1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
As I recall from the "old days" all of the u-joints from the factory had the clips with the retainer wire or spring. It was probably so they didn't lose the caps while handling a bunch of driveshafts from the point of shipping through installation. Replacements (as I recall) whether from the dealer, as a Mopar part, or a parts house had regular clips with no retainer. They probably figured that since the mechanic was only working with one driveshaft he could keep track of the caps......

Thanks for the info. But in that case where is the spring that holds the cups? I have the two packages with assembly line U-joints. There are no springs present.

I got back the steering column in excellent condition. I started to grease the cup and added new "blocks" on the column. New gasket but I can't find the clips that goes over and hold it in place!!!!

The mark in the upper part of the column should be pointing upwards during assembly. That meets the oposit on the steering wheel.

The newer steering couplers also have a spring clip on the blocks. Do the older ones have that too? http://www.dodgeconnection.com/catalog/item/2901766/6770008.htm

grimreaper As I recall from the "old days" all of the u-joints from the factory had the clips with the retainer wire or spring. It was probably so they didn't lose the caps while handling a bunch of driveshafts from the point of shipping through installation. Replacements (as I recall) whether from the dealer, as a Mopar part, or a parts house had regular clips with no retainer. They probably figured that since the mechanic was only working with one driveshaft he could keep track of the caps......

I will see if I can reuse my old clips and the spring. That might solve the problem.

The newer steering couplers also have a spring clip on the blocks. Do the older ones have that too? http://www.dodgeconnection.com/catal...66/6770008.htm

I checked my old one and I think I can reuse it. I had NOS springs for the blocks so they are done.

Plug on the diff cover looks slightly chewed -- that happens when people try to insert 6-point bolt heads to turn an 8-point recessed plug like this. But other than that, no, it's correct.

I need to find a new steel plate that goes under the lower control arm bumper. Mine is dead!

Helped out my brother in law to clean his engine/transmission combo. We found a pink paint splot on the center link. On top of the transmission we found a green paint splot on the top. Can that have been an ok stamp?

Where do the bracket for the transmission lines mounts? This is how it's done on Mikaels car and it's assembled in Detroit.

Any help is appriciated.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 012.jpg

View attachment 009.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

Don! Late last night a friend showed up and he brought some left over stuff from his 65 Barracuda. Talk about a coincidense there was that plate!!!! And it was in very good condition. Some glass beading and a new shot of paint it looks new. This car was assembled at Hamtramck in June of 65. I will check up on the plates when the Dart 270 wagon arrives from LA. It should be here within two weeks.

I started to do some investigations re the spare wheel. After checking all my 23 wheels I found out that I have one mint wheel. I took it out of the trunk from a 65 Dart who had an engine fire. The wheel are in mint condition. On another wheel I found the name of the manufacturer. Electrofuse. Was there someone else who did the wheels?

I found on a worn out wheel how the stampings looks like and how the date codes work. Worn out is the hole for the bolt is larger than standard.

This is a 13x4,5" wheel produced in H4 which would be August 1964. On the right side is the number 782. Any knowledge about that? Last three numbers in the partnumber?

The wheels seems to have been painted with the green primer and then top coated with the black paint. The wheel must have been laying flat during the black paint. There is evidence of flowing paint like the wheel have been standing after the paint was shot.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 007.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 010.jpg

The exhaust systemis special on the 273 HP engine. On top of that they superseeded some partnumbers and I only have the May 1966 edition. I need help to get the rightpartnumbers.

From right to left this is what I came up with;

1. Y-pipe #2660445
2. Clamp #1603365
3. Exhaust pipe #2534471/2660539
4. Clamp #1603364
5. Muffler #2534467/2660541 aluminized
Muffler #2660548 zinc
6. Clamp #1603365
7. Front muffler hanger #2534460
8. Pipe #2534450
9. Clamp #1603364/1843009
10. Resonator #2660543
11. Rear hanger #2585358

If someone have the earlier edition of the partsbook it would be of tremendous help for me. I still doesn't have the pipe over the rear end as well as the clamps and the front and rear hanger.

View attachment 013.jpg

Don! Late last night a friend showed up and he brought some left over stuff from his 65 Barracuda. Talk about a coincidense there was that plate!!!! And it was in very good condition. Some glass beading and a new shot of paint it looks new. This car was assembled at Hamtramck in June of 65. I will check up on the plates when the Dart 270 wagon arrives from LA. It should be here within two weeks.

Talk about coincidence - I was pulling out a rear window to take a picture for pettybludart and came across a set of LCAs under a workbench. They both had those plates, which I removed for safekeeping. This is the 3rd set of plates that I've seen - yours and the one set that I saw a long time ago.

Talk about coincidence - I was pulling out a rear window to take a picture for pettybludart and came across a set of LCAs under a workbench. They both had those plates, which I removed for safekeeping. This is the 3rd set of plates that I've seen - yours and the one set that I saw a long time ago.

Thanks for looking Don. You never know when they gonna show up. Today arrived the rear axle backing plate. Thelook new. During the assembly I added the new rear brake cables. They have a red mark towards the front of the car and yellow markings on the parts mounted to the backing plate. The parking brake cable also has a paper trag with the partnumber.

