1965 Dart Gt 904 Trans Shift Cable Help.

-

Musclecar

Reaction score
I have a 65 Dart GT with the factory floor shifter. It originally has the two cable set up, with one cable for park. I am installing a newer 904 without the park cable. I want to use the original floor shifter, but the cable throw is much shorter than the newer 904, that has the typical shift linkage with the kickdown on top. Can anyone point me in the right direction to set up the old cable with the newer 904 linkage? I can fabricate most anything, but the shorter cable throw is going to be a nightmare as I see it now.

Thanks, MC

THIS is going to be a horror show to do by yourself ... I would contact Imperial Services in Michigan .. but their "kit" is pricey.

Since your going with a later style 904-- why not use an after-market shifter & fabricate your shifter-handle & console?
I believe there is a similar style shifter-- (Indy) comes to mind that resembles the 65 set-up. Good luck & show some progress pictures, Lawrence

I have been working on a solution that I think will work. I am posting some pics before, and after. The first pic is of the factory floor shifter, so nice I have to use it. See the pics. The second is of the linkage on the tranny, like so many of you know well. The third pic is of the tranny end of the cable for the 65. The last pic is of the modified end to fit the tranny. I still need to figure out the shorter throw of the cable. I think I can get away with drilling a hole in the linkage closer to the tranny.

Attachments

• shifter1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,362
  • shifter2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,348
  • shifter4.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,277
  • shifter5.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,239
it wont work.....buy a shift cable from b@m they have many styles and leights.u dont have enought thow in that cable spent a mounth on mine .....hope this help out,....bonehead

Doc, you are absolutely right. Nightmare comes to my mind. I figured out the throw problem, but am not sure I can make it work. I will work on it a bit more, like a challenge that I have to figure out.

Vdart, I may go with an aftermarket shifter. I can sell all the original pieces on Ebay. I just wanted to keep the stock shifter.

Bonehead, your advice got me off easy! Thanks all, will keep you posted on progress. If you want to see the thread on my restoration, go to
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=113391

I have it figured out, so I can keep the factory floor shifter. The throw of the cable was shorter, so I drilled a hole closer to the tranny, but the factory cable just buckled when it came out of the casing. I ended up using a Hurst cable that has a metal sleeve. I also had to build an extension and weld it to the shifter to accommodate the aftermarket cable. I also had to make a bracket to mount it to the tranny. Bench tested it and it works perfect! Now I can install the tranny, but I need to get carpet before I put the shifter in.

Attachments

• shifter6.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 1,210
  • shifter7.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 2,444
  • shifter8.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,214
I have it figured out, so I can keep the factory floor shifter. The throw of the cable was shorter, so I drilled a hole closer to the tranny, but the factory cable just buckled when it came out of the casing. I ended up using a Hurst cable that has a metal sleeve. I also had to build an extension and weld it to the shifter to accommodate the aftermarket cable. I also had to make a bracket to mount it to the tranny. Bench tested it and it works perfect! Now I can install the tranny, but I need to get carpet before I put the shifter in.

So how did this work out? Is the car on the road? Is the shifter working well? What cable did you purchase?

I'm putting a later model 904 with lockup into my 65 Dart and I want to do the same thing.

So how did this work out? Is the car on the road? Is the shifter working well? What cable did you purchase?

I'm putting a later model 904 with lockup into my 65 Dart and I want to do the same thing.
imperial services has the cable kit you need. i thought they were gone but i just googled and the web site is still up. you will also need to change the speedo cable and have the drive shaft rebuilt for a slip yoke.

imperial services has the cable kit you need. i thought they were gone but i just googled and the web site is still up. you will also need to change the speedo cable and have the drive shaft rebuilt for a slip yoke.

I've read some posts on other threads that Imperial Services is either defunct or extremely slow to ship.

I am doing the same thing. A 66 904 going into a 1965 Dart GT. If there is any recipe out there which will make my work a bit easier, please
let me know since I would certainly appreciate it. I, as well, would like to maintain the 65 console in the car. I called Imperial, and they are having trouble getting cables which will work with this application. They suggested Atlas Obsolete, but they could not help me either. Any drawings, photos, instructions, or vendors in how to accomplish this would be great. Old Dart 66. Thanks for the help.

I have a 65 Dart GT with the factory floor shifter. It originally has the two cable set up, with one cable for park. I am installing a newer 904 without the park cable. I want to use the original floor shifter, but the cable throw is much shorter than the newer 904, that has the typical shift linkage with the kickdown on top. Can anyone point me in the right direction to set up the old cable with the newer 904 linkage? I can fabricate most anything, but the shorter cable throw is going to be a nightmare as I see it now.

