Young guns-sign in contest 2011

-
Project 65 Peter, are the non-winning entrants from last year's Young Guns contest eligible again this time around if they post a link to their story (and maybe give us an update on the car(s) since last year) here in your thread?

It is too late to throw a pair of custom-coated small block Mickey Thompson valve covers into the Prize Package? Of course, the winner can choose his / her powder color from anything I have in stock at the time, as well as any desired polishing /machine finish on the ribs and logos. Please note that I'm still working through backlog and have gotten in some new work since the initial contest announcement, so I can't promise they'll be ready to go by Christmas ... but the offer's out there if the winner is patient. These will be a mutual gift from HawaiiDuster and me since he told me to put them to good use. :-D

Great stories guns!! :-D Keep them coming. Ya'll make me proud to be a motorhead.

i hope they are cudachick!

my name is brandon lawson i am now 21 as of aug 16:hello2:

ive always liked muscle cars, at age 16 we went looking for my first car my family took me to a tow yard and there was a orange muscle car there and when i first saw it i knew i had to have it, it was a 73 plymouth duster /6 running everything stock ex the paint. we bought it for 1000$ and the funny thing was that i didnt even know what it was or who even made it lol but i got it anyway because it looked so kool.

so this car was my high school car and got me pretty popular and btw i live in the city not in the middle of nowhere, over my high school yrs i was always mainting the car and driving it everywhere. this car even took me to prom for my senior year i loved this car so much. i took auto class for two years and learned the basics but when i really started to learn stuff was when i was hands on and gaining experience. people said that those /6 were bullet proof but i managed to go threw 2 of them before i graduated high skool.

after i graduated i parked the car and decided to finally do a v8 swap so i went searching for a 318 and 1 1/2 yrs of the car sitting i rebuilt a 318 with the following in my sig and all was bought new. it felt really good when i turned that key the first time to break the engine in knowing that i rebuilt it myself with my hard earned money. since then ive upgraded the rear to a 8 3/4 with 3.91 s.g heres my link http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/...d.php? t=147984 and i am in the process of swaping the front to disc and im going to yang the engine back out because i would like to change up the heads, int, cam, and carb because of all of the information i have gathered here on this site you guys are amazing and this place shows incredible knowledge and i am greatfull to have found this site.

mopar is my blood because of my past and i love it i have more plans for the future of course but at times i struggle i have the time but not the money.. i am getting married in a 1 1/2 and i only have a couple more months to do what ever i can to the car before i need to start saving for the wedding. hopefully i can do body and paint after the wedding i would like to paint it omaha orange and black interior but that wont happen for yrs lol..... O and my dream car is a 71 cuda well idk the yr yet but that body style with a hemi.

My future plans for my car is after settling in and the wedding I would like to start building a mean smallblock for smashing my competition out and body/paint...and finish the interior.

the one most valuable lesson i have learned is that you learn from mistakes and thats what it takes to gain experience.. I really didn't have anyone to help more or guide me and that's why I made some mistakes but I'm glad because I wouldn't be here with the knowledge I know now. thanks for reading and thanks for this awesome website with awesome people

IMburnout1.jpg

Imbbody.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAzNjcuanBn.jpg

Vids

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9096U07s-Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]73 Duster 318 first time start up - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnAKeQwpFZ8&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Plymouth duster 318 burnout - YouTube[/ame]

Hi Leanna.Contest is also open to all who entered the last Young Gun contest.They can post a link or send in a new story.An UPDATE on thier daily driver or project would be great.It's not too late to donate the Mickey Thompson valve covers.Thank you and HawaiiDuster for your generous donation. Peter

Thx. for sending in your GREAT stories for the other young guns to read and for the rest of us who are not so young but still young at heart.G.L. everyone!!

My story started almost 13 Years ago.

I was 10 years old, and had a deep love for A-Bodies since my Dad had a '73 340 Duster and my Grandfather had a '71 340 Duster (they both still have those cars. My dad bought his in '76 and my grandfather ordered his brand new) My grandfather had a pair of A-Bodies sitting in the mountains behind his house. A '71 340 4-Speed Demon and a '73 340 Auto Dart Sport. I worked all summer for my grandfather to earn those cars. And finally the day came when they were mine, I pestered my dad all week to bring them home.

