1964 Dart Grüne Hölle Road Course/Track Day/AutoX Project

-
Thanks. I was planning on running the rear brakes through the adjustable prortioning valve and straight to the rear brake line like you did. For the fronts I was just going to run a line into the factory block on the frame rail and plug the old rear port. That way I don't need to make up new front lines. Sound reasonable?

View attachment 1715972952

Yes.. I did the same except I ran one new line to the LF, deleted the T, and the unioned into the existing Rear and RF line from the new Factory style Prop valve.

Your proposed method is probably more efficient and less hassle than what I did.

I have a fresh 300 5 feet away from the car in the shop. It was my intention to swap it in. I wouldn't do it now for a mollion dollars.

I am not trying to change anyone's opinion or thought process on what they want to do on their projects.

I have a blast with this car when it works and I am glad you may use a slant 6 in your project.

What is a 300? I am not familiar with that.. maybe a bored/ stroked Gen1 hemi? Or an inline ford 6 cylinder.

Have fun!

I am not trying to change anyone's opinion or thought process on what they want to do on their projects.

I have a blast with this car when it works and I am glad you may use a slant 6 in your project.

What is a 300? I am not familiar with that.. maybe a bored/ stroked Gen1 hemi? Or an inline ford 6 cylinder.

Have fun!

Ha! I didn't realize I typed 300. Kitty and I are both REAL sick with the covid. That's why I haven't been on much. IT shouldda been 400. As in 400 Chrysler big block. And you know, I have to be honest, since I've been driving the car a long time now, there's no way I'd ever do that swap now. The slant 6 is just that much fun.

8/21/22:

I got the vent sorted out. Added a Vent nipple on the Filler neck below the valve, and Teed it into the existing Vent tubing.

I have yet to close the valve and drive a bunch, or throw it into severe RH turns, to test the idea of the valve preventing gasoline draining out of the cap and onto the quarter panel. Maybe next week.

52302738840_7d351d6fc4_c.jpg

52302239286_141150c778_c.jpg

Well that should work well .

Now to solve the pain in filling with the emission nozzles,besides holding the nozzle upside down .

I should have moved the filler tube up like the ‘67 up A bodies before I painted the Dart .

I’m tempted to cut the trunk floor and drop in a Mustang tank and fill in the trunk.

9/5/22:

Happy Labor Day!

I was busy Futzing with Stuff today. - No events to go to around here, as there is a stalled weather front dropping steady rain on us for the last day or so.

I adjusted the valves a few thou tighter a few weeks ago and in doing so the torque curve / power band moved up - It made the engine have a really smooth idle, but it was like having a Drag race engine as the seat of the pants power feel was moved up above 4000 RPM.

I Redid the valve Adjustment and went back looser - This Time Settled in at 0.024" for the intake and 0.028" for the exhaust. I like a the torque band a bit lower to get the car moving, not slipping the clutch as much, and it's useful when street driving with a trailer or something of the like.

I also Finally got to use the 4 corner scales that I bought back in April... I hauled them to CMP but never got around to weighing anything, as I was busy with lots of various stuff here and there. I had the flat / open / level space available in the garage were I like to do alignments and scaling open so I set it up.
52336707563_55ee48ceda_c.jpg

I had added or swapped a bunch of stuff since I last scaled the car, in July 2021 - on possibly a not level surface too :? .
Total Weight Last Year in Race ready Configuration without Driver or Driver Gear was 3028# - that was also with the Enkei's mounted which are about 8# lighter per corner than the Mustang Wheels Enkei's 16.X# vs Mustang wheels 24.X#
51306564090_a4f3bfb545_c.jpg

- Swapped the OE Hood for a 10# Fiberglass one
- Swapped the OE Seats for the Sparco's
- Added Proper Racing Harnesses on the Front Seats
- Added a Harness Bar an d Fire Extinguisher
- Added a Trailer Hitch
- Swapped the Mechanical Fan for an electric one.
- Added the Fuel Filler Valve.
- Added the S10 Lower Airdam

I weighed it today with all of that added or swapped stuff as well as the Mustang Wheels ~+32#
2964# Total with 1/4 Tank of gas and the Heavier Mustang Wheels.
52336771014_b3e55b4674_c.jpg

53.5% Front 46.5% Rear
52336897875_67a7a1b723_c.jpg

Left 49.5% Right 50.5%
52336770884_bfe4a6a64c_c.jpg

52336897845_cd03d43ca4_c.jpg

52336898010_fdbf030143_c.jpg

Hope to get some driving and autox in soon.

