1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Man that thing is looking great. Makes me wish I was around back in mid 64-65 to buy a new Dart Gt.

Kevin! Do you mean the upper of the two pictures? That's the one with the rachet control underneath the bumper jack! It would make sense to hold that jack in place with the spring and hold it in place in the hole in the jack.

Unfortunately this spring is the only one that I know of that's being repopped. Anyone else seing the 1965 spring?

I was able to mount the last seat tracks on the passenger seat when a question showed up. When the staff at the assembly line was going to mount the seats was the seat back mounted to the seat at that time? Reason for asking is that it would be way easier to mount the seat without the seatback.

Next question is which way the seat springs should be mounted? The ones on my convertible is broken so I have nothing to compare with!:banghead:

Ulf, I believe the jack should be mounted with the hook below the mast, not above it. The spring you're showing is the correct one. In order of assembly, the spring goes on the jack handle, the jack handle tip is inserted through the loop on the floor and the lug wrench end nests in the formed bracket at the rear. The ratchet on the mast needs to be near the bottom of the mast. Mount the mast on the bracket by the decklid hinge and the lower end nested into the bracket at the rear with the lug wrench end of the jack handle,. The free end of the spring now hooks into the base of the ratchet where that loose spring is wound (the spring serves to help hold the hook in place on the ratchet.) The hook of this little spring should probably face the front of the car. Flip the lever on the ratchet itself to allow you to operate the handle on the ratchet where the jack handle would go when you're lifting the car. Keep doing this until you have enough tension in that little spring to hold everything securely in position.

As for the seats, I'm virtually certain that the seats were installed as a complete assembly. The seat back would have been laid over the cushion, picked up from below by the front and back of the cushion and dropped into the holes in the floor pan.

Ulf, I believe the jack should be mounted with the hook below the mast, not above it. The spring you're showing is the correct one. In order of assembly, the spring goes on the jack handle, the jack handle tip is inserted through the loop on the floor and the lug wrench end nests in the formed bracket at the rear. The ratchet on the mast needs to be near the bottom of the mast. Mount the mast on the bracket by the decklid hinge and the lower end nested into the bracket at the rear with the lug wrench end of the jack handle,. The free end of the spring now hooks into the base of the ratchet where that loose spring is wound (the spring serves to help hold the hook in place on the ratchet.) The hook of this little spring should probably face the front of the car. Flip the lever on the ratchet itself to allow you to operate the handle on the ratchet where the jack handle would go when you're lifting the car. Keep doing this until you have enough tension in that little spring to hold everything securely in position.

As for the seats, I'm virtually certain that the seats were installed as a complete assembly. The seat back would have been laid over the cushion, picked up from below by the front and back of the cushion and dropped into the holes in the floor pan.

Thanks Rocketdude! If you buy a new 65 I will follow you!

Kevin! I will order the spring and try out which way it should mount. But I agree with what you say. Wasn't there a magazine that did car tests that took a picture of the trunk? People wanted to know how much luggage you could carry in your car. There should be some pictures out there. But thanks Kevin sharing your knowledge.

Re the seats you are probably right. Started to assemble the seat backs tonight. Pictures tomorrow.

One of the worst thing's on restoring a car is my total worthless skills of welding. My friend Johan gave me a hand so the door for the air duct got done. Now I can concentrate on glass beading and sanding the surface before paint!

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 561
  • 018.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 570
Thanks for the pictures! That was for sure alot of help. I wonder how the spring looks like? Is it the 1965 one or the one from 1966?

I will pull the spring and take a close up when I get home from work today. To the best of my knowledge the spring is 1965 as it came with the car.

Keep up the great work Ulf!

Cheers
Roger

I will pull the spring and take a close up when I get home from work today. To the best of my knowledge the spring is 1965 as it came with the car.

Keep up the great work Ulf!

Cheers
Roger

Thanks Roger!

I assembled the chrome trim on the seat back tonight. I had to bring up an old one so I could find the screw holes for it. The seat back chrome was in excellent shape. Dala Krom did a great job.

Two tools was all it take. One Phillip screwdriver and one dentist tool to find the holes!!!!

After somework they was in place on the drivers seat. The bolt that holds the seat back and the seat bottom is something special. It has a stainless steel cap on the bolt!! I have never known this before so I haven't paid so much attention to this.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 548
  • 005.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 531
  • 004.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 539
  • 003.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 524
  • 001.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 543
  • 002.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 540
Thanks for the pictures! That was for sure alot of help. I wonder how the spring looks like? Is it the 1965 one or the one from 1966?

