1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Mounted the springs on the drums. I just need one more drum. Were the drums painted from factory? Mine was yellow.But was there another color?

Started with the splash shield. That is a challenge to find the rubber moulding for it!

View attachment 001.jpg

mine are black, but I don't know if they came from the factory that color. It looks like old paint, but I'm not sure.

Dan! I checked the partscatalog and according to them they had the same straight type for 1964, 1965 and 1967. In 1967 they changed style to S shape. Check out the pictures.

Your parts book pics match my parts book pics, but the P/N remains the same (1828 352).

I don't know how you're seeing any hold-down in that old colour picture!

Found an old radiator cap in mint condition. Did they had the 16 psi or the 14psi

Both. 14-pound for standard cooling and without air conditioning. 16-pound for heavy-duty cooling and/or with air conditioning.

Ulf . are your brake drums 9" or 10" ? How did you install the springs back onto the drums ulf.?. two set of hands I would think .lol
Thanks !
John

on my brake drums , I could see yellow paint . appears they were painted yelllow at one time . ........... no Idea if from the factory though .

on my brake drums , I could see yellow paint . appears they were painted yelllow at one time . ........... no Idea if from the factory though .

John! On the DartCharger brake drum I'm pretty sure that they painted them yellow. I've seen it on five cars. I know that alot of cars having red drums. But as Tadams wrote they might have been painted black too.

Dan! I will try to get some better pictures from old magazines to show it. The battery strap, can it had been the same supplier but they just changed the model?

I started with the inner fender splash shield. I have NOS ones for the drivers side. The rear one is grayand the front ones I have is grey and black. The rear ones seems to have been painted black on both sides before they were mounted. The upper "rubberish corner" must be reproduced. Does anyone know where to find that material?

The rubber moulding on thisone was ok. The last clamp is shot so I need a new rubber strip. Are these reproduced some where?

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 007.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

Ulf, I have a large section of rubber sheeting like the one for the inner fender shield, it has the bits of cloth in it, I think it's to add strength? It is slightly textured too, very close to what Mopar used, measure your pieces and let me know how much you need!!

I took some pics of the rubber material, I will send them later tonigt :glasses7:

I'm out of answers on the battery hold-down, I'm afraid. :-(

I think Gary Goers might have those inner fender shields.

Keith!

I will check thedimension and get back to you,

Dan!

I did some reading and this is what I cameup with;

Picture #1, Showing a 1964 Barracuda froma July 64 issue and it's got the old battery strap.

Picture #2, Found an odd place for the anti freeze decal - on the radiator top!!!

Picture #3, 65 Barracuda Formula S fron October 64.Got the S-shapedbatterystrap. You can also see the text "RAD END"on the upper radiator hose.

Picture #4, 65 Barracuda Formula S from Nov, 1964. Got the new S-shaped strap.

Picture #5, 66 Barracuda Formula S with new style. Keith! Checkout the placement of the certicard holder!

Picture #6, 65 Barracuda with new style strap.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

Th rear inner fenders are held in place with 4 screws w/washerin silver zinc. The first pictures are showing the ones from Detroit and the second picture showing the ones from the plant in LA. Not sure how they looked in St Louis.

The ones that are reproduced are not the same.

The bolt holding the inner splash shield at the lower part has some kind of tag on the backside. Can it have been some kind of paper tag hanging there at the assembly line with some kind of facts or something? The bolt has #23 casted in the head. When the car was done they just ripped of the tag.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 498
  • 004.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 513
  • 003.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 498
  • 002.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 517
  • 001.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 547
After going through these only three pictures that Chrylser had from the LA plant in 65 you will see some papers taped up every here and there.

Might be the case with the inner splash shield.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 492
  • 010.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 501
  • 011.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 508
Today I found one wrench in mint condition. After some glass beading and a new coat of paint it looks mint. The accelerator assembly is done too. I found an new black plastic plug.