When it comes to adjusting valves, some OEMs spec clearance with a cold engine, while most spec with a hot engine. When the engine warms up, clearance increases. In my opinion, specs for a hot engine are more relevant to how the engine works in the real world. Your values suggest a hot engine, but boy are they loose!

When it comes to adjusting valves, some OEMs spec clearance with a cold engine, while most spec with a hot engine. When the engine warms up, clearance increases. In my opinion, specs for a hot engine are more relevant to how the engine works in the real world. Your values suggest a hot engine, but boy are they loose!

Yes it's hot.
Yes they are loose.
The big cam wants loose lash.

9/5/22:

Happy Labor Day!

I was busy Futzing with Stuff today. - No events to go to around here, as there is a stalled weather front dropping steady rain on us for the last day or so.

I adjusted the valves a few thou tighter a few weeks ago and in doing so the torque curve / power band moved up - It made the engine have a really smooth idle, but it was like having a Drag race engine as the seat of the pants power feel was moved up above 4000 RPM.

I Redid the valve Adjustment and went back looser - This Time Settled in at 0.024" for the intake and 0.028" for the exhaust. I like a the torque band a bit lower to get the car moving, not slipping the clutch as much, and it's useful when street driving with a trailer or something of the like.

I also Finally got to use the 4 corner scales that I bought back in April... I hauled them to CMP but never got around to weighing anything, as I was busy with lots of various stuff here and there. I had the flat / open / level space available in the garage were I like to do alignments and scaling open so I set it up.
View attachment 1715981265

I had added or swapped a bunch of stuff since I last scaled the car, in July 2021 - on possibly a not level surface too :? .
Total Weight Last Year in Race ready Configuration without Driver or Driver Gear was 3028# - that was also with the Enkei's mounted which are about 8# lighter per corner than the Mustang Wheels Enkei's 16.X# vs Mustang wheels 24.X#
View attachment 1715981266
- Swapped the OE Hood for a 10# Fiberglass one
- Swapped the OE Seats for the Sparco's
- Added Proper Racing Harnesses on the Front Seats
- Added a Harness Bar an d Fire Extinguisher
- Added a Trailer Hitch
- Swapped the Mechanical Fan for an electric one.
- Added the Fuel Filler Valve.
- Added the S10 Lower Airdam

I weighed it today with all of that added or swapped stuff as well as the Mustang Wheels ~+32#
2964# Total with 1/4 Tank of gas and the Heavier Mustang Wheels.
View attachment 1715981267
53.5% Front 46.5% Rear
View attachment 1715981268
Left 49.5% Right 50.5%
View attachment 1715981269
View attachment 1715981270
View attachment 1715981271

Hope to get some driving and autox in soon.
Remember, CAMT has a 3000 lb minimum without the driver.
The 68 Barracuda got selected for a weight check at the CAM Challenge that I participated in. Came in at 3083 lb, don’t know what would happen if a car came in light.

Remember, CAMT has a 3000 lb minimum without the driver.
The 68 Barracuda got selected for a weight check at the CAM Challenge that I participated in. Came in at 3083 lb, don’t know what would happen if a car came in light.

Good Point John,

Thanks for reminding me.

Nothing a bit more fuel load cant fix.. This time around the car had 1/4 tank or less of fuel.
I also have some ballast that I could bolt in the trunk if needed

10/12/22:

Boom

I was getting ready to take the car out a show and drive in a few weeks, as I have not driven it in maybe a month.. Checked all the fluids... All good. - Adjusted the curb idle on the Carb, reset the toe, and got the steering wheel back close to straight / center with the new steering box that was installed earlier this summer.

There is a road 4-5 miles from the garage that has ~300 foot elevation gain with twisties that I like to just wring out the car on.