The brake cylinders are new but the bolts that holds them in place. I just restored two of them and the ones that I have left are in bad condition. Any help for the bolts are appriciated. The bolt has a special washer attached to it.

The lever that goes between the brake shoes should have a spring on one side. I have only one and that seems to be for 9 inch brakes. Shoot! Why does this always happens when it's assembly times?

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 479
  • 005.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 495
  • 004.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 462
  • 002.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 509
  • 001.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 509
In the front drum on my convertible the studs for the wheels are welded into the center section. On my hardtopn that is not the case. So the question is if the welding was standard procedure or if was done later?

For the exhaust system there are different clamps. These parts 1843009 or 1603364 for Plymouth and DeSoto. This is how they looks and they has been in the partsbooks since 1955. Does anyone have an exhaust system that is untouched? or has the clips been the same since 1955?

Any help is appriciated.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 475
  • 002.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 458
  • 001.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 489
The clamp pictured, is that the one at the resonator? On my dads 1966 Barracuda-S he has a nice original exhaust system, from the manifolds to the resonator was almost NOS, early take-off. (he traded his aftermarket dual pipes for it lol!!!) Next time I am out there I can take all the pics you want! Again it's 66 but I bet the parts were still the same. The guy he got it from at the time had a 1965 Cuda-S so maybe it's from 65? I can check for any codes or numbers too.

Thanks Keith for bringing some pictures and thank you chryslerfat for help re the studs. I checked all my front drums and only one was welded.

Today arrived a new package from US with restored bolt and nuts.

Started out with the nuts for the U-clamps. They seems to be pressed in one end for locking purpose. The rear shock plates are in as new condition with the right nuts and washers. The front hagers for the rear springs has the right finish on the bolt and nut and also for the nuts holding it to the body.

Question: The rear transmission bracket has four bolts that holds it to the body. Which way are the bolted from? Should it be like they are now or should they have the bolt head on the other side?

The breather on the rear end was tricky to get back together. There is a little spring and a small rubber gasket that provents dirt to get into the house. But it turned out great.

The rear brakes continued with the pins from the brake cylinder to the brake shoes. The rear spring(pink) was added but before I was going to add the wire I found a marking on the wire for the self adjusting stuff. It seems to have been manufactured by a company called "M"!

The last thing tonight was to assemble the windshield washer motor with the linkage. New grease, new bushings and new black finish on the clips made them back to stock condition. If I just could find NOS wiper arms!

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 007.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 009.jpg

View attachment 010.jpg

View attachment 013.jpg

View attachment 014.jpg

What style wiper arms do you have, the ones with the polished arm with the chrome base where it mounts to the stud, or the ones that are dull silver? Do your wiper blade assemblies have the "red dot" on them? Also, does your wiper arm press on to the stud or bolt on? On my valiant, the arms press on and are dull silver, I have a real nice used set of polished/chrome ones but not sure if I will put them on, both assemblies have the "red dot" and press on the stud. Maybe post a pic of the ones you have and I can help locate some.

I found a NOS pair complete with the wiper blade assemblies,
maybe they are the ones you need. I will PM you the info!

What style wiper arms do you have, the ones with the polished arm with the chrome base where it mounts to the stud, or the ones that are dull silver? Do your wiper blade assemblies have the "red dot" on them? Also, does your wiper arm press on to the stud or bolt on? On my valiant, the arms press on and are dull silver, I have a real nice used set of polished/chrome ones but not sure if I will put them on, both assemblies have the "red dot" and press on the stud. Maybe post a pic of the ones you have and I can help locate some.

Keith! I have the stainless tseel arms with chromed base. Mines are great but could be better. I have a set of NOS blades as shown. Manufacturer ANCO.

View attachment 015.jpg

THis the exhaust system so far. STill I miss the first clamp, the pipe over the rear end and the rear clamp. On top of that the front and rear hanger. Date coded muffler and the part# printed into the resonator like stock.

I have heard that the end of the resonator in US was black from the beginning instead of stainless steel. Any input?

Of cause if someone out there has some of the missing parts I am more then interested.

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

All of the mufflers I can remember from back in the day on these cars had bent corners. Do you have any info on that?

I recall that also but think it was one corner near the u-joint but not very clear if there were more than 1 bend.

I've also heard (or read somewhere) the same thing - the right rear was squashed in for clearance for something. I can check my NOS 65 muffler tomorrow and see if it's like that.

I think you guys are right. That right rear corner was squashed in due to clearence to the prop.shaft. That means that the date code, Pentastar and the vendores number is dowwnwards.

The rear brake hose has the right Wagner name plate attached and the right date code. 210th day of 1964. The hose also has a papertag around it. It seems like it has been a number on it. Probably to separate the A-body cars and B-body cars coming down the assembly line. The front one is right as well incl the paper tag I don't have one side!!

I got an idea today to clean brass. Boiling vinegar essence with a little of bicarbonate and let the water boil with the brass part in the pot. So we will see what happens tomorow!!

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 007.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 009.jpg

View attachment 013.jpg

-
Back