1965 Dart GT restoration

-
I finished the kick panels, and one rear panel. I am tackling a door panel now. Pics are of the two completed kick panels, and the right rear panel. I decided to use the MOPAR logo on the rear panel, and will do so on the main door panels as well. I placed it high because the armrest is just below it. My sewing machine is singing now, cause I am learning how to treat her right! The MOPAR logo took about 15 minutes to sew, and I think was well worth it. A friend wants me to do a "Chrysler" cursive for his car interior. That will be a challenge, but I can do it.

Attachments

• kickpanels.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 311
  • moparlogo1.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 282
  • rearpanel5.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 284
Have you found some buckets, bench , seat? Do you have the originals? After the awsome kick panels and rear panels , Just wondering about your seating arrangement.

I have the original buckets but the covers and foam are completely trashed. The frames are good, but that is down the road a month or so. I have completed both kick panels, both rear seat panels, and one door panel. Shown is the door panel for the right hand door.

Attachments

• rfdoorpanel.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 254
I have completed both kick panels, both rear seat panels, and one door panel. Shown is the door panel for the right hand door.

glad to see this, looks good, one of a kind
(hope to take that path myself someday)

Hey, you're doing great work on your car. Great skills with the sewing machine too. Keep it up!

Just one pic tonight, the rear package tray. I will finish it with vinyl.

Attachments

• packagetray1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 208
Ok, so I am done with the rear package tray, the piece that always has speaker holes. No speakers will be in this car. I want to hear the engine only. I have learned a lot about my sewing machine, and I don't want to hear about sewing as a "womans sport". LOL! I consider it as a tool in my shop. Anyway, check out the pics.

Attachments

• packagetray6.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 189
  • packagetray5.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 181
  • packagetray4.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 185
  • packagetray3.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 188
  • packagetray2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 185
  • packagetray7.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 183
Musclecar, Wow!... That rolled bead is Looking pro . Merry Christmas.

I agree, very nice work!! Being good at sewing is a skill to be proud of, not a gender specific one to be ashamed of. I wish I were good at it. Very nice work on some unique interior appointments you will not see on any other cars on cruise night!! My hat is off to you!!:cheers:

I haven't posted for a while, and slowed down during the holidays. I have been working on the interior though, and have one picture of the back seat. It is not perfect, and a little dusty, but will do for now. I am working on the "sit down" part of the back seat inside the house. I ordered the transmission today, and will get the tires and rims ordered next week. I plan on really getting busy in the next month when the weather warms up.

Attachments

• rear seat.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 336
Your interior stitching is absolutely awesome.

Not trying to highjack, but wanted to ask a few questions.

Is there anything special about your sewing machine, or just using a standard one with vinyl needles?

Is there a specific thickness of vinyl you are using?

Thinking of doing something similar in my car, just not sure where to start.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!

Hey BlackBrick, I am using a standard Brother CE5500PRW. $135 at Walmart. It comes with a vinyl/denim needle that should be used, and am using a heavy thread. The only problem I have been having is when stitching two panels together with the cord moulding. I may end up doing without the cord.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I am going to be taking a crack at this soon, hopefully, my stuff comes out as nice as yours!

You can be proud of your skills with the sewing machine. Awesome job!
Thanks 65dartcharger. It is encouraging to hear positive feedback from fellow Mopar lovers! I used to be a Chevy man, but have found a new love:) Mopower! This car is light weight, and so easy to work on. Unlike my Suburban that takes 6 hours to change an intake manifold gasket. Dexcool stinks in my book. If you have a comment about Dexcool, post away!

I haven't posted in a while, but still plugging away at the Dart. I changed plans with the engine, instead of the 318, I bought a 360, mildly built. .030 pistons with an RV cam, Edelbrock performer. I decided to go with the 904, with a shift kit, professionally built. All linkage is cable from Lokar. I received the tires and rims yesterday. 235/60/15 on the back, and 195/60/15 on the front. I also bought a donor car for some body parts. My parts were ok, but needed a lot of work. The donor car is going to save me a lot of time fixing what I have. I will have a lot of extra stuff, so if you need anything for a 19 65 Dart, let me know. It will be a running machine in 1 month!!

Attachments

• dartstance.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 250
  • 1965dartdonor1.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 273
They are rust free, but have some damage. Someone before me drilled holes up by the headlights, to pull the damage. I did the best I could to straighten the metal, but filler was required to make it straight. If that doesn't scare you, PM me.

Got the carpet today, it fits ok, but not perfect. Trimming is no problem, but molded fit is not perfect. It will fit nice after much trimming. Also, FINALLY, have the 360 home. It was rebuilt with .030 pistons, rv cam, etc. I checked the main bearings, and rod bearings, and number 3 and 4 mains were finger tight. No damage was done, but, whew, caught it in time. Here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

• 360.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 201
  • carpet1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 197
Hope I'm not too late.....the loose main bolts aren't your only problem....I hate to tell you ....but they built your motor upside down!

-
Back