the winner's name and the other drew the prizes ... and up until March 31, I never really realized how important it was to him to be involved. He was really mad at me about it.

So this morning as his butt slept in, I again got up early, made the coffee and read my email. I left the Folger's can of entrants' names on the chair, along with the butter dish full of prize numbers and a note to draw the winner and the stuff, and went out to the shop at 10:00.

He buzzed me on the intercom at 11 something. "You need to come in here." "Why? I'm working on this sign and can't really quit right now." "Just come in here for a minute please."

He hands me the long slip of paper with three little numbers stapled to it.

My eyes widened. I asked, "You just picked this randomly, right?"

"Ohhhhh yeahhhhh."

"Wow. I hope there's no appearance of impropriety. I sponsored this kid."

"Yeah I know. But they're good people baby. They'll understand."

* * *​

Soooooooo banking on Billy's assessment that ya'll will understand this is, always has been, and will always be a random drawing .....

Congratulations go out to HamesDart, Corbin Hames, of southern California!!! He joined FABO in May of 2008 (in fact, I think I referred him) and his story appears at Post #49. Corbin scored

Prize #6:
A 3" high by 36" long decal of the model name of the winner's car (Duster, Demon, etc.) in his/her choice of color, along with 6 smaller decals (1 1/2" x 12" or so) donated by GTGrinly​

Prize #22:
A 727 Racing Overhaul Kit from Andrews Racing Transmisissions ($150 value) donated by company owner Chris Andrews aka Duster346​

Prize #25:
$20.00 Gift Card from O’Reilly’s Auto Parts donated by Motopsycho​

Congrats Corbin!

Everyone, please also join me in sending special thanks and recognition of this month's sponsors, GTGrinly, Duster346 and Motopsycho. I couldn't do this without you guys!

CONGRATS.....you scored good!.

and thanks for all who have helped make this this contest possible for those who are apart of it!

Allright Corbin!!! Another Young Gun gets his day!!!! Now go and party like its your birthday!!! Geof

Congratulations Corbin! And thanks to those who contributed to this month's lucky winner.8)

Congrat's Corbin :cheers:
And a big thank you to our folks Phoenix Specialty Coatings :cheers:eek:ur Mistress of Metal and Billy :cheers::cheers::cheers:
Last but not least :happy10: A big thank you goes out to our member's that jumped in and donated parts and help for the young guns here.:cheers::cheers::cheers: Yall are all sooooo 8)8)

Well I'm drew I just turned 18 and like others have been a bowtie person still am but I recently drug my 66 valiant out and took it to the school to start getting it drivable again I really don't know for sure what way I wanna go with it I've seen cars like mine on the Internet that look good as a stock vehicle but also I want to make a nice street rod that my dad and I can show off. I've been workin on cars with my dad for quite awhile because he's raced ever since I can remember. We built a dirt burner in our front yard and ever since then I've been hooked on cars. Right now I'm planning on just making the car drivable again and goin from there. I aquired it in a trade and thought about selling it until I started working on it and there's something about it that I like. It's a step by step process to get it where I want it because I'm trying to save for college and fix it all at once. It's a slant 6 automatic but I hope to have a 340 or maybe even a 360 in it when it's all said and done. I haven't had any luck on finding what parts I need but this site has helped a bunch. If there's any suggestions on what way I should go with this project I'd like to hear them because this is the first mopar I've owned and I'm really not sure what way to go with it. That's all about me and my car.

just a bump to the front of the line for all the contestants had to go back 5 pages to find it 3 days to go whoooo !!!!

its about that time of the month huh?

lets see who is the lucky one this month and what cool stuff they get!!!

Thanks for the bumps guys!

New members, get those stories posted and send me a link to it ASAP if you wish to participate in the May 31 drawing.

Congratulations go out this month to whom I believe is FABO's youngest member, CudaGirl, Nella Galliher, of Pinckney, Michigan! Nella scored these terrific prizes:

#2 Cash donation (based upon number of members) from Small Block
#3 $20 gas money from Memike
#20 Thermoquad carburetor (works, but could probably use a rebuild) from godfatherofchry

Nella joined us here on FABO in March of 2009. Her story and her convertible SunFish can be found at Post #114.

Please join me in tossing out a big Way To Go! to CudaGirl and the members who kindly donated the cash and carburetor for this month's contest!!!

I hope you enjoy your prizes Nella! :-D

Congratulations go out this month to whom I believe is FABO's youngest member, CudaGirl, Nella Galliher, of Pinckney, Michigan! Nella scored these terrific prizes:

#2 Cash donation (based upon number of members) from Small Block
#3 $20 gas money from Memike
#20 Thermoquad carburetor (works, but could probably use a rebuild) from godfatherofchry

Nella joined us here on FABO in March of 2009. Her story and her convertible SunFish can be found at Post #114.

Please join me in tossing out a big Way To Go! to CudaGirl and the members who kindly donated the cash and carburetor for this month's contest!!!

I hope you enjoy your prizes Nella! :-D

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers: That is so cool!! and I thought my Strong end could not get better :happy10::happy10:
Congratulations Nella =D> I get to put some cruising gas in your Barracuda when they go for her first drive :love7::wave::wave::hello2::hello2:
Yall do know she is my Valentine this year don't ya :happy10:
It don't get better then this :-D, I take Victoria to the track and have a great day and my evening here at home is brightened :cheers:
Here is Victoria Nella :happy10: She did real good at the track and made me very happy 8) another thread I stated .

I have never showed this picture yet till know. here ya go Nella :happy10:

SOUND CHECK FUEL 1 077.jpg

way to go Nella those are some great prizes from some great members thanks to all for another great month way to go Nella!!

Giving this a little bump to the top since my winner's announcement was made so late last night. Sorry for the under-exposure CudaGirl!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back