I have an NOS power steering presssure hose dated week 35 of 1968. I'm willing to trade that for one dated from week 34 of 1964 to week 2 of 1965. Any help is appriciated.

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 536
  • 004.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 477
  • 002.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 503
  • 001.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 479
I cooked the brass fittings for the transmission cooler on the radiator and the fittings are the same as the ones on the tranny. It seems to be date coded with G meaning August of 1964. Also bears the "W" Weatherhead symbol. I think the ones on the radiator is easier tofid in good condition. Cooked it in vineguar and it turned out great. But, this one was mounted on the radiator when it was painted.

I found a bolt which I think is for the rear resonator holder to the rear frame. It has a copperish washer on it too. I know from the parts of the bolt I found that it was sharped in the front like an arrow. Anyone seen this before?

THe fan belts found their way to the engine today. The fan belt is late 1964 with 1964 number 2264242 and the power steering belt is 1854895. Orginally for 1965 the part# should be 2658391. But 1964 fan belts has been found on A-bodies up to March 1965. Probably left overs.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 474
  • 001.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 506
  • 007.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 494
  • 006.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 480
  • 010.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 456
  • 008.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 473
  • 005.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 452
"I found a bolt which I think is for the rear resonator holder to the rear frame. It has a copperish washer on it too. I know from the parts of the bolt I found that it was sharped in the front like an arrow. Anyone seen this before?"

Hi Ulf, here is some pictures of the rear resonator bracket on my dads 1966, if you want next time I am out there I can pull the bolt out to see if it has a pointed tip. The lower bolt doesn't appear to be original.

I took more pics of the entire exhaust system but it doesn't appear to have any of the original clamps, it has been welded together at the different sections. In 1986 this exhaust ststem was almost NOS but when the car was restored dad wasn't fussy (remember, it was 1986 lol) how the exhaust was put on, he probably had the clamps but they may have been tossed in the trash :banghead:

DSC05392.jpg

DSC05393.jpg

DSC05396.jpg

DSC05394.jpg

Here are the pics of the rubber I have for your inner fender seals/flaps. It is really nice, like new and is real close to the factory stuff. The pics are not the best but you can get an idea! I will send you what you need :D

62E69CD6-orig.jpg

E7247A38-orig.jpg

59204F41-orig.jpg

Would your car have originally come with 14" Good Year Blue Streak tires new, then swapped out for the 13" Cragars it was delivered with as a Dart Charger?

Here is the one resting in the trunk of my dads 1966 Barracuda, only have the one.

Picture1740.jpg

Those rubber parts Keith seems fine to me. The tire must be extremly rare. First one I've seen in 32 years of early A-body!!

No actually the DartChargers just came in 13 inch. Maybe if you specialordered the car. But what I have found out so far all DartChargers had the 13 inch Cragar wheels from Bells Auto. I know that the assembly line DartChargers stopped some where in late March due to produktion of GoGo package Darts GTs. However some dealer kit cars may have been sold with 14 inch but not something I now of. I know for sure that Chrysler started to offer front disc brakes in May of 1965 and they required 14 inch wheel so maybe from that point.

My DartCharger hardtop didn't come with a jack stand. My convertible did but it was full of paint but I repainted it grey. This one is from my old Dart 270 sedan and this car is produced in Hamtramck, Detroit. You guys that has LA built cars, what color was your jack stand and can you shoot me a picture of that Caution decal on the base.

Thanks in advance

View attachment 012.jpg

I think Tarn-X would have worked on the brass. I have used it to polich the brass radiator tanks years ago.

Beautiful! Soooo…what were the tricks?

When I asked her what to do she just mentioned that;
- I will take care of this. You are after a great result.
- Of cause I am.
- Don't mind ask me then! We don't do this for public but I will see if I can help you.

When I got back to pick it up I saw that she had some kind of copper/brass cleaning stuff in a small pot with a little brush. I didn't mind to ask her as the result was great.

I will keep the contact with her if I have some more odd brass parts.

-
Back