Thanks, MC
I noted your post on using a later model 904 in your 65 Dart. How did you come out on this application. I am installing a 66 904 in my 65 dart and I would like to maintain the 65 console. I tried Imperial, Atlas Obsolete, and others, and it seems that no one could help me on this. Any advice you could give me would be great. Thanks. Old Dart 66

here is what another member used for a solution to keep the console. since you have a 1966 transmission cables for the shifter should be available, Lawrence

aaa.jpg

here is what another member used for a solution to keep the console. since you have a 1966 transmission cables for the shifter should be available, Lawrence

View attachment 1714930715
Lawrence, Thanks, Would you know who might have the cables. I appreciate your response, time, and consideration. Old Dart 66

66 is 1st year of a non cable shifted trans, why wouldn't any aftermarket cable work for a 904 ?

66 is 1st year of a non cable shifted trans, why wouldn't any aftermarket cable work for a 904 ?
Thank you, and yes, 66 is the first year mechanical linkage. I have a rebuilt 66 904 which I would like to install in the 65 maintaining the 65 console shifter. What companies make the aftermarket cable/cables that could make this conversion. I have tried Imperial, Atlas Obsolete, Shumacher, and a few others, and they all no longer make these conversion kits. What companies would you advise to help with this conversion. Thanks for your time and input. I appreciate it greatly. Old Dart 66

sounds like you need to contact musclecar above & follow his mods to make it work.

I posted some pics in a post Jan 17, putting a Hurst Pro-Matic shifter into a 65 floor console.
64 65 Dart shifter console. What shifter?
this was post with pictures if you can go back and find it. went back and found some pics

IMG_20150326_134149467.jpg

IMG_20150402_212654329.jpg

I posted some pics in a post Jan 17, putting a Hurst Pro-Matic shifter into a 65 floor console.
64 65 Dart shifter console. What shifter?
this was post with pictures if you can go back and find it. went back and found some pics

View attachment 1714931456

View attachment 1714931457
Hello GTX, Thanks for the response and the info. When using a Hurst Pro-matic shifter, does a cable come with that shifter. If so, does that cable work using the 66 or later 904? Are there any modifications to be made. I will go back to find the pics. Thanks again for your help. Even knowing what shifter to use is a step forward. I appreciate your time. Old Dart 66.

I believe it came with cable. I pulled my 65 tranny out when I had trouble getting new cables (sound familiar). I'm running a 1968, 904 now which is single cable set up. I can post more pics of install if you can't find original post.

I put a 1984 Lockup 904 into my 65 dart, but the shift linkage solution is the same as your 66.

Here's a link to my thread. The very last post covers the shifter cable solution I came up with. I used a B&M cable. Since the post I've put about 500 miles on the car. So far it's worked flawlessly.

A998 w/ Lockup in a 65 Dart with 273

Last edited:
I believe it came with cable. I pulled my 65 tranny out when I had trouble getting new cables (sound familiar). I'm running a 1968, 904 now which is single cable set up. I can post more pics of install if you can't find original post.
Thanks GTX, I am not sure, with our new format, if any of the old post were lost. I went back, and I could not find the old photos. If you would not mind, could you post your photos? Thanks again. I am looking forward to solving this situation. Pocket Ace also has an answer for me. I appreciate the help.

I put a 1984 Lockup 904 into my 65 dart, but the shift linkage solution is the same as your 66.

Here's a link to my thread. The very last post covers the shifter cable solution I came up with. I used a B&M cable. Since the post I've put about 500 miles on the car. So far it's worked flawlessly.

A998 w/ Lockup in a 65 Dart with 273
Hey PA, Cool, did you happen to make any drawings of the bracket which bolts to the transmission? Nice setup. Thanks.

I mocked up both brackets with cardboard before I made them in metal. I still have the cardboard templates. Let me see what I can do regarding getting them posted.

Found the pics, I had to remove center bracket & I think part of the front bracket so cable could clear. I also had to cut ash tray off below so it would clear shifter with console in place. Ash tray pops into place from above and looks normal until you open top and can see shifter. If you can mount shifter with tranny out of car do it, so much easier for drilling holes and attaching it to hump. Hope this helps
IMG_20150321_165117445.jpg
IMG_20150322_160007126.jpg
IMG_20150322_160049628.jpg

-
Back