1964 Dart Grüne Hölle Road Course/Track Day/AutoX Project

-
7/1/22 Continued:

The Car developed a bearing Noise in the Axle during the Trip... the Right Rear was all hoopajooped.. Got new parts on the way.
52186180257_57b1eeb54c_c.jpg

Upgraded the Alternator Charging Wire to 8Ga and Bypassed the Factory Firewall Bulkhead connection and Ammeter.
52186180337_9b0c946956_c.jpg

52187211238_09b80ab089_c.jpg

52187451919_03640c9a86_c.jpg

Also Added a SPAL 16" Fan and Removed the OE 4 Blade Mechanical Fan - Hoping that on a Hot summer day when the car is idling and not moving in traffic that it will not get too hot and bothered.
52187211308_e91a6421c4_c.jpg

52187211228_14ed35a8ac_c.jpg

Will be back on the Road Soon for More adventures this summer - Carlisle, PVGP, and maybe a TNiA or a Local autoX
(I really need to get the fuel spill out of the filler cap solved before the Track or Cone events.) - it's on the to-to list.

Very cool. I love the copilot. Looks like she had a great time.

Thanks for the story and pictures. How many gallons of gas did you use and what was the total cost?

Just caught up on your thread. Thanks for the great stories; you've made memories that will last a lifetime.

Just caught up on your thread. Thanks for the great stories; you've made memories that will last a lifetime.

Thanks for the kind words. And Thanks for reading the documentation. This car is super fun and it does it all (except hot idling in stopped traffic & having A/C) well.
Whilst pulling the trailer.... it's a truck and parts hauler. Might even get a small/ light popup camper for it some day.

Cheers!

Thanks John.. I was too busy or I would have stopped by to say hi during the trip.

I have no Idea. If I kept track of it I would probably be sad.
Certainly, if I was in the Irwin PA area the two things on my list would be:
1) pancakes at the Lamplighter Restaurant over in Delmont.
2) checking out the projects in Greg’s garage.

Last edited:
Certainly, if I was in the Irwin PA area the two thinks on my list would be:
1) pancakes at the Lamplighter Restaurant over in Delmont.
2) checking out the projects in Greg’s garage.
The lamplighter has a thursday nite Car Curise.. was there 2 days ago.

Good plan.

Greg

7/4/22:

Happy Birthday USA.

I got the Axle Bearing in the mail yesterday - I got it Pressed on and Lubed up, I Decided it replace the Outer Axle Seal as it had a Funny Wear Pattern on the Seal.... and The bearing Had to come off to replace the seal anyway.

I got the Axle slammed back home and Filled with 2 Quarts of Axle Juice.
52194334040_f6fbdea7ce_c.jpg

Got a Proper Filtered Vent for the Axle Juice installed - Hopefully it will keep the axle a bit cleaner under there.
52194333920_25f2e1e68c_c.jpg

52193843961_e97bc4eaae_c.jpg

I got to Replace My Old Autometer Analog Oil Gauge With An AEM one -

Before:
51914818166_7d35a44367_c.jpg

After:
52193860293_fe5b269bae_c.jpg

52193843846_e784cc2b7e_c.jpg

52192835192_af661f7d91_c.jpg

I still have other Stuff on my List of make the car suck less, but trips and other events and projects are beginning to eat away into my " work on this car time"
None of it is critical, just elective cases... I get to it sometime..
- Install New Steering Box
- Install New / Better Motor mounts
- Replace one of the headlight Frames that is cracked.
- Upgrade the Gauge Pod Below the dash to a 3 Holer.. and Add an AEM Voltmeter.
- I am sure there are other things too, Just can't think of them now

nice thread. liked all the progress and most of all the road trip pics. any more pics of the "Vart"? im wanting to do something like that (65 valiant convertible with a 63 dart front end.

nice thread. liked all the progress and most of all the road trip pics. any more pics of the "Vart"? im wanting to do something like that (65 valiant convertible with a 63 dart front end.
Thank you.

Glad you enjoyed the documentation.
I can see if I have more pictures of the copper car.. It's my buddy's Lou from VA. He calls it Project V.. but yes its a 65? Ish valiant with a '63/4 dart fenders/ hood and a '65 Dart Front valence.

Check this album in the meantime..
BRR SCCA 9-26-20-Back of the Dragon; Marion to Tazewell

My Green '64 will be at carlisle 2022 in a week.. not sure where you are located, but it seems a good number of folks on here end up at carlisle... so you can stop and see the car if you like.

Greg

Thank you.

Glad you enjoyed the documentation.
I can see if I have more pictures of the copper car.. It's my buddy's Lou from VA. He calls it Project V.. but yes its a 65? Ish valiant with a '63/4 dart fenders/ hood and a '65 Dart Front valence.

Check this album in the meantime..
BRR SCCA 9-26-20-Back of the Dragon; Marion to Tazewell

My Green '64 will be at carlisle 2022 in a week.. not sure where you are located, but it seems a good number of folks on here end up at carlisle... so you can stop and see the car if you like.

