12:05 Garage- ’70 Duster build

-
Nice!

Always wanted to try to add ABS and traction control, but haven’t even done more than said “wonder if…”. Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Drove the car through some dense fog over a 24 mile bridge over water this past weekend to auto cross.

You can see how much the driver side tires flatten out in that curve!

I'm really enjoying the whole driving around cones thing and starting to learn things about the car and how to drive it. One big thing is I'm not nearly close enough to the cones. On my last run I felt like I took out several cones and I didn't even touch one! GoPro video is also proof I'm too far away from them. There was a guy there with a badass 69 Mustang (with 315s at all corners) who was a wealth of knowledge. I'm hoping to put some of the information I learned from him to work in the future.

ax december 6.jpg
ax december.jpg

Drove the car through some dense fog over a 24 mile bridge over water this past weekend to auto cross.

You can see how much the driver side tires flatten out in that curve!

I'm really enjoying the whole driving around cones thing and starting to learn things about the car and how to drive it. One big thing is I'm not nearly close enough to the cones. On my last run I felt like I took out several cones and I didn't even touch one! GoPro video is also proof I'm too far away from them. There was a guy there with a badass 69 Mustang (with 315s at all corners) who was a wealth of knowledge. I'm hoping to put some of the information I learned from him to work in the future.

View attachment 1715831848 View attachment 1715831849

Man I like your car!! Just looks right.

Car is looking great!

How's the handling on it?

Honestly, its pretty damn impressive. This was only my third time on an autocross. I'm still learning not only how to autocross well, but also learning how hard I can push the car. I have found I get quite a bit of understeer when I really push into hard corners. I thought this was due to having smallish tires in the front. Fortunately, the gentleman with the Mustang was able to make some suggestions, one of which is to get a rear sway bar to reduce understeer. On my last run I pushed hard into two turns and fought understeer bad and was only .005 slower than my faster run. That tells me I was on a good run had it not been for those two corners slowing me down.

I haven't worked on the car much through the holidays as I've bene busy with other proejcts. I finalize the rear wheel speed sensor bracket and will get it installed within the next couple days. The darn deutsch connectors are on backorder, so i may hardwire them for now just to get going. I'll share some pics once I have it installed.

rear speed sensor 2.jpg
rear speed sensor 3.jpg
rear speed sensor.jpg

Do you have any documentation for the TKO kit you used? I expect it has been a really long time, but thought I would ask. Specifically looking for info on the throw out bearing.

I am looking at doing a 5 or 6 speed swap into my car, finally got over the hump of cutting it. Leaning towards the close ratio TKX with a cast bell from Lakewood with the plan to use my existing mechanical linkage. Can't find any info on what people used, almost everyone does a juice clutch it seems. I saw you mention that you were using a mechanical setup so wondered if maybe you had some ideas.

Thanks.

Do you have any documentation for the TKO kit you used? I expect it has been a really long time, but thought I would ask. Specifically looking for info on the throw out bearing.

I am looking at doing a 5 or 6 speed swap into my car, finally got over the hump of cutting it. Leaning towards the close ratio TKX with a cast bell from Lakewood with the plan to use my existing mechanical linkage. Can't find any info on what people used, almost everyone does a juice clutch it seems. I saw you mention that you were using a mechanical setup so wondered if maybe you had some ideas.

Thanks.

I bought a Kiesler conversion kit from a guy who never installed it. I didn't have any documentation with it. I don't recall what throwout bearing it has. If memory serves me correctly, the clutch and pressure plate are for a mustang. I'm using cast bellhousing that keisler modified to accept the TKO. I'm also using a stock Z-bar that I modified with heim joints.
I'm sorry I'm not much help here.

I bought a Kiesler conversion kit from a guy who never installed it. I didn't have any documentation with it. I don't recall what throwout bearing it has. If memory serves me correctly, the clutch and pressure plate are for a mustang. I'm using cast bellhousing that keisler modified to accept the TKO. I'm also using a stock Z-bar that I modified with heim joints.

No worries. I remembered seeing that someone else had bought it and you got it second hand, just hoped maybe it had come with some documentation.

Thanks.

Tripped over this just now:

"used a throwout bearing for a late 90's jeep 4.0 5 speed wrangler, as it fits the tremec and mopar fork together like it was made to"

70 duster: updating, and a no-dough pro-touring makeover

His swap was with a 3550, but pretty sure the TKO/TKX was pretty similar if not the same forward of the bellhousing flange. He used this thread as a template and even talked to the guy so probably works.

The street miles had really put a beating on the paint. I'm not the kind of guy that washes and waxes the car every weekend and it showed. The annual fund raiser car show at my kids school was this past weekend, so I figured a proper detail was in order. I have a friend that works for a company that manufactures professional level detailing tools, pads, and compounds. He volunteered to come help polish the car. I have to admit, it looks pretty damn good. That single stage paint came back to life!

car3.jpg
car4.jpg
car5.jpg
car.jpg
car1.jpg

Here’s the drawing. Since I don’t know how precise the laser cutter will be, I had the holes cut smaller than needed so I can drill them to a true 1/2”. I ordered them this morning from sendcutsend.com. They were only $14/ea. And had free shipping. All the local shops had a minimum order so I was forced to use an online resource. Oshcut.com was considerably more expensive per part, setup fee, and charged for shipping.
I guess I need to order all the other parts to get this done. Turning out to be much easier than anticipated.