Here are a couple of pics I took last night of the spring, hope it helps you id as 65 or 66.
I have also included a couple of pics of the certicart mounted on the inside of the glovebox door in my 65

Cheers

Attachments

• Certi-Card_2_2014-08-18 17.26.04.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 513
  • Certi-Card_1_2014-08-18 17.26.12.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 503
  • Jack_Spring_2_2014-08-18 19.04.36.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 492
  • Jack_Spring_1_2014-08-18 19.04.49.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 520
Here are a couple of pics I took last night of the spring, hope it helps you id as 65 or 66.
I have also included a couple of pics of the certicart mounted on the inside of the glovebox door in my 65

Cheers

In the second picture, I believe the loop on the right side of the photo goes around the jack handle and the loop & finger on the left side goes into the ratchet on the mast.

In the second picture, I believe the loop on the right side of the photo goes around the jack handle and the loop & finger on the left side goes into the ratchet on the mast.

What I know of the only different between a 65 and a 66 spring is the way it attach to the jack. The lowerbloop wss the same aroung the bar. Can the old style spring been used with the 64 and 65 jacks but somewhere during 65 production they changrd?

This card on the inside of the glove box door, are those rivets repopped somewhere? I've never seen nos ones!

What I know of the only different between a 65 and a 66 spring is the way it attach to the jack. The lowerbloop wss the same aroung the bar. Can the old style spring been used with the 64 and 65 jacks but somewhere during 65 production they changrd?

This card on the inside of the glove box door, are those rivets repopped somewhere? I've never seen nos ones!

Entirely possible there was a running change. It would likely have been "use old stock until exhausted". The improvement of the later spring with the full coil at the bottom for the jack handle is that it couldn't slip off, which I believe was more than a possibility with the style in the pictures.

If the spring is even listed in the parts catalogue, it would be interesting to (a) see if the same part number shows up in '65 as in '66, and (b) if the numbers are different, if the '65 number supersedes to the '66 number.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that Chrysler wouldn't have cared other than knowing that the later style was an improvement over the original release.

Entirely possible there was a running change. It would likely have been "use old stock until exhausted". The improvement of the later spring with the full coil at the bottom for the jack handle is that it couldn't slip off, which I believe was more than a possibility with the style in the pictures.

If the spring is even listed in the parts catalogue, it would be interesting to (a) see if the same part number shows up in '65 as in '66, and (b) if the numbers are different, if the '65 number supersedes to the '66 number.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that Chrysler wouldn't have cared other than knowing that the later style was an improvement over the original release.

Kevin!

I think you have a point there! They probably just changed the spring during production year without any notice. Sometimes if there wasn't such a big difference parts were changed without notice to assembly personell as well as dealers.

I checked the partsbook and the spring is not listed in section 13 - 72 Bumper jack. First Picture showing the 1964 partsbook. The bumper jack was one unit for Valiant and Dart. The bar was the same also. For 1965 there was the 1964 model for Valiant and the Dart had a separate one. They have also added the hook with a special partsnumber. Finally the base and the bumper jack was avaible as a set. I don't have a August or September or January parts book edition so I cannot tell when the change was made. Any one out there that has an early 1965 partsbook that can check this up?

I was going to install the spring that goes between each seat track so when you adjust your seat both tracks moves. However it seems that the springs might be different between the drivers seat and the passenger seat. It seems that the spring should be longer on the passenger seat!! My seats didn't have a spring on the passenger side and my convertible doesn't either!!:banghead:

The reason I'm wonder is that the spring should be routed through a adjustable hook so both sides operates at the same time.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 486
  • 004.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 477
  • 001.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 482
  • 002.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 484
Kevin!

I think you have a point there! They probably just changed the spring during production year without any notice. Sometimes if there wasn't such a big difference parts were changed without notice to assembly personell as well as dealers.

I checked the partsbook and the spring is not listed in section 13 - 72 Bumper jack. First Picture showing the 1964 partsbook. The bumper jack was one unit for Valiant and Dart. The bar was the same also. For 1965 there was the 1964 model for Valiant and the Dart had a separate one. They have also added the hook with a special partsnumber. Finally the base and the bumper jack was avaible as a set. I don't have a August or September or January parts book edition so I cannot tell when the change was made. Any one out there that has an early 1965 partsbook that can check this up?

