13 Inch Dart GT Rims - Going In Circles

-

my7tb

Reaction score
When I bought my '64 Dart GT (with 273 & 4-speed), it had two types of 13" wheels on it; one standard issue plain wheel (at left in the picture), and three with an open / slot type (at right). Were there two different styles of wheels used on the '64 cars ? Did the GTs or V8 cars have a different wheel on them than the other models ? Which is correct for my car ? I'm assuming the open / slotted type. My car originally had the dogdish caps. Were certain wheels used in combination with them ? Also, both of these wheels pictured have an extra hole (smaller) with the lug pattern. Are the wheels with these extra holes to be used on / aligned with holes on drums (fronts ?) for brake adjusting or something ? What was the purpose for them ?

Attachments

• 13 inch rims.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 200
The extra hole was an alignment hole for when the rims were assembled. The hole for the center section aligned with the valve stem hole in the welding fixture. All rims came out the same.

There may have been more than one manufacturer making the wheels for Mopar. Ask slantsixdan on this site, he might be able to tell you more details.

The extra hole was an alignment hole for when the rims were assembled. The hole for the center section aligned with the valve stem hole in the welding fixture. All rims came out the same.

ummmmmmmm........what? Those two wheels in that pic a blind man could tell they're different. What you said made like zero sense.

Looks like someone changed 1 rim on the car at sometime?Find another with the slots,put dog dishes back on.No adjustment holes for adjusting brakes on rims.(LOL)

The one on the left is the newer model that was made for the 10" drum cars that came out in '65.

What I have heard is that the right wheel were for slant 6 cars and the left wheel were for V8 cars. At least here in Sweden!

I have followed this idea and up til now it's been correct. All V8 cars I have had have had the left wheel for spare and the regular ones.

THis works for at least 1965 A-bodies.

My 1964 V8 Dart with 9in drums came with the big slotted rims.

-
Back