That Saturday we went over with the Rollback and no sooner than we started to pull the Demon up on the Rollback, the subframe on the car broke in 6 different locations :sad5: Still we loaded it up, and hooked the Dart to sling behind the bed.

I worked on the Demon for several months, but the further in i got, the worse the car looked. I was devastated when the choice finally came to send it off to the mopar parking lot in the sky. My dad knew i was crushed by the decision, so he offered me his '84 Dodge D50 4x4 Pickup (I wanted a "First Car/Truck and it had to be a Dodge/Plymouth of some kind) The Dart was in rough shape, but i decided to strip it down and store it in the garages (it's still in boxes to this day)

I spent the next couple years tinkering on the old D50, it needed some TLC but was a strong runner, My dad had built up the 2.6L Engine and it was running the reliable 904 Torqueflite Automatic. Me being young though, I wanted the 5-Speed and converted the truck over to a Manual Transmission. Over the next few years it ate several 5-Speeds (4 or 5 of them to be exact), The 5-Speeds weren't strong enough to handle more than a stock 2.6L

Meanwhile, I was still on the search for an A-Body. And in 2006 the search paid off, I found a '74 Duster on Fleabay, and won the car for $500 and some odd change (cost me $630 by the time i paid for the title transfer, and the gas to tow it home) It wasn't the 340 4-Speed Demon that I was so desperately seeking, but it was an A-Body. The car itself was in great condition and still had the original 318/904 in it (but was part way through a 4-Speed Conversion). And came with enough Used, Spare & NOS Parts to completely fill the car and the bed of the truck too.

Over the course of about a year I put the car back together, after deciding on a built up 340 and 727 Torqueflite Transmission. Building it as close to my "Dream Car" as I could at the time (finances limited what i could do). Complete with a '70 Challenger T/A Slapstik Shifter, A-Body Center Console, Bucket Seats, Rallye Cluster, Ductail Spoiler, 8-3/4" Rear, and whatever else I felt the car needed. This was around the same time that I discovered that Subframe rails were available new (and boy that was depressing, because my '71 Demon was surely a Honda by now :sad5: )

And by Winter 2007 it was ready, and by Spring 2008 I drove it for the first time, In Primer :D It quickly snapped the motor mounts and cracked the K-Frame... Back into the Garage for Solid Mounts, Chains & K-Frame Reinforcements.

At the same time, A friend called me and wanted to know if i was interested in a Rust Free "Arizona car" 340 4-Speed Demon :prayer: I quickly jumped in the ole D50 and hauled butt over to his house to check out the car. It was a 340 4-Speed Demon, only a '72 and not the '71 that was still eluding me. But the Price was right ($1,000) And it was Numbers Matching. I came back that weekend, Cash in Hand with my Dad & the Rollback and the Demon followed us home.

The Duster continued to under go modifications, Every winter i would yank the 340 out, tear it down and throw money at it for more power :D And by 2009 it finally wore a coat of paint.

Another A-Body joined my collection, A '65 Formula S 'Cuda. But that '71 Demon was still nowhere in sight. And my old D50 finally kicked the bucket after 270,000 miles of life as a Plow Truck/Work Truck/Daily Driver :sad5: I had grown quite attached to the little truck and wasn't ready to see it become a Honda like my demon had. So I yanked the 2.6L Gas Engine and proceeded to drop in a Intercooled 2.5L Turbo Diesel and matching 5-Speed Transmission, Lifted the Truck, Stuffed 40" Tires under it, and as of this year it is back on the road again, once again putting along like the truck I remembered.

