1963 Dart 170 2 Door Post Resto

-
Beautiful photo and commentary documentation above! The car, and it's components, look great. Question for you, since you seem like a detail-man. I'm reassembling a 67 Signet, in Ireland. I'm wondering if you did any cleaning/restoring of the Package Tray? I'm pondering what to do with mine. Any thoughts or insights are appreciated.

Beautiful photo and commentary documentation above! The car, and it's components, look great. Question for you, since you seem like a detail-man. I'm reassembling a 67 Signet, in Ireland. I'm wondering if you did any cleaning/restoring of the Package Tray? I'm pondering what to do with mine. Any thoughts or insights are appreciated.
I cleaned the top completely and even filed off the sharp burrs that were still present from the original spot welds. Underneath I hand sanded as well as I could and epoxy primed, sealed and painted it. Originally it wouldn't have gotten fully sprayed as it was difficult to access (mine had lots of bare metal showing), but I wanted to clean it up better so it wouldn't flash rust again. It's mostly hidden unless you look up from under inside the trunk, but I wanted it as clean as I could get it. It's not perfect my any means, but it does look pretty good overall.

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated. I should have been more specific. I'm wondering about the 'cardboard' package-tray/shelf itself. My original is in pretty good condition and I feel I'd be sacrilege to paint it. I was wondering what folks have used to clean/preserve/restore the outer cardboard material.

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated. I should have been more specific. I'm wondering about the 'cardboard' package-tray/shelf itself. My original is in pretty good condition and I feel I'd be sacrilege to paint it. I was wondering what folks have used to clean/preserve/restore the outer cardboard material.
I bought new. I think a mild cleaner on a rag would be best to clean it. Nothing too harsh as it would possibly damage the coating. I would test it on a less conspicuous area first to confirm it doesn't damage anything.

It also wouldn't hurt to start a thread asking this question as I'm sure there's lot on here with much more knowledge than me on how to clean this without damaging it.

Thanks for the good input. Yeah it might be a good question for a new thread. I might look at it again and then reach out if it's still illusive. Thanks again for the message.

-
Back