1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Some parts arrived from US yesterday. There is a big difference between the assembly line parts and the aftermarket even if it was orginal Mopar.

Just look at these clamps for the rubber boot on the drive shaft u-joint.

On the valve covers on the 273 HP there is aluminum fins. Mine are very good but not absolutely mint! Does any one have a complete set for sale in mint condition? NOS is ok to I guess!

Or does Leanna when she does the valve covers redo these fins too? Any help is gladly appriciated.

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

Shoot Leanna a pm. She can recondition yours to new condition. Mike

Some parts arrived from US yesterday. ...

On the valve covers on the 273 HP there is aluminum fins. Mine are very good but not absolutely mint! Does any one have a complete set for sale in mint condition? NOS is ok to I guess!

Or does Leanna when she does the valve covers redo these fins too? Any help is gladly appriciated.

I give Commando valve covers a FULL factory-style restoration from start to finish, including the black wrinkle in a powder coating, plastic dip on the wire retainers, and the customer's choice of fully-polished or 2-tone aluminum fins. (They came both ways from the factory from what I've seen; most customers elect to have the original finish restored.)

I've done close to 35 sets of Commando valve covers over the years so you'll find LOTS of photo examples right here on FABO and on my website Gallery if you'd like to check out the work. In fact, a set for member Mariner just went out a few days ago and should be on his doorstep Monday or Tuesday.

Feel free to send me a PM or give me call (if it won't kill your car project fund lol) if you have more questions or want to discuss particular details. I'm always happy to help when and where I can. :-D

I give Commando valve covers a FULL factory-style restoration from start to finish, including the black wrinkle in a powder coating, plastic dip on the wire retainers, and the customer's choice of fully-polished or 2-tone aluminum fins. (They came both ways from the factory from what I've seen; most customers elect to have the original finish restored.)

I've done close to 35 sets of Commando valve covers over the years so you'll find LOTS of photo examples right here on FABO and on my website Gallery if you'd like to check out the work. In fact, a set for member Mariner just went out a few days ago and should be on his doorstep Monday or Tuesday.

Feel free to send me a PM or give me call (if it won't kill your car project fund lol) if you have more questions or want to discuss particular details. I'm always happy to help when and where I can. :-D

Leanna!

I've seen your work on FABO and on your web site and it's super great. However I want the work to be done exactly as the assembly line did it! SO I have sent my valve covers to 6 Dartman who will give it a new coat of paint. The paint (black wrinkle) over here sucks big time! So Don will make the work done and ship them back.

If you compare a black wrinkle valve cover with your coatings: how close are they?

BTW,would it be possible for you to restore the aluminum fins? If there was two different kinds which one is mine?

I'll see if I can call you tomorrow with a bunch of questions.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

Leanna!

I've seen your work on FABO and on your web site and it's super great. However I want the work to be done exactly as the assembly line did it! SO I have sent my valve covers to 6 Dartman who will give it a new coat of paint. The paint (black wrinkle) over here sucks big time! So Don will make the work done and ship them back.

If you compare a black wrinkle valve cover with your coatings: how close are they?

BTW,would it be possible for you to restore the aluminum fins? If there was two different kinds which one is mine?

I'll see if I can call you tomorrow with a bunch of questions.

6 Dartman Don ... 65Dartman??? He's my most often-repeated customer. :-D

I think it would be better if a couple customers responded to your authenticity question rather than me -- it's not really my call, it's theirs. Guys, do you think my work is comparable to what the factory did???

I've never restored a set of fins without the rest of the valve cover :-D but I'm sure we could work out something. It looks like yours are the two-tone with polished fin tops / sides and a silver textured argent in between.

Hey Ulf, did you try calling me yesterday??? I had a call come through with less digits than a US number and a really awful connection -- I couldn't hear a thing! When I tried to return the call it wouldn't go through.

Yes, that was me. I hope we get some comments of your work on the valve covers.

Today I was able to continue the work on the right side springs and now they are ready. It only needed a washer to be glass beaded and a nut too and a coat of paint. Does anyone ever seen paint splots on the front part of the leaf springs? There should be ( I think!) paint markings for which side, number of leafs etc on the springs but I have never seen it. If someone out there has any input or information that would be very appriciated.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

I took off the trunk lock from the trunk and found out that the trunk look was mounted when the car was painted! Was this a standard procedure or just a one off? In the case it was there was the other part mounted in the trunk then? On the left bolt there is evidence of yellow paint.

Any help is appriciated.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

Yesterday I got my fuel lines from Year One. According to them the 273 and 340 the fuel lines were identical. After some checking there seems to be some differences. To use a 340 fuel line the filter will be closer to the carburator. The 273 HP has the filter closer to the water pump then the
273 2 bbl.

Does anyone know if there is someone reproducing fuel lines for 273 HP? Otherwise I need to cut the lines and just use the coupling and reproc´duce new lines.

What kind of clamps did they use on the assembly line for the fuel filter lines? Is it the left silver zinc one or the right Keystone clamp? Any help is very helpful.

My transmission front cover is new but I don't have the small cover. Was that one same finish as the big cover or was it just plain steel?

Any help is appriciated.

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

Following up on the earlier Commando valve cover discussion here, I see there hasn't been any input on your questions.

I got an email a couple days ago from Mariner (who received his valve covers earlier this week), but he's already on a ship and won't be able to add his thoughts for awhile. I think I'll just start a separate thread asking for prior customers' comments and photographs of their Commando valve covers so you can have honest evaluations on how my work compares with the factory's. I'll update this post with a link when I get it written.

Here's a link to the opinion request thread. I hope you get all the information you need to know shortly Ulf!

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1821788#post1821788

Those valve covers looks super great. I took a picture of a nice 1966 valve cover I have. There you can see as mentioned how they mask the upper 2/3 of the stovepipe.

I glassbeaded the trunk lock tonight. It was silver zinc from the beginning and it is manufactured by some company in Rockford, Ill.

I'm still looking for the spring that mounts on the lever, on the left side, between the rear brake shoes.

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 001.jpg

I'm still looking for the spring that mounts on the lever, on the left side, between the rear brake shoes.

I should have several of those springs; however, they will definitely be used and need glassbeading and painting.

Ulf .. take a look at my engine pic and look at that support for the fuel line on the water pump bolt. Looks to be all factory I believe. I did not here you mention that support. JOHN

look at this support for the fuel line ulf. all original.
john

Attachments

• uk charger engine.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 513
John! Your car is totally amazing. What a great source of information. Can you shoot a closer picture of the alternator bracket and the fuel line clip. There might be two possible style of clamps!

What color are your connections on the fuel lines? Mine seems to have been yellow dichromated.

I used a grinder I think it's called, to get rid of the rivets holding the ash tray to the front cover. After glass beading it looks new. But where to get the rivets......!

The holder for the turn signal relay on the backside of the ash tray seems to have been black from the beginning. But was is the greenish stuff on it? To me it looks like some kind of glue! Any input?

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

I checked out the rear hanger on my convertible and there it was. At least one washer! I will take that one off and make copies of it.

AND, last night I got some help from Keith to buy the last tail pipe for the exhaust system. He is such a great guy. Thanks Keith. I owe you one.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 436
65 Dartcharger. here is a pic of a 65 exhaust sustem that I have on my computer, hope it can help and also a pic of a 65 factory muffler. I don't know where I got them from but saved them for reference.

These drawings are gonna be invaluable. Now when I have the first washer I started to reproduce them today. I founf the bolts to so I just need that insulator strap that holds the rear resonator. Do they reproduce them any where?

-
Back