Greg
thanks, Greg. im not close, so I wont be able to make Carlisle, but enjoy! Im sure youll have blast. i checked out your link above. Thanks, enjoyed more of the road pics.

thanks, Greg. im not close, so I wont be able to make Carlisle, but enjoy! Im sure youll have blast. i checked out your link above. Thanks, enjoyed more of the road pics.
Did you get to the second page in the album? It has pictures of the copper car you asked about.

Greg, I've looked.....and I admit I am half blind, but did you give a part number for the transmission mount?

I really dig your car, can’t wait till I have mine on the road to try out some of these roads you write about.

I really dig your car, can’t wait till I have mine on the road to try out some of these roads you write about.
Thanks Buddy!

Here is a more complete list:
Sorry it's a bit haphazard... but I keep adding to it when I find new places.

1. U.S. Route 30 from Irwin to chambersburg in PA is a nice not crowed route with many mountain ridges to cross.
2. PA route 233 from pine Grove state park to Mont Alto.. great route probably any time of year. A bit of corners... tree covered and shady in the hot summer.. one nice mountain ascent / descent just before mont alto.
3. VA route 311 from I 64 in wva. Just near the state line to I 81 in va near Ronake.. Awesome mountain drive with lots of scenery and nice out of the way towns such as crows and paint bank.… Crosses over at least 2 possibly mountain ridges.. unassuming route with lots of space to open up the car and test the corners too. Lots of space for hill climb runs.

4. PA Route 31 from Mount Pleasant / I 70 to the end of the route near Manns Choice PA.
Great turnpike alternative over the mountains but not as windy as US 30.

5. PA Route 144.. probably the whole route but specifically from Bellefonte PA to Centere Hall PA.

6. PA Route 445 from Madisonburg PA to Nittany PA. Great little mountain climb with a few 10
mph corners.

7. PA Route 26 from Pine Grove Furnace Pa to Stone Creek valley Fire Department.... then hop
onto PA Route 305 west over the next ridge.. lots of fun mountain runs there throughout the
Rothrock state forest... a few climbs and turns .... good stuff.

8. PA Route 641 from Shade Gap PA to Roxbury PA...If you stay on route 641 you will eventually
pass through carlisle too.... on the flat boring part.

The Route Goes over 2 mountain ridges where the pa turnpike has 3 tunnels nearby drilled
through the mountains.
1000' elevation change and somewhat little traffic at times. Superb PA mountain/ country back roads!

9. PA Route 74 from it's Terminus @ PA 75 south of Old Port PA to Carlisle.
- Haven't Run the whole thing yet. But it's another over the ridge road!

10. PA Route 271 from it s terminus near Route 711 in Ligoner to Johnstown PA.
1700+ feet elevation change in a smooth long climb. Some turns also.

11. VA Route 16 "Back of the Dragon" from Marion Va to Tazewell Va.

12. WV Route 20 - From Princeton WV to Quiet Dell WV (Just off I 79)

13. PA Route 910… It's only 20 Miles from the Allegheny River / Harmar to I-79 near Wexford.
There are some Sweet Turns, Banks and Mountain Elevations that the Turnpike / I-76 Just cuts
out or avoids. I think this road Crossed above or Below I 76 a total of 6 Times.

14. US Route 33 from Harrisonburg VA to Elkins WV (and Probably into Ohio as well) I have not
driven it that far….Lots of scenic valleys and mountain twisties!
Skookum as Frig!

15. The PVGP/ Western PA Triumph / MG Club invited me to a driving tour in November in the
Ohio River valley from say Martin's Ferry Ohio To Marietta.

There are delightful routes towards the West from anywhere in the Valley... Particualry u
towards hocking hills.

Ohio Routes:
Ohio Route 148 From Powhatan Point West.
Ohio Route 556 East From Bealsville to Clarington
Ohio Route 536 To or From Hanibal - This may be one off the best in this list!
Ohio Route 255 West From Sardis
Ohio Route 26 South? From any Point to Marietta.

16. Found another Gem yesterday while Towing - Its Not super fun in the winter while towing a Car but it is in a sport car..
PA Route 164.. From Munster to Pa Route 26.

Over 1000' Feet of Elevation Change 2x - Some Narrow Twisties etc. Good Alternative to US
22 or I 99

17. US 52 From Wadesboro to US 460 / Bluefield WV.

18. PA state route 26..
From Everett PA to the Maryland state Line.
1100' up to ~1600' then back to 800' with some tight twisties, beautiful clear ridge views, open long straights as well as sparse to no traffic.

19. US 219 From The Mason-Dixon Line to Davis/Thomas WV.
It is probably a good route all the way to US 460 in Rich Creek, VA, but I have not driven it the
entire way (yet).

Last edited:
I
Greg, I've looked.....and I admit I am half blind, but did you give a part number for the transmission mount?
Don't think I did.

It **should be** a stock t5 / aod mount for a ford mustang.... maybe 84-96? I have yet to do research to confirm the part#.

I

Don't think I did.

It **should be** a stock t5 / aod mount for a ford mustang.... maybe 84-96? I have yet to do research to confirm the part#.
Application was good enough. Thank you. 2388 is the part number.

-
Back