1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Thanks Don and Keith!

Actually I didn't saw that I missed it until I took the pictures. So I will do that when I get back home. Thanks for keeping me on track.:glasses7:

The Pentastar that mounts to the rear on the right front fender seems to have two different mounting nut on the backside. This one and a larger one with a cupol head!! Not sure about the spellling. Sorry!

I'm not sure if 1965 was the last year with metal pentastar or not. Someone out there might know?

Attachments

• unnamed 5.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 588
  • unnamed 6.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 578
I haven't been able to locate NOS wiper arms but is this the way they looked from assembly line? I'm not sure but mine looks different!

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 587
  • $_57 1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 593
  • $_14.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 576
I'm doubting those wiper arms. Need to see a couple bigger/closer pics of the blade end.

As for the Pentastar, well, that's an interesting question.

US parts catalogues list as follows:
2445 182 in '63 (January '64 printing), '64 (September '65 printing) and '66 (March '67 printing)

2785 200 in '65 (March '66 printing, marked with footnote "Part not listed in any previous parts catalogue)

2785 540 in '67, '68, '69, '70, '71, and '72.

The '66 Canadian parts catalogue provides some clarity:
2445 182 MEDALLION, fender side Pentastar (Aluminum)
2785 540 MEDALLION, fender side Pentastar (Plastic)

But it doesn't clear up that one-year-only part number in '65! My own '65, which was built in Canada, had a metal Pentastar.

Are you going to paint the core support area behind the grille black? Body color looks so un-Mopar!

I knew a guy who worked on the assembly lines who had actually sprayed the black on core supports. He said it was one of the entry level jobs at the plant. He stood in a pit below the car and as the car went by he was to spray the core support with a pressure painter that had a wand like a weed sprayer. He said the spray pattern was very similar to a weed sprayer too, especially if the pressure was low, and he said it often was. Another interesting bit of information was that since this painting was a rather undesirable job, where paint fell down all over the person, if anyone called in sick one of the pit painters would gladly step up to the next available position, leaving additional work for the other pit painter. That is why some cars appear to only have a swipe or two of black on the core support. He also said if two people from the line called in sick it may have been feasible to have two pit painters upgrade to a different job and that would explain the fact that some cars seem to have never had the core support painted.

I knew a guy who worked on the assembly lines who had actually sprayed the black on core supports. He said it was one of the entry level jobs at the plant. He stood in a pit below the car and as the car went by he was to spray the core support with a pressure painter that had a wand like a weed sprayer. He said the spray pattern was very similar to a weed sprayer too, especially if the pressure was low, and he said it often was. Another interesting bit of information was that since this painting was a rather undesirable job, where paint fell down all over the person, if anyone called in sick one of the pit painters would gladly step up to the next available position, leaving additional work for the other pit painter. That is why some cars appear to only have a swipe or two of black on the core support. He also said if two people from the line called in sick it may have been feasible to have two pit painters upgrade to a different job and that would explain the fact that some cars seem to have never had the core support painted.

Thanks for the input grimreaper! Very interesting.

One question about ths painting procedure. Was the core support painted before the radiator and the horns was mounted? In my opinion no! The reason is simply that in the other case it would be to much overspray in the engine compartment. But I'm not sure!

I,m sure the black rad support would,ve been sprayed before rad,horns or engine would,ve been installed.

(Auto worker for 27 yrs):-D

Thanks for the input grimreaper! Very interesting.

One question about ths painting procedure. Was the core support painted before the radiator and the horns was mounted? In my opinion no! The reason is simply that in the other case it would be to much overspray in the engine compartment. But I'm not sure!

I believe that the core support area was sprayed before any of those items were installed. This is of course is a 72 Duster,but you can see in these pics of my untouched parts car that their is no over spray on the wiring,hood latch mechanism, or the sides of the radiator. my not be seen here but on this car you can tell that the lower grille support which is body color was on the car during the black out process. this car also shows that the car was about waist high and moved from side too side to create coverage. Pay attention to the lack of over spray on opposite sides of protrusions to get a feel for which direction it was sprayed.

Attachments

• rear end 340 car 004.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 511
  • rear end 340 car 006.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 538
  • rear end 340 car 003.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 551
  • rear end 340 car 002.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 552
  • rear end 340 car 001.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 538
Tim! That was a good comment on the procedure. I checked my car and it looks like the paint was applayed after the hors and the radiator was mounted to the radiator support.

I checked all the pictures I have and it seems that thath the paint was applayed after everything was mounted. There was no black paint under the washers on the screws for the horns. If you compare the radiator support from early a-bodies to 67 and up it seems that most stuff was mounted from inside our. That would make sense if paint was applayed before mounting different stuff.

Dan! Re the Pentastar, do you Think it would be some changes between 1964 and 1965? I can check when I get back home the difference between the years.

I would be surprised if there is a physical difference between the 2445 182 and the 2785 200. It is a little strange that they would use a different part number for one year and then change back to the previous part number, but it's not outside the normal range of strangeness in the Chrysler parts system. It might be interesting to see what earlier-printed versions of the US '65 factory parts catalogue say, and what the Canadian '65 book says.

