1965 273 Charger Carter Carb

-
Agree. Looks like its the choke 'qualifier'.
The shop book with have the settings, but the operation works like this:
First choke setting is the position cold, before starting. The flap is almost closed.
As soon at the engine fires up and turns over at running rpm, manifold vacuum pulls that diaphram and opens the choke slightly. That's the running choked position.
Cool thanks, I'll refer to my manual. This car is going to be a lot of fun getting going. Can't wait to here it fire up!

Try to rebuild it. I found a used 600 Edelbrock for $100 at a swap meet to get me running. My original carb was not good. The 600 is still in there. Starts every time, runs great and gets damn near 20 mpg. Electric choke is a plus. Just sayin.
Mike, I bought a rebuild kit for the Carter, but the throttle shaft is so sloppy I'm not very confident in it. I also have an extra Eddie 1407 but maybe you mentioned having to modify the stock 4bbl intake. What needs to be done in that regard? Thanks

Mike, I bought a rebuild kit for the Carter, but the throttle shaft is so sloppy I'm not very confident in it. I also have an extra Eddie 1407 but maybe you mentioned having to modify the stock 4bbl intake. What needs to be done in that regard? Thanks
You'll have to try the Edelbrock on your intake. The secondary butterflies may not open because the holes in the intake aren't large enough.

Did you use a newer intake or enlarge the original?
I enlarged the original. I was lucky to have the machinist that did my heads do it. @lkopaska just put Edelbrock on his oem intake with no issues. Give it a try.

-
Back