1965 Dart GT "Charger 273"

-

scamp80602

Life Long MOPAR Man
Reaction score
It's possible I have found one of these cars, but I need some info to verify this. From what I've been reading, there were 180 built at the LA plant, and 300 "kits" sent to dealers. Here are my questions:

1) Did the "kits" come with the cars built at the LA plant for the dealers to install - maybe in the trunk of the cars delivered from the factory?

2) Were all "Charger 273" cars built at the LA plant?

3) What did the "kits" consist of?

4) Is there any distinction between a Dart GT that could have been ordered with the performance 4bbl 273 and these cars? I understand there were 6000 1965 Darts that were built with the HiPo 273

5) Does anyone know the serial numbers of the "Charger 273" cars?

6) How do I tell if the car I'm looking at was made at the LA plant?

The one I found has no "273 Charger" emblem, no Cragars - but interestingly enough, it has an older Cragar lug nut box in the trunk with regular wheel lug nuts inside it - and no "273 Charger" emblem on the dash. It is pale yellow, with black vinyl top - I recognize the vinyl as the premium vinyl fabric that you would have seen on an Imperial. This car also has red valve covers, but otherwise they look identical to the HiPo 273 valve covers I've seen with the black crinkle finish. The car is a survivor - no modifications at all, as near as I can tell.

Ping member 65dartcharger

I think he's got all the info

There's a Facebook newsletter on them...might be run by 65dartcharger?

Ping member 65dartcharger

I think he's got all the info

There's a Facebook newsletter on them...might be run by 65dartcharger?

Yup, Ulf is the man when it comes to the Dart Charger cars, or just about anything that has to do with the 1965 Dodge Dart!! :glasses7:

1. At this point it's unknown if the parts were in the trunk. But since there is some cars that have other colors then pale yellow and even 270 series my guess would be that the kits were ordered separately. It's even Dartchargers that were "produced" at Hamtramck.

2. All factory Dartchargers were built at the LA plant. Some of the dealer kitcars were prodeced in Detroit.

3. The kits included the badge for the front fenders and the dash. There were two option on wheels. You could order the Cragar S/S wheels with polished aluminium center and chromed ring as factory Dartchargers or you could order the car with full chromed wheels.

4. The factory Dartchargers I have in my registry were produced from September 1964 to mid March 1965. The kit cars from November 1964 to May 1965. Remember that the yellow paint was not official until March of 1965. Late March 1965 Chrysler released the go/go package Darts and the ones I have are produced from March 1965 to June 1965. For the go/go package any engine was availible!!!! So my best idea is to check the date on the fendertag first. Send me a pm with vin, date andso no and I might have it in my list.

5. Starts with 70 or 06.

6. All LA cars starts with L455 in the vin number.

7. Do you have any pictures of the car?

Right now there is 34 cars

Red finned factory valve covers? Please post a pic.

This is pictures I have of a 273 HP engine as well as the car itself. This is the rare Dart go/go package.

Attachments

• 3m23p83lc5V25U65P1b8b1c1c06848c141309.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,573
  • 5Y65Z15W63ne3mc3o3bbn98eeb93fca87135c.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,557
  • 5Q25W65U43na3k23m7bbn03794184ec7110e8.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 1,536
Man those valve covers look great red! Who would have thunk. Is that an original stripe? That stripe sure would look good on my 65 GT

This is pictures I have of a 273 HP engine as well as the car itself. This is the rare Dart go/go package.

Yes,that'sthe Dart go/go package that became availible in late March 1965.

Attachments

• Moparbilder 023.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,496
  • Moparbilder 024.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 1,545
Was that only on the yellow cars? And what is with the stripe off to one side on some and in the middle on others? I like the down the middle stripe. I may want to incorporate that in my Dart. What all did that package include? I have never seen that before. Thanks!

Was that only on the yellow cars? And what is with the stripe off to one side on some and in the middle on others? I like the down the middle stripe. I may want to incorporate that in my Dart. What all did that package include? I have never seen that before. Thanks!

They just had the offset for the hardtop and the center stripe for the convertible!

Thats funny,
In the pic it is the opposite. Looks like centered on the hard top, and offset on the convertible.

Where they available in any other colors?

They just had the offset for the hardtop and the center stripe for the convertible!