Sure would like to know where you got those ... rubber moldings that go on each side above the rear bumper with the metal. I am trying to find a pair for my freshly painted 65 Dart GT.

Rog

Thanks guys! I'm gonna need it!

I couldn't believe that it would be so much fun just adding new stuff to a painted body. Except for the Olympics and showeling snow I been in the shop the whole weekend.

The headlamps that Dan (slantsixdan) was able to find for me looks super nice as well as the new grille and the headlight bezels.

The plastic plugs on the inner fender was trícky but after cleaning over 15 of them I found two that was mint!

The looking thing on the inside door opening looks good with new screws and all. But the NOS screws I bought on Ebay for 1965-1966 Dart was all wrong. That is the first time since 1996 that I have been screwed!

The hood and trunk mecanisms looks good in place. Will need to adjust them in position before tightening the bolts.

The rubber mouldings that goes on each side above the rear bumper will be mounted too. Can't just find the right screws. But the finish is right at least!

Knowing Ulf, I suspect they are NOS. My used ones look pretty crappy compared to his.

Sure would like to know where you got those ... rubber moldings that go on each side above the rear bumper with the metal. I am trying to find a pair for my freshly painted 65 Dart GT.

Rog

Don and Rog!

I have never seen these in NOS condition during my 34 years in early As. I glass beaded the metal and shipped the set to US so I could get the right finish, yellow dichromate. I have a nice set if you need. Just let me know.

Mounting of the front fender mouldings was a breeze. I checked my old Pentastar and it had the same small nut. After some work the star was there.

I searched someold boxes and tonight I found some NOS screws for the door locks. They even had the sealer on them!!

The front fender clips is mounted too but to my surprice I found pout that one is missing. Does anyone have one for sale?

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 534
  • 005.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 558
  • 004.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 542
  • 003.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 526
  • 002.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 542
  • 001.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 568
I believe that the core support area was sprayed before any of those items were installed. This is of course is a 72 Duster,but you can see in these pics of my untouched parts car that their is no over spray on the wiring,hood latch mechanism, or the sides of the radiator. my not be seen here but on this car you can tell that the lower grille support which is body color was on the car during the black out process. this car also shows that the car was about waist high and moved from side too side to create coverage. Pay attention to the lack of over spray on opposite sides of protrusions to get a feel for which direction it was sprayed.

Thanks Tim! I will copy the procedure tonight. I'll keep you updated on the progress.

Tonight I sprayed the core support and it turned out great. After that I added the horns and the plastic strips that holds the wiring harness in the engine compartment. I did the painting a Little sloppy just as they did at the assembly line.

I added the NOS GT emblem on the B-pillar post. It sure looks nice.

When I was on my way to mount the charging relay but I found out that it didn't had a date code on it. After some search on the internet I found the way the stamp should look like. But did they have date code on the relay back in 1964/1965?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 470
  • 005.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 446
  • 004.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 418
  • 003.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 437
  • 002.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 451
It hurts to suppress the urge for perfection, doesn't it!

So true Dan! I hurts but at least I know it's the way the assembly staff did it!

I started to fill the doors with some stuff. I really wonders if some judge would appriciate all the work that has been put down in parts, for example the upper window stop. Because no one would ever see it!

My buddy Johan helpedme to get the rear endon place. All the parking cables and the rear brake hose is connected. I even mounted the shocks.

While working on the drivers door I mounted the putside adjustable mirror. When I was to mount the nut and the adjuster I found out that there is a gap there when the nut is tightened. Does anyone know if something ismissing in this NOS kit!

The DART letters is placed on the body but I sure miss some of them! Any one having some for sale?

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 463
  • 004.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 452
  • 005.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 437
  • 009.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 466
  • 008.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 427
  • 003.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 455
  • 002.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 450
  • 001.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 453
'65 FPC shows the following:

2495 878 mirror package, left remote
2486 371 control, remote control mirror
6025 708 Nut, rear view mirror control, attaching

I'm assuming the 2nd number is included with the 1st. Maybe the 3rd is as well, but the book isn't clear. You may need to add a spacer ring between the control body and the door metal so as to 'shorten' the threads protruding into the driver's compartment and allow the cap nut to tighten with no gap.

no one would ever see it!

When, in the history of this project, has that ever stopped you?
redbeard.gif

'65 FPC shows the following:

2495 878 mirror package, left remote
2486 371 control, remote control mirror
6025 708 Nut, rear view mirror control, attaching

I'm assuming the 2nd number is included with the 1st. Maybe the 3rd is as well, but the book isn't clear. You may need to add a spacer ring between the control body and the door metal so as to 'shorten' the threads protruding into the driver's compartment and allow the cap nut to tighten with no gap.

When, in the history of this project, has that ever stopped you?
redbeard.gif

It might be possible to grind of some materialof the control body. That would help the nut going furter down! I will check into it tomorrow.

After making a small rubber gasket on the backside of the door frame I was able to mount the control body in place!

When working on the doors I tried to´search where to find the material in the U-channel. Does anyone know the English name for it and where it can be bought?

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 408
  • 001.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 405
  • 002.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 423
-
Back