The Demon search continued up until last year when a friend contacted me and wanted to know if I wanted to buy his two A-Bodies and the parts he had collected, because his Wife wanted a Charger instead. Traded some parts and $1,500 later I had a '71 Demon and '71 Duster sitting in the parking lot. They came with extra parts, a 1972 340/833 combo, and an A-Body 8-3/4" Rear

It wasn't quite the '71 Demon I had pictured from 12 years in the past. It was a Slant 6 / 904 Car (and the Duster a S6 / 3 on the tree car). But by this time my "Dream Car" had transformed into a Supercharged Hemi 4-Speed Demon, and I finally had the platform for it. The Elusive '71 Demon was finally home, and many years had gone by. I felt brave enough to take on such an expansive Restoration/Modification finally, and knew what parts were available this time around, and what i was capable of making/fabricating too.

Another A-Body, yet again, joined my collection. This time around a 1974 (low mileage survivor) Plymouth Scamp. My Neighbor was a Cheby Guy and he told me the first $100 took "the piece of crap" out of his yard. I pulled out my wallet and handed him $100 right away, without even seeing the car. Because no matter how rough it would be, there had to be $100 worth of parts to it. Instead to my surprise, I now owned a beautiful Slant 6 Scamp with Low Miles, Options out the Wazoo, the only visible damage was a dent in the front bumper and some holes in the headliner from field mice.

Bringing my collection of A-Bodies up to 7, The boss (my grandfather) was getting upset by the huge line of muscle cars taking up half of the parking lot at the garage, but i reminded him.. "My search is over, the '71 Demon is finally home!" Since then he hasn't complained a bit.

To this day though, My '74 Duster is my Baby, and will continue to be. It was the first major project I had taken on and finished. Fast approaching 23, it only took me 12 years to find the Demon that i so badly desired :D

And now, for some picture-y goodness

The '74, my Summer Daily Driver (and eventual Supercharged car, the parts have been sitting on the shelf in the garage for almost 2 years now)

SANY0103.jpg

340.jpg

SANY0109.jpg

S5000468-1.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlDj9OsUZPM"]1974 340 Duster Idle - YouTube[/ame]

Yes that's an 8-Track Radio in the Dash (with a 10 Disc CD Changer and 10GB Mp3 Player) and your eyes are correct, those are fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror. It's not a muscle car without some fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror, lol.

The ole D50 that's been around since the "Demon days", My first truck, and it will continue to hang around for as long as i'm alive.

SANY0144.jpg

And finally, that elusive Demon that took me so long to find.

SANY0145.jpg

All drawings are Dec. 1st. so prizes will be received before Christmas.* winner of valve covers will have to wait for Cudachick1968 to work her magic on them.*

All drawings are Dec. 1st. so prizes will be received before Christmas.* winner of valve covers will have to wait for Cudachick1968 to work her magic on them.*

what kinda valve covers? nothing but BB and slants here LOL

Due to lack of responses contest will more than likely be shortened to end of Oct.Thx. to all who have sent in their stories.

My name is Zach and I am 24. I realized i was a Mopar guy (along with the rest of my family)my senior year of high school. I was helping buddy find a dodge charger so that he could restore it. I found a 74 charger SE for him and we went to pick it up. As we were leaving the seller came out and gave us two boxes worth of 318 parts and a 78 318 block. We got the car to my friends house and for helping him he gave me the 318 stuff as there was a 440 sitting in the car already. I took the engine home and to my parents surprise told him I wanted to rebuild it to sell and make some cash to put into my 95 ram. Well nearly 2 grand later (the engine was Little worn out) My father and I had a fresh 318 sitting in the garage. I decided that I could not sell an engine that i had just built. The search for a car to put it in began.

After months of searching I found a 74 Plymouth duster for 500$ on (believe it or not) Myspace. I went and looked at the car one night without a flashlight. It didn't look to bad and ran so I purchased it and tried to drive it home the next week. I say tried because the fuel tank was so rusty it clogged the fuel filter up 3 times before I had to get my dad to come tow us back home.

We brought the car into the garage 3 months later and began pulling it apart. I worked on it every weekend while i was in tech school and bought parts on the occasion that i had money in my pocket. It was an absolute mess. The quarter panels, trunk extensions, inner fenders, fenders , and the hood had to be replaced as well as some frame patching. I put 8 3/4 from a 66 charger under the rear and the 198 Ci \6 3 speed was pulled. I also purchased an alterkation coil over system as the factory K member looked like it had been cut in half and welded back together. A year later he car was sent to the body shop for final blocking and painting. After that the 318 and a 4 speed OD was installed as well as an all re-upholstered interior.

