1963 Dart, SL6 Electronic Distributor

-

TRoydart954

TRoyDart954
Reaction score
I just bought my son a 63 dart with a 170 SL6. We want to change from points to electronic distributor. Any suggestions. I found a Mallory Distributor at Summitt but, we are trying to get it to run before we break the bank.

What amperage alternator should we be running, as well?

there are a couple of routes to go...

1st
The Petronix Ignitor II conversion... bolts in, two wire hook-up, the II is better as you can by-pass the the ballast and install a better coil...

2nd
install a later (73+ Electronic dizzy) in and wire in a mopar Electronic system...

3rd
install the same later (73+ Electonic dizzy) in and then hook it up to an MSD box...

I have a stock mopar slanty distributor and a harness to make the conversion if you are interested

Parts house 1973 Electronic dist.
Ballast resistor
Mopar wire harness...P4007968
ECU

To make it simple go to the parts house,and tell them your working on a 73 slant six Dart, and you need the distributor,ECU,and ballast resistor. Google the harness part number I gave you,and buy it where ever it is cheapest.Heck,grab
Waggins.
Once you get the parts, come back for install directions. Many guys on the site can help you with a diagram.. Very,very easy to wire.

There is a new Pertronix Ignitor III that adds MSD. Might be worth the $140 instead of $110 of the Ignitor II.

I wouldn't fool with the old Mopar ECU. They are expensive, unreliable, and need a unique connector. You also must still use a ballast and weaker coil.

In my 64 slant, I got a new Mopar electronic distributor for $40 on ebay. It was missing the pickup ($7) and I had to swap the vacuum plate from my points one. I wired it to a GM 8-pin HEI module mounted on a heat sink (from old PC CPU). A factory cable connects to a GM "external coil" (E-core type). Cost ~$20 at junkyard. Many others have done similar using the common GM 4-pin module. The 8-pin module has a connector that allows computer control of spark timing if you later add an EFI computer like the Holley Commander 950 (my plan). Even without that, having the cable to the coil is nice plug-n-play.

Chrysler's electronic ignition is one of the best ignitions ever designed.

Pertronix is a step above points,and not a real ignition.

GM HEI ? GM,enough said.

There is a new Pertronix Ignitor III that adds MSD. Might be worth the $140 instead of $110 of the Ignitor II.

I wouldn't fool with the old Mopar ECU. They are expensive, unreliable, and need a unique connector. You also must still use a ballast and weaker coil.

expensive and unreliable? I have been driving mopars for quite awhile now and never had an ignition faliure, as far as expensive goes I bought my ECU from napa 4 years ago and 30,000 miles for a really high price of $29!!

HEI is the best way to go. Hottest spark, better performance, better fuel economy. Plus you can just go to any parts store and pick up a module when you need one.

-
Back