View attachment 1715688580
Whelp, I'm obviously late to the game here and I really wish I had came across this Build earlier.
Because I just paid Vlad, Invincible Extremes Muscle Cars Garage, $440 for his brackets to do an "Affordable" 2014 Mustang GT brake swap.
To be honest, I should have waited but, after talking to him I started acquiring parts then I found out his price had doubled... Must be the "Putin Price Hike".

Whelp, I'm obviously late to the game here and I really wish I had came across this Build earlier.
Because I just paid Vlad, Invincible Extremes Muscle Cars Garage, $440 for his brackets to do an "Affordable" 2014 Mustang GT brake swap.
To be honest, I should have waited but, after talking to him I started acquiring parts then I found out his price had doubled... Must be the "Putin Price Hike".
Vlad is working himself to death lately and dealing with family health issues.

If I wouldn't have already owned the Viper Brembos, I would have likely used the Mustang Brembos. I'm sure the mounting bracket is similar to what I did.

Here's a screenshot of a datalog from an auto cross event over the weekend. This is showing the traction control at work. The line legend is shown in the top right of each graph. You can see when the rear wheel speed (top green) runs away from the front wheel (top yellow), the computer starts pulling timing (bottom graph). All this happens in about .1 seconds.
I'll be honest, I didn't know the traction control was taking over when I was driving. I thought it just started hooking up. There is a dip in throttle during the wheel spin, but that was only about .5 seconds. There was a cone shortly after the start and I was trying to pedal it to gain some lateral control.
Overall I had a good day driving around the cones. I put forth a conscience effort to learn the course (walked it 3 times). I also worked on some left foot braking. My efforts netted me over a 2 second improvement from my first run to my last. I took a ride in a 98 mustang cobra and I was amazed at the handling difference. He was running 3 seconds faster than me, which is an eternity. Then I reminded myself that he has rear IRS, 315s all around, 30 year newer suspension design, and a steering rack! I may not be the fastest out there, but I am definitely the most different. I love it when the young import guys say they are looking forward to seeing my turd run around the course.

graph.png

Looking great as always!

Looks like I need to go back and do some reading on your traction control set up!

Sweet!

How's the G3 parts acquisitions progressing?

Not as quickly as I had hoped. Some big home projects took priority most of the winter and into the spring. I honestly haven't done much to the car besides drive it.

Not as quickly as I had hoped. Some big home projects took priority most of the winter and into the spring. I honestly haven't done much to the car besides drive it.

At least you are driving it rather than walking past it up on jack stands.

At least you are driving it rather than walking past it up on jack stands.

I try not to do anything that will have it down for a long time.

The next project will be serpentine pulleys, which won't be a direct bolt on. (does anything ever bolt on?) Besides getting the alignment correct, I need to have a trigger wheel on the crank for the EFI. The pulleys are aluminum and the trigger wheel needs to be a ferrous metal. I designed a flange to weld to the pulley and had a new trigger wheel cut to bolt to that flange. Sendcutsend.com did the laser cutting for me. I'll arrange the spacing exactly the same as my current setup, that way I don't have to mess with the sensor bracket. I don't have a TIG welder, nor have I ever welded aluminum. I do have a friend that can help me out with that. I may actually try to weld it myself with his machine once I have some practice on aluminum. I'm probably more excited about these pulleys than I should be. I'm just tired of constantly checking belt tension. Those v-belts just don't seem to like too many 7,000 RPM pulls.

parts.jpg
pulley.jpg

I try not to do anything that will have it down for a long time.

The next project will be serpentine pulleys, which won't be a direct bolt on. (does anything ever bolt on?) Besides getting the alignment correct, I need to have a trigger wheel on the crank for the EFI. The pulleys are aluminum and the trigger wheel needs to be a ferrous metal. I designed a flange to weld to the pulley and had a new trigger wheel cut to bolt to that flange. Sendcutsend.com did the laser cutting for me. I'll arrange the spacing exactly the same as my current setup, that way I don't have to mess with the sensor bracket. I don't have a TIG welder, nor have I ever welded aluminum. I do have a friend that can help me out with that. I may actually try to weld it myself with his machine once I have some practice on aluminum. I'm probably more excited about these pulleys than I should be. I'm just tired of constantly checking belt tension. Those v-belts just don't seem to like too many 7,000 RPM pulls.

View attachment 1715930676 View attachment 1715930677

Very cool!

I've been planning to swap the Magnum serpentine belt system onto my 360. Even added a tone ring to the OEM pulley similar to what you are doing (minus the bolt together part). But I have been putting it off until I put the Magnum EFI on the motor. I did get the Hughes RPM intake bolted on finally, but just with a carb for the summer.

I don't want to have my car down during the summer, so I tried to limit my winter project to just what I can get before the weather warms up. So only a cam swap and intake for this season, EFI will have to wait until next winter. And even then, I didn't even drive the car for the first time until last week.

But that might all go by the way side. Already decided that I am going to do a T56 swap on the car and I think I am going to G3 swap it as well. Time will tell though.

Found a few more pictures from auto-x this past weekend. The last one makes me look like I was going fast!

Damn that's so much fun!

283097304_1494787360937032_8631511728955415395_n.jpg
283104842_1494788537603581_2473474962365188313_n.jpg
283144359_1494788200936948_3744500695845963548_n.jpg
283146220_1494787297603705_7396297999226032957_n.jpg

-
Back