Some goodies were added to the engine after a lifter went out. And a new clutch and 4 speed were installed. I have also had to re wire the car after a choke wire decided to become a ground wire. I have learned allot form this car. One day, I plan to tear it down again. Hopefully buy that time I will have a little more cash and allot more "know how" to put things together the way I see it.

vbpicgallery.php

Attachments

• i12115.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 151
  • side2.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 25216670051_medium.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 148
My name is Jake Jablonski. I am 20, in a week, and have a 66 barracuda from Alabama that I got from my grandfather Thanksgiving 2007 as kind of a late birthday present, annnd it wasn't exactly in the best of shape.
7618_103905186290010_100000115862640_110482_6762694_n.jpg

So, we took it up to Wisc and cleaned the outside, and let it sit for the winter.
The next spring, 2008, we started work on it with me basically ripping out the entire interior, then getting new seat covers, headliner, and carpet and repainting the interior trim which went over the period of 2 years.
7618_103905176290011_100000115862640_110479_2683880_n.jpg

7618_103905146290014_100000115862640_110470_5039652_n.jpg

As the pictures show, it is a light blue car paint code CC1 with a dark metallic blue interior, 2 year option only, 66 and 67. This was pretty much all that happened in 08.
Early 2009, we bought an 360/727 engine tranny combo from a neighbor for $500. I also got a paint job that same time. which is my avatar
7618_103905139623348_100000115862640_110468_7737671_n.jpg

For about a month that May, after it finally got warm enough to do things outside again, all I did after we yanked the \6 was clean that engine bay. Working weekends because of school. We got the car completely drivable by about the middle of July. In mid June I get an exhaust put on with 2 1/4 inch pipes and genaric flowmaster 40s. When trying to take off fast from a stop sign a week right at the end of the month later blew the trans up...:angry7: Had to take the motor and the trans out again, it was hard enough getting it in and take the trans to a shop so, $700 dollars later, I have a new transmission and a $500 360 with a rod knock.
7618_103905152956680_100000115862640_110472_6984006_n.jpg

And squirrels got in my car in the fall while I was replacing the heater motor and core when the transmission was out of service.

7618_103905456289983_100000115862640_110508_8057682_n.jpg

10718_103905462956649_100000115862640_110510_5959493_n.jpg

May 2010: door panels in, door locks finally connected. It drives but has a surge that worries my dad. Replace coil, still does it, replace Carter that was on there back with the Holley, still does it, $300 and new Edelbrock 1406 carb later, problem fixed. I drive it to school the first day of the last, last week of school and get a $10 ticket for not having a permit. Worth it? Yes.

Next on the list, Cragar 15s for the back and some freaking sound deadener. Holy crap is it loud inside, and not in a good way.

Really, ever since then I've driven it around for a while not doing anything to it. I've just been driving it nicely so it the the rod knock doesn't get any worse. It was my daily driver for this summer and last summer. Hopefully I don't crash my caprice again so my savings to rebuild the engine will actually be there this time. Right now I don't have much money to be spending on much of anything.

And because someone else did a vid:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw1jChINdo8&feature=channel_video_title"]66 barracuda exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

@Project, I remember sending you a link to the post a while back for the drawing, did you get it?

I have been around mopars all my life and I am 13 years old and have a 1984 dodge rampage i'm in the process of restoring it has a 2.2 and a five speed. My plans are to keep it all original and paint maroon with the matching two tone maroon interior. And I have a rat rod with a .30 over 340 727 and a 8 3/4 rear

From a rough count, it looks like there's 17 prizes ... and only 19 stories. It's nice that just about everyone who entered is probably going to win something, but personally I wish the turnout had been a lot better. It's really cool seeing how ya'll got into this and watching where your rides will go from here.

-
Back