1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
To get the body ready for paint I need to get the last picturesof how the paint was applayed on the body. The front valence panelwas mounted and then painted red primer, green primer and finally the top coat. They even did the procedure on the inside. I haven't seen so much paint on the inside but the painter could have a bad day or something.

The front valence is sanded and ready for paint too.

I just wish the last bolts would arrive. The new "chassi" for the body is almost done. Some welding left and then the body can be lowered.

Does anyone know why the upper control arm bushings have "cut-outs" on the ears? Haven't seen that before.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 874
  • 003.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 885
  • 002.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 862
The wagon (or what you call it) for the body is on it's way. BUT I made it to high. Need to adjust the height. The painter had some complaints......!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 854
Is it possible to get picture of other wagons. I need to know how the body is attached to the wagon. Any help is appriciated.

I had some strange markings onm my lower control arms. Does anyone else have these markings? I want to be sure before I put them in place.

I haven't seen it before and that's why I want to know if someone else have seen it or know someone that have these markings on the LCAs.

Any help is appriciated.

View attachment ICCA 030.jpg

View attachment ICCA 031.jpg

I had some strange markings onm my lower control arms. Does anyone else have these markings? I want to be sure before I put them in place.

I haven't seen it before and that's why I want to know if someone else have seen it or know someone that have these markings on the LCAs.

Any help is appriciated.

Can't help you on the markings but see you have 2 different style reboud bumpers. As I understand it the round one is for earlier years and the peaked one for later years. I'm sure someone else will know for sure and what year they changed from one style to the other.

Can't help you on the markings but see you have 2 different style reboud bumpers. As I understand it the round one is for earlier years and the peaked one for later years. I'm sure someone else will know for sure and what year they changed from one style to the other.

I know that it is wrong bumper on one arm. I have the correct ones, one is even mounted on the restored LCA. But the markings is another story...........

Don do you know when they shifted bumper?

Added the tie rods and the sleeves.They look great. I even mounted the rubber shield for protection on the tie rod. Over the years they become stiff. But some hot boiling water took care of that. Now I just need one right hand thread tie rod for right outer side. Mine was not 100%.

The nuts and bolts should be uner the sleeve according to the partsbook and the shop manual. I need to get the old time cotter pins for the tie rods and the lower ball joint. The newer ones seems to be chromed or someting like that.

The plate under the lower control arm bumper are to pitted. I need a new one. Any rust free stuff out there?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 782
  • 002.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 785
I might have found a NOS tie rod end for my car here in Finland! Yihaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Hopefully I will get it tomorrow.

According to this guy the light switch was date coded from factory. I'm not sure but need to dig into it. Some one else that have date coded switched for the lights?

Are you going to let all those nice NOS parts rust or protect them with something like Gibbs penetrant?

I will use the newly realeased rust protection that you can't see. That will cover the steel so no rust accur. I would be a shame to get rust on it.

I did some painting tonight. Turned out just fine. But during my glass beading process the compressor died!

The switch for the lights was interesting. I checked my orginal switch and IT IS date coded from week 50 of 1964. So after digging through the pile of NOS ones I found out that I just have ones for production year 1963 and 1964! I asked him how he knew this and his father was at a Chrysler dealership in Finland and had got the information due to problems with the switches when you added extra hi-beam lights!!! Talk about coincidence!

There are some small differences in the shape of the switch but the contact from the wiring system is the same.

So if someone needs new switches for the headlights for 1963 and 1964 A-bodies they are for sale.

If someone have a late production 1964 headlight switch and wants to trade that will be just perfect.

View attachment 013.jpg

View attachment 014.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 010.jpg

View attachment 012.jpg

These four bolts are the onmes that hold the rear engine/tranny bracket to the body. The problem is that there is two kinds of them and I didn't checked out where they were before I took the car apart.

Any help is appriciated.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 708
Today I disassembled the switch for the lights. Some drilling and it was done. The top plate was in great shape so it just needed some glass beading. The rest will go into some cleaning stuff.

The plate will go to US tomorrow for new silver cad finish.

However the pins that I drilled out which I don't know the name of, is it possible to get some help to get them in US? Here in Sweden there is just the metric system. Any help is gladly appriciated. Of cause I will get the right dimenstions.

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 007.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 009.jpg

View attachment 010.jpg

View attachment 011.jpg

Added the tie rods and the sleeves.They look great. I even mounted the rubber shield for protection on the tie rod. Over the years they become stiff. But some hot boiling water took care of that. Now I just need one right hand thread tie rod for right outer side. Mine was not 100%.

The nuts and bolts should be uner the sleeve according to the partsbook and the shop manual. I need to get the old time cotter pins for the tie rods and the lower ball joint. The newer ones seems to be chromed or someting like that.

The plate under the lower control arm bumper are to pitted. I need a new one. Any rust free stuff out there?

I thought the DartChargers came with a sway bar

The DartCharger package was except the 273 hipo engine mostly a cosmetic option.
All cars were yellow, choise of white or black vinyl roof or just painted roof. The other standare option that I have found out was 4-spped or automatic transmission, radio package, outside remote mirror, front and rear bumperguards. Other options was hd brakes, hd suspension, sure grip.

The answer to you question is that the sway bay was a ootion, I think it was a dealer option but I'm not sure.

After a good cleaning job on the lower part of the light switch it turned out real good. The plastic stuff turned out great too but the center thing with the spring is a tuffer task. Well, probably just tear a NOS one in pieces and use that one instead.

The rear end bumper was another thing. The under coating is hard so it will loosen up real easy I think. I will use some kind of scrambler. A machine with a bucket with some kind of stones. Then the surface will be the same as factory piece.

Had the luck to find a NOS throttle cable in Florida today. That means that I just need the insulator in the bracket and then is the accelerator parts completed.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

Finally my work with the body is done. What's left is the dash and the glove box door. Hasn't got the springs and pin for it yet. The school and teacher will do the rest. It's out of my competence.

Talked to the teacher at Liljaskolan not far from here and the teacher and his two classes will do the work on it. He also found the right paint so we do not need to use clear coat. Need to arrange the transport there too. It will take place next Friday if the weather is on my side!

But next Friday will start a new episode. Then I have the space to continue with the engine and transmission. Yihaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I want to thank all the FABO members for all the help I have got until this point. I'm so greatful.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

Thanks furydan!

Tonight the rear axle bumpers got a nice cleaning. They looks like new. The plates for the bumpers are in great shape. I just peels off same undercoating. I found out that the plates before they were added through the rubber bumper was in a special procedure. I'm not sure what it's cold but some one out there might know the name of it.

It's a special machine with a box full of small stones. Put in the steel plates and the machine shakes and take away all the rust, dirt, grades etc. See close on the picture.

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

Thanks for keeping us up to date on your progress and for the attention to detail. So many of the things you point out I have never paid any attention to. Interesting notes.

Thanks!!!

-
Back