1963 Dart 170 2 Door Post Resto

-
Here is the kit I purchased to polish it. Not cheap, but quality never is

Polish kit.jpg

That's looking real nice. Paint isn't hard if you think logically. Prep is vital and is where so many let themselves down. Of course application is important, but what you do with it after is the real difference between just getting something painted and doing a nice paint job! Will be great to see some shots outside when you're done!

Thank god you bought the DA buffer/kit

You won’t burn through. I was crying for your arm muscles before I saw that you bought the buffer.

I’ve had better luck with Griots compounds...

Excellent work!

Making progress. Slow, but progress. Hood looks a lot better. Still needs a lot of work. Got most of the bumps and debris sanded out. Still needs more work though. Still have some sanding marks that never buffed out. Will have a good at them again. May need to wet sand again to get them out. Might have picked up something when wet sanding. Happy so far though

20230101_175716_HDR.jpg

A little better. Still needs more work. Coming along a lot slower than the trunk lid did, but getting there

Still love how it looks so different from different angles and in different lights. Had it outside the other day as it was finally bright (unfortunately not sunny) and it looks great in that light. Can't wait to get it all finished.

Hood midway.jpg

That damn base coat clear coat is a LOT of work to get right. S'why I like single stage. As long as you know how to spray it, when you're done, there it is.

That damn base coat clear coat is a LOT of work to get right. S'why I like single stage. As long as you know how to spray it, when you're done, there it is.
It actually went on pretty good, especially since this is the first car I've painted. The only issue was I don't have a proper paint booth and no ventilation (for painting) so a lot of specs of dust and crap settled into the clear.

I agree, single stage is easier to use, but I actually didn't mind the base clear. Ironically, most people told me the clear was harder to apply. I actually had more issues with the base. I thought the clear went really smooth. Only got 2 runs on the entire car. One on a headlight ring, and one small one on one wheel arch (hopefully can get it better)

It actually went on pretty good, especially since this is the first car I've painted. The only issue was I don't have a proper paint booth and no ventilation (for painting) so a lot of specs of dust and crap settled into the clear.

I agree, single stage is easier to use, but I actually didn't mind the base clear. Ironically, most people told me the clear was harder to apply. I actually had more issues with the base. I thought the clear went really smooth. Only got 2 runs on the entire car. One on a headlight ring, and one small one on one wheel arch (hopefully can get it better)
I think it's beautiful and you did a great job. I'm just a lazy ****. lol

I think it's beautiful and you did a great job. I'm just a lazy ****. lol
LOL. My next 2 projects are not going metallic so they will probably be single stage. I went base clear this time as if I screwed up the metallic on the base it would be easier to respray as it takes less material. Still got some tiger striping but overall a nice finish.

Plan to do my wife's 49 international next. I think she wants a nice brown or taupe color. Still a long ways off before she finally settles on a color. My 51 international will likely go either the original arizona blue, keep its patina, or go a nice tan or cement grey. Again, haven't fully decided.

It's funny, I had my mind set on a different green color from the day I bought this little dart. Never flip flopped at all, and I must say, I am happy with my decision

Yeah, I'm more in the camp of shoot it, get a good gloss on it, pull the tape and sit back and enjoy :thumbsup:
If it wasn't for the debris that settled in it I would have too. I almost said the heck with it but my OCD took over and away we went.... :rofl:

LOL. My next 2 projects are not going metallic so they will probably be single stage. I went base clear this time as if I screwed up the metallic on the base it would be easier to respray as it takes less material. Still got some tiger striping but overall a nice finish.

Plan to do my wife's 49 international next. I think she wants a nice brown or taupe color. Still a long ways off before she finally settles on a color. My 51 international will likely go either the original arizona blue, keep its patina, or go a nice tan or cement grey. Again, haven't fully decided.

It's funny, I had my mind set on a different green color from the day I bought this little dart. Never flip flopped at all, and I must say, I am happy with my decision
Brown.....yuck. What a boring color. Whenever I see a brown car, I think "doodoo". lol

Brown.....yuck. What a boring color. Whenever I see a brown car, I think "doodoo". lol
But Your always up to Your neck in doodoo, think of that "at home feeling" You'll have every time You get in, lol..

A little better. Still needs more work. Coming along a lot slower than the trunk lid did, but getting there

Still love how it looks so different from different angles and in different lights. Had it outside the other day as it was finally bright (unfortunately not sunny) and it looks great in that light. Can't wait to get it all finished.

View attachment 1716030325
She's lookin' sweet, We can't wait either!!

Tops of fenders and most of the cowl basically done. Still thinking I might have to go over some spots with the 2-3000 grit and compound again as I can see faint scratches in a couple spots. Think I was a little over cautious when wet sanding and never got all the 1000 grit scratches out. Hard to see so should be easy to get out.

Got the roof started. Was more orange peel on the roof than I thought. Got one side done with the 1000 grit and got all the orange peel out. Making decent progress... Slow but forward progress is progress right?

20230105_164217_HDR.jpg

20230105_164224_HDR.jpg

20230105_164232_HDR.jpg

20230105_150204_HDR.jpg

20230105_164108_HDR.jpg

:)Tops of fenders and most of the cowl basically done. Still thinking I might have to go over some spots with the 2-3000 grit and compound again as I can see faint scratches in a couple spots. Think I was a little over cautious when wet sanding and never got all the 1000 grit scratches out. Hard to see so should be easy to get out.

