11.50 slant six

-

slantscamp

Reaction score
hey guys. i thought i would share this video of a members car at bakersfield last week.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ttnaGK0Caw"]YouTube - Video 291[/ame]

Very cool! Too bad that drag strip won't let you get close enough where could have actually seen the pass.

Read somewhere that you could spend about $2500 and do all the wrenchin' yourself and get in the 12's. Any truth to that? Would LOVE to see a parts list for that!

Waynerd

Read somewhere that you could spend about $2500 and do all the wrenchin' yourself and get in the 12's. Any truth to that? Would LOVE to see a parts list for that!

Waynerd

There was a guy running a cast iron crank /6 and pushing 20lbs of boost through it in a pickup with no intercooler and running faster than 12s, it was his daily driver, eventually he blew the crank out the bottom end though.:-D

Waynerd

Normally aspired, I would have to say not likely. A lot would depend on the amount of work you could do yourself (Head work would be critical), and the weight of the car.
With power adders, definetley possible. My 66 Valiant has already gone low 13's, and the whole car was built for about $1500, including buying the car. I now have about $2,000 in it. There is still a lot more in the car. Last Saturday, I made a 1/4mile pass that was.
60ft-1.768
1/8 8.29 at 78.88 mph
1/4 13.735 at only 78.30 mph, Had a bad shimmy/vibration in the front end, so let up way early.
Link to the build

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11218

Normally aspired, I would have to say not likely. A lot would depend on the amount of work you could do yourself (Head work would be critical), and the weight of the car.
With power adders, definetley possible. My 66 Valiant has already gone low 13's, and the whole car was built for about $1500, including buying the car. I now have about $2,000 in it. There is still a lot more in the car. Last Saturday, I made a 1/4mile pass that was.
60ft-1.768
1/8 8.29 at 78.88 mph
1/4 13.735 at only 78.30 mph, Had a bad shimmy/vibration in the front end, so let up way early.
Link to the build

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11218
Charlie is the master of slants. Glad to hear his opinion on this

Had a friend of mine, Buddy Borg, who lived here in Austin that ran /6's exclusively. Funny old bastard, died a couple years ago....but he was FAST. Knew how to build 'em. Wish he was still around, I'd be at his shop everyday looking for info!

Thanks Charrlie, I'll use some of your advice if ya don' mind...

Waynerd

Thanks Charrlie, I'll use some of your advice if ya don' mind...

Waynerd
I don't mind at all. Just remember one thing. I am a bucks down builder/racer. I don't build the best possible, I build whatever will work on a very limited budget. There are slanters that have better combo's, because they have a little more in their budget. Build what you can afford, and have fun.

I don't mind at all. Just remember one thing. I am a bucks down builder/racer. I don't build the best possible, I build whatever will work on a very limited budget. There are slanters that have better combo's, because they have a little more in their budget. Build what you can afford, and have fun.

I hear you, Charlie!

My partner, Freddie Nielsen and I are trying to build a slant six racer right now, and who knows how it will run? We started to build a "junkyard car", but I got greedy, and talked him into some new parts (we originally were going to use all used parts; nothing "new,") and have ended up pretty much going overboard on this one, but when it's done (early next year, probably) we are going to build a car that adheres to our ORIGINAL PLAN, and see how quick we can go. We'll probably have a lot more fun with the junkyard car than this one!!!! Lookin' forward to seeing how quick and fast we can go on less than $2,500.00, total expenditure. Or, thereabouts.

Stay tuned...

Bill

Mark and I are tunning cars that have really simular engine builds.He is running a Jeffries head, and I am running a head I ported and polished.We both had Faria racing valves......but I think Mark switched his. He is running a dofferent cam, and valve springs.....I am hoping to switch to a comp cam w/ his grind.Mark knows his stuff....he is getting bigger an better all the time.
Andrew/Kidd

Mark and I are tunning cars that have really simular engine builds.He is running a Jeffries head, and I am running a head I ported and polished.We both had Faria racing valves......but I think Mark switched his. He is running a dofferent cam, and valve springs.....I am hoping to switch to a comp cam w/ his grind.Mark knows his stuff....he is getting bigger an better all the time.
Andrew/Kidd

Keep us posted. Although we are now using a blow-through carbureted setup we can always learn a lot from the normally aspirated cars.

Having someone to swap ideas with and compare notes, who is running a similar engine setup to yours, is invaluable, I think.

We have "picked" poor old Tom Wolfe's (Shaker223) brain unmercifully, and have benefitted greatly from his excellent advice and information. Without his help, we'd be at LEAST a year behind where we are, now, and probably more. He's saved us a ton of money, too.

Guys like him, Ryan, Frank Brent, and Charrlie are very generous with their time and information, and we all benefit greatly from it.

Sharing this "home brew" technical information is really beneficial to us all, so please, let us know what you're up to. We're all ears!!!!

Thanks!!!

Bill,
are you going to run that head i sent you form vegas last spring?

That head turned out to be 100-percent in every good way. The machinist said the porting job was excellent, it didn't even need a valve job, MagnaFlux showed NO cracks and it was flat, end-to-end, within .001".

We had him put an A-1, three-angle valve job on it, anyway. Since it was virtually flat, already, and we didn't need any more compression (turbo car) we just put a new set of 340 valve springs on it, along with some moderate "inners" and it's ready to rock.

Thanks SO MUCH for that head; it turned out to be magnificent!!!:cheers:

Bill

Attachments

• slantsixfred6.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 266
i saw mark run an 11.97 at MATS last march.......he's getting quicker :burnout:

same, talked to a while and hes a nice guy and really the setup of the car is almost stock in the suspension department.
I think it was 'clamped' old springs, heck there was even binding going on with the shackle if I remember right.

maybe he'll chime in?

That head turned out to be 100-percent in every good way. The machinist said the porting job was excellent, it didn't even need a valve job, MagnaFlux showed NO cracks and it was flat, end-to-end, within .001".

We had him put an A-1, three-angle valve job on it, anyway. Since it was virtually flat, already, and we didn't need any more compression (turbo car) we just put a new set of 340 valve springs on it, along with some moderate "inners" and it's ready to rock.

Thanks SO MUCH for that head; it turned out to be magnificent!!!:cheers:

Bill
Great glad that worked out, you have to let me know how fast you run when you get it going. i just had to replace the head on mine and was thinking about that big valve head.

Great glad that worked out, you have to let me know how fast you run when you get it going. i just had to replace the head on mine and was thinking about that big valve head.

We are making good progress on the car, but still have a lot to do; chassis work (we're putting tubular upper control arms and aftermarket disks on the front), we have to buy an aluminum radiator, our transmission is still at the shop, we'll need a drivesshaft, and a fuel system, and the interior (roll cage, included) is yet to be installed, so, it's gonna be probably next spring before it runs.

We're hoping for some low 11 second runs, but talk's cheap; we'll see!!8)

Thanks for your interest!

Bill 'n' Freddie

Attachments

• valbert1-3.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 172
Given the huge weight advantage your car will have over my car.....low 11's would be a shakedown part throttle pass.

But, some guys can break a crowbar in a sandbox. I'm afraid I'm one of 'em...

So, anyway, thanks for your confidence. I hope we can be worthy of it!:read2:

We'll see....=P~

-
Back