Thats funny,
In the pic it is the opposite. Looks like centered on the hard top, and offset on the convertible.

Where they available in any other colors?[/QUOTEOh shoot! Yes you are right. Center stripe on hardtops ane side stripes on convertibles.

The only color for these go/go package cars were pale yellow. This was the introduction for pale yellow on the Darts.

Look at what I found:

Here's one that's badged as a Dart Charger, but somebody added a Go Wing and later model twin snorkel scoops...Blechhh.
(Plus the description was cut/pasted from a poncho listing - 389 tri power???)

http://classiccars.com/listing/328296.html

Here's a Go Go package in Canada with a matching (paint) trailer:

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/morriss65.html

And here's an auction (unsold) from earlier this year for what they claim to be the first Go Go package off the production line:

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=385&aid=51942&lid=13413664#

I seem to remember asymmetric racing stripes being big back in the 60s (I'm just barely old enough to think I remember that)

Here's the listing for the car I'm looking at:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3152654409.html

Can you explain exactly what the go/go package consisted of, and how rare that is? This one looks exactly like the one 65dartcharger has. I'm told by the owner it may be the 1st one off the line - built 3/17/1965

In my register I have two Dart go/go package cars assembled that day. Do you buy chance have the vin number?

The go/go package was meant to be yellow paint, black interior, black top/vinyltop, cragars and the stripe kit. But you could have a slant six and stripes if you wanted. The paint was the big thing.

I have all the films and radio commercials about this car.

Sweet car! I would think that is a very good price. I paid 6,500 for my Cal. 65 GT. And it no longer had the original engine or paint. And I was more than happy to pay that. Rust free cars are just about non existent hear in the rust belt.

Here's the listing for the car I'm looking at:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3152654409.html

Can you explain exactly what the go/go package consisted of, and how rare that is? This one looks exactly like the one 65dartcharger has. I'm told by the owner it may be the 1st one off the line - built 3/17/1965

65dartcharger - I can get the vin. I'll probably have it by tomorrow. The car isn't exactly rust free - has rust low in both rear quarters, and looks to be tender on the right fender behind the wheel well. Has some trim damage to front hood and headlight bezels, and the rear aluminum panel on the trunk lid. I don't think it's original paint - looks to have been sprayed once (same color as original, though), and after that, something happened to the passengers door and that was refinished in a slightly different lighter shade. It does need to be repainted - lots of door dings and other surface damage. Vinyl top is toast, has a good dash crack, someone put Armor-all on the rear seats, and the inserts are all sticky and messed up, drivers seat needs to be redone, package tray is toast. That's the bad. Sounds awesome when running, and didn't see any smoke on startup. I would believe the 68K mile figure - just needs about 7K in cosmetics, including paint and body work to bring it to show condition. That's a 15K total investment, and seems a bit high for the final result, given the market right now.

vin is L452652231

Yes, I know the car. Chris Porter used to own it.

It's the first produced Dart go/go package car that I have in the registry.

These are the numbers for go/go darts;

Hardtop = 2 cars, one 4-speed and one automatic
Convertibles = 3 cars, one 4-speed and two automatics

These are the go/go Darts that have been found since 1989.

Yes, Chris still owns the car - that's who I've spoken with. Thanks 65dartcharger!

Do you know the total production of 1965 Darts with the go/go package?

Ouch! Sounds pretty rough.

65dartcharger - I can get the vin. I'll probably have it by tomorrow. The car isn't exactly rust free - has rust low in both rear quarters, and looks to be tender on the right fender behind the wheel well. Has some trim damage to front hood and headlight bezels, and the rear aluminum panel on the trunk lid. I don't think it's original paint - looks to have been sprayed once (same color as original, though), and after that, something happened to the passengers door and that was refinished in a slightly different lighter shade. It does need to be repainted - lots of door dings and other surface damage. Vinyl top is toast, has a good dash crack, someone put Armor-all on the rear seats, and the inserts are all sticky and messed up, drivers seat needs to be redone, package tray is toast. That's the bad. Sounds awesome when running, and didn't see any smoke on startup. I would believe the 68K mile figure - just needs about 7K in cosmetics, including paint and body work to bring it to show condition. That's a 15K total investment, and seems a bit high for the final result, given the market right now.

I have a 1965 Dodge Dart GT
VIN: L455161894

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,230
  • bb.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,150
-
Back