Got the roof started. Was more orange peel on the roof than I thought. Got one side done with the 1000 grit and got all the orange peel out. Making decent progress... Slow but forward progress is progress right?

View attachment 1716031194

View attachment 1716031195

View attachment 1716031196

View attachment 1716031197

View attachment 1716031198
You're driving me crazy with your patience! Lol. :). Beautiful work!

yep, agreed. i'm an 800 wet then straight on to farecla g3 and my mop kinda guy, lol. bit more mopping to do but i'd rather spend more time with the mop than i would wet sanding.
neil.
Well, I certainly didn't stop at 800 grit...lol. I started at 1000, then 2000, then today 2500 (because I had it), then 3000 grit and finally onto 5000. Got all of the orange peel out and all of the little defects. Already showing a shine before I even use the compound. Should shine up really nice

20230106_173429.jpg

20230106_173435_HDR.jpg

20230106_173457_HDR.jpg

20230106_173821_HDR.jpg

20230106_173844.jpg

So, after many hours of compounding with the buffer (thank god I bought one...lol) and many hours of wet sanding again I think I finally have it where I'm pretty happy with it. I discovered that the cheaper amazon wet sandpaper is crap. Fine for not so detailed work, but not so much for final. Some of it seemed ok quality but it seemed coarser than the 3M paper. I was having issues getting the sanding scratches out of the hood and roof, so I decided to pay up for the 3M paper. While not much different it really seemed to make it go smoother. I also discovered (remember, this is my first paint job and first time wet sanding) that I was stopping the buffer too early and wiping it off. I decided to let the buffer run a little longer once the compound was applied and it seemed to help take the scratches out much faster. I was nervous about the buffer pad getting too dry and heating and burning through the clear.

Either way, this is how we learn right? Took some time (and a lot of compound), but I'm pretty happy with it right now. I may go over it one more time just to fully dial it in, but I think by the end of the weekend I should be on to polish.

The reflection is great. I do see more tiger striping now that the finish is mirror like but not bad. The pictures actually make it look a lot worse than it is. It's there, but the LED lights and camera seem to highlight it. Again, first paint job. I learned a lot, and would do it again. I think next time will be even better.

I love the last two pictures. It really shows how the different angles and lighting really changes the color. I took them standing on my scaffold bench.

Compound complete 1.jpg

Compound complete 2.jpg

Compound complete 3.jpg

Compound complete 4.jpg

Compound complete 5.jpg

High Angle pic.jpg

High Angle pic2.jpg

So, I did a bunch more little stuff with the car over the past few days. Did a little more wet sanding and compound work on some spots I wasn't happy with. Discovered on the front passenger fender when taking care of a run in the clear how thick the clear was :mad:. Actually blew though the clear and base into the primer. Real tiny spot but it happened. I was able to touch it up ok and blend it in so that even though I know where it is it's difficult to find. Thank god. Wasn't looking forward to the possibility of repainting the fender and trying to be sure it matched. Got rid of the run though...lol

Sat in the trunk today and wet sanded using 3000 grit 3M paper (sponge??) to get rid of the light overspray that somehow managed to get inside the car while I was applying the base coat. went over it after with the meguiar's ultimate compound to bring back the shine. Worked out pretty well overall. Still have work to do in the cabin. Did the rims as well today.

Then I decided to see if I could get the car to spin over. It's been apart for 3 years so I was curious. Hooked up the battery cables (temporarily as I need to clean them up or replace them) and put the battery in. Turned on the key and the oil light came on...good sign. Turned the key and it spun over. Only let it spin a couple revolutions as I still need to top up the transmission (don't want to run the transmission when it's low). Actually have to replace the crappy base pan gasket as its leaking at the front edge. Also have to put gas in it (just finished installing fill tube and vent as well.)

Then I got brave and decided to try the electronics. Turned on the headlights and nothing. Tried a few times and finally one came on. What?? They are both new. Pulled out the dead one to find I was a bone head. I test fit it previously and never plugged it in as I was going to remove it but never did. Hooked up the ground and plugged it in and voila, we have light. Tried the high beams only to find the dimmer is pooched (remember, this was a kinda basket case car when I got it, in various stages of disassembly). Ordered a new one, should be in tomorrow. No tail lights. Discovered at some point I blew a fuse. Swapped it out and those new tail lights look awesome. Brake lights and signals work too. Still have to install the front park lenses after polish. Wiper motor works as it should (good ole one speed...lol) and heater works. I do have a minor fan motor squeal when it is switched to defrost and on high speed. No noise at any other time. Gotta look into that one. Have a spare motor if I need one. Don't want to have to pull the heater box back out if I don't have to though.

One issue I did run into is no dash lights. As I recall, they weren't working when I got the car. I was hoping it was a dirty connection at the dash cluster. Doesn't look like it. I am now suspecting the circuit board on the back of the cluster. I have a spare, but don't know the condition. Will have to pull my meter and confirm I'm getting power and go from there. I have good ground as I have signals and high beam indication and the oil pressure lights. I don't think it's the switch as the light in the shift selector is working fine. Time will tell I guess. Also one of my horns is only working intermittently. It was missing one when I got it and I found a used one and cleaned it up. I guess it needs the internal contacts cleaned a little better to get it working. I think I have other spares. I will have to check.

Trunk wet sanded and polished.jpg

-
Back