10's on $5,000 ?

-
A certain member here has this thread in his head. He brought it up again tonight :) He loves me, He loves me not. He loves me, He loves me not.
So for the love (or lack thereof), I'll post an update in the original thread. Also, I'd like to point out the title of this thread has "?", so it's a question, not a statement. "10's on 5k ?" - a question. Also, the opening post I plainly said "attempt". Then, when I bought the truck, I basically said "buying the truck put a big hurdle, but onward, about the journey anyways."
  • Friends, this has turned into "my wife and I's" project, and happy are we. We are ahead of schedule, looking for 7's in the 1/8 from a 200,*** 5.9 magnum that we didn't even pull the oil pan off of. 440 is still in the works, and will it be enough to go 6.9's ? and I believe 6.9's in the 1/8 will = 10.9's in the 1/4 ??
  • Do we seriously have an outside shot with an all steel, brick-faced, long bed pickup??? (where would we be if we would have bought and gutted a 4 dr car???) Hmmm....
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think we're going to run at least 7.99 my first time out (I hope :rolleyes:) this Spring. But now I'm caught in a dilemma. 6.9's should be a 10.9 in the 1/4, so we need to pull 1 full second more in the 1/8 from where we are now. That will be the hardest full second to gain. We have plenty of budget left, should I throw it at the 360 and go for the full second? Or should we pull the 360 and go forward with the 440 ? :realcrazy::realcrazy::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::realcrazy::realcrazy:

I think we're going to run at least 7.99 my first time out (I hope :rolleyes:) this Spring. But now I'm caught in a dilemma. 6.9's should be a 10.9 in the 1/4, so we need to pull 1 full second more in the 1/8 from where we are now. That will be the hardest full second to gain. We have plenty of budget left, should I throw it at the 360 and go for the full second? Or should we pull the 360 and go forward with the 440 ? :realcrazy::realcrazy::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::realcrazy::realcrazy:
I forget what you're trying to get in the 10's, truck or Duster ?

The 440 will be the easiest path of the 2, in your particular situation.

I know you have induction, headers, etc for small blocks.
Do you have anything for a big block.
4.10 gear, correct?

I know you have induction, headers, etc for small blocks.
Do you have anything for a big block.
4.10 gear, correct?
  • 4.30 gear is in the truck
  • I have the 440 & 727, 440 Torker intake, and B-body headers
  • Same Hughes converter should (might) work

My vote would be to see you get there with the 5.9. And I’d recommend a simple adjustable plate kit with a separate fuel supply with good gas in it. Hit it with 100hp and see where it gets you. Then 150hp, then…….. until it runs the number. If the 5.9 has some miles on it and you use good gas and are conservative with the timing it will live and be a lot of fun.

I think a true 10.1 comp 440 with a ported iron /aluminum head , camshaft similar to the 590 and an 850 DP would get you there.

My vote would be to see you get there with the 5.9. And I’d recommend a simple adjustable plate kit with a separate fuel supply with good gas in it. Hit it with 100hp and see where it gets you. Then 150hp, then…….. until it runs the number. If the 5.9 has some miles on it and you use good gas and are conservative with the timing it will live and be a lot of fun.
NOS would make it easy. At least for a pass or three... LOL. NOS won't be used.

I think a true 10.1 comp 440 with a ported iron /aluminum head , camshaft similar to the 590 and an 850 DP would get you there.
that may be what ends up in there.... 440 has been the plan all the long, but to be honest, the 5.9 has pushed it faster than we thought at this point considering no real tuning at all. We literally threw a untouched 198,*** mile short block in the truck and with the DP, clicked off a 8.27 on it's one clean pass. We've been making a few minor changes, and with some tuning we are confident 7.99 is there.

... and by the way, the 1st post says "me, my son, and son-in-law". It's me and my wife doing the build :)

-
Back