I was going to install the spring that goes between each seat track so when you adjust your seat both tracks moves. However it seems that the springs might be different between the drivers seat and the passenger seat. It seems that the spring should be longer on the passenger seat!! My seats didn't have a spring on the passenger side and my convertible doesn't either!!:banghead:

The reason I'm wonder is that the spring should be routed through a adjustable hook so both sides operates at the same time.

Yes, both latches would have to disengage at the same time, otherwise the movable part of the seat frame would just twist on the lower fixed portion. Would that wire connecting both seat track latches not go through that hook at the near side (looking at the picture) of the seat frame? That hook appears to be threaded, so that is likely where the adjustment on the tension is.

Yes, both latches would have to disengage at the same time, otherwise the movable part of the seat frame would just twist on the lower fixed portion. Would that wire connecting both seat track latches not go through that hook at the near side (looking at the picture) of the seat frame? That hook appears to be threaded, so that is likely where the adjustment on the tension is.

Mystery solved. My brother-in-law had one on his car. He did a replice for his car so I could use this one. Thanks Mike!

This metal piece is lead-zinc coated. The same finish as the transmission cover. I cleaned it the best I can because I know the finish cannot be redone!

As you said Kevin the bracket or what you call it holds the wire to the hook. 2 minutes and the thing was taken care of!! :happy1:

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 464
  • 001.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 461
The pre-assembly of the passenger seat took place tonight. The chromed cover was added and mounted with silver zinc nuts as well as the center bolts for the seat back included the black phosphated locking cap.

Now the first seat is ready for mounting inside the car!:eek:ops:

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 446
  • 008.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 431
  • 007.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 417
  • 006.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 421
  • 005.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 431
  • 004.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 438
  • 002.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 448
  • 001.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 458
Damn, that looks good !

I think too!

Yesterday a small package showed up at the post office. The cone showed up for the front brake drums. Now the problem is to know which way the seal should be mounted???:banghead:

Should the outer ring be towards the bearing or the brake shield?

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 408
  • 002.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 407
  • 001.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 417
Today I got a package I have been waiting for. Don (65 dartman) sold me a NOS shifter rod from a not-gated 65 automatic shifter. The shifter rod is in mint condition. Tomorrow the assembly of the shifter mecanism can take place! Johan will start on the big rivets too for the shifter.

I was able to find bumper bolts that matches the factory ones exactly. They was produced by Auveco. I think Dan (slantsixdan) and Kevin (kmccabe56) told me they were the only one in business that has factory stuff and they were right! The bolt looks great. With Dons help I was able to get them. (They didn't sold them overseas. Those bolts came in the package too so tonight I was able to mount all the bumper brackets correct. I even had the washers black phosphated as they once were too!

Tomorrow I will go see a company that has the washers for the bumper bracket to body bolts. Then the fun starts....!

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 373
  • 003.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 355
  • 002.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 376
  • 001.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 374
  • 006.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 354
  • 005.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 384
The shifter mecanism has a lot of greasing Points to keep up with. The plastic "sliders" was in good shape so I could reuse the old ones with great result. Now everyting is inplace. The only thing missing is the rivets that Johan is doing. I vent by his shop today and the result for the first one was excellent. We did a try with the first one and the rivet was about 3/4 instead of 7/8. It was a little too short. He continue to do a 7/8 rivet instead.

However we did a try and with the tool he did it worked perfect. Hopefully on Thursday the shifter will be ready. I need to get into that adjustment thing on the left side. I think it's for the parking brake.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 364
  • 003.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 347
  • 002.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 367
  • 001.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 363
Through Don (65 dartman) I was able to buy a NOS instrument cluster in mint condition. Produced in US, sold to Iceland, bought to US by Don and finally ended up in Sweden! International instrument cluster!!

Through that purchase I got NOS bulb holder or what you call them. Even NOS lamp in them too. But unfortunately some of them was dead. But thanks to Dan (slantsixdan) I was able to replace them so now they are ready to bo mounted. Plan is to test the electrical system this upcoming weekend!!

It will be a killer to see if everything work!:cheers:

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 328
  • 006.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 323
  • 007.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 347
This is the way the rivets looked like after stamped them. The new rivets is exactly how they came from the beginning. The one inthe middle is the one we have used.

I hold it all together and Johan hit the hammer! It turned out great. Then I assemble the spring and ball holding the shifter cam in place.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 328
  • 001.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 314
  • 004.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 325
  • 002.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 309
  • 003.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 316
  • 005.jpg