I get to the top of of the hill and through some twisties and boom, no power - sounds like a piston is banging into the head and there was 10PSI oil pressure.. all without warning...

I shut the car off and drifted it to a clearing alongside the road... well crap, I left my phone at the garage for this joy ride. Fortunately, as I put my Hitchhiking thumb out, the first guy driving past stopped to help. I told him to just ride me to the bottom of the hill on the outside of town, but he took me to the garage.. He was working on a '65 Ford comet. Nice of him to give me a lift.

I got the car winched up on the trailer in an hour or so and rolled it off at the garage.
This toy is broke for now, so time to pull the engine and see what happened - will do an autopsy report later.
AutoX and Fall Driving will hafta wait until the spring.
Hope to have some fuel injection installed with the next generation of the engine.

Oh no! Well, like I always say, they're never finished. This just gives you more to do. lol Hoping the damage is minimal.

Greg, any updates on what happened to the engine?

Greg, any updates on what happened to the engine?
No Not yet. I probably will have this pulled in the next month or so.
Pooling Funds to get a Proper Shotblock Built and machined. The Shortblock that I ruined was loaned to me from a friend. :-( I have to get that sorted out.

1/1/23:

Happy New Year.

Last year was full of ups and Downs for Grüne Hölle;
April - July:
The good: Lots of Driving and Towing, a Track Day at CMP, A trip To Missouri and Back in 4 days with Daughter and trailer, and A trip to Carlisle.

Mid July - October:
The Bad:
I had the Fingers on the Pressure Plate Break, making the car undriveable... got that sorted out and fixed, then the engine went south. Hopefully this will be a better year!

Starting off with selecting a Block to build:
Here is the Core Block, Greasy, Nasty, Full 'o Sludge, Fresh from my collection of things slant 6 - It had already been broken down in the attic, and I Boxed up the cam and sent it of to Oregon Cam Grinding To get a replica of the cam that is in the car now.
52599373133_853f78c1b8_c.jpg

52599279005_bafc7800bd_c.jpg

52599373053_240d434357_c.jpg

Cleaned and Ready for some prep work.
Let the degreasing, cam bearing removal, drilling, tapping, and grinding begin:
52598361022_9716ac38f5_c.jpg

52598361017_d59cc60359_c.jpg

'Till Next time!

1/1/23:

Happy New Year.

Last year was full of ups and Downs for Grüne Hölle;
April - July:
The good: Lots of Driving and Towing, a Track Day at CMP, A trip To Missouri and Back in 4 days with Daughter and trailer, and A trip to Carlisle.

Mid July - October:
The Bad:
I had the Fingers on the Pressure Plate Break, making the car undriveable... got that sorted out and fixed, then the engine went south. Hopefully this will be a better year!

Starting off with selecting a Block to build:
Here is the Core Block, Greasy, Nasty, Full 'o Sludge, Fresh from my collection of things slant 6 - It had already been broken down in the attic, and I Boxed up the cam and sent it of to Oregon Cam Grinding To get a replica of the cam that is in the car now.
View attachment 1716029294

View attachment 1716029295

View attachment 1716029296

Cleaned and Ready for some prep work.
Let the degreasing, cam bearing removal, drilling, tapping, and grinding begin:
View attachment 1716029297

View attachment 1716029298

'Till Next time!
Heck yeah! You go boy! It's nice to have some extras to choose from. I have only one extra 225 besides the one in Vixen and probably SIX 170s. LOL

I’m still new to Mopars, but really enjoyed reading thru your thread.

I was going to ask if you had thoughts on going to fuel injection, but it seems like that’s a yes after reading the rest today.

Hope you get the engine back together soon!

I’m still new to Mopars, but really enjoyed reading thru your thread.

I was going to ask if you had thoughts on going to fuel injection, but it seems like that’s a yes after reading the rest today.

Hope you get the engine back together soon!
Thanks, Glad you enjoyed it, Yes the next build should be injected. starting off TBI, then going to ITB's - Port injection as time and $ allow.

Just saying, you may find something that you want to have different in this engine being built, either at the component level or in the build process.
Yes it's surely possible It will Find out when I pull it apart.

-
Back