1967 Barracuda 383 4spd: anyone knows car /seller? (ebay)

-

TobiasM

Reaction score
Dear FABO-community,

more and more often I can only wonder: recently there was a 67 Barracuda 383 4spd for sale on ebay (item#294591863120) that I was seriously interested in but NO reactions by the seller.

As the car was a project and very rusty undercarriage was stated, I asked questions even prior to placing any bid:

- 1st I asked to doublecheck the VIN stated in the ebay-auction and to state the correct VIN, as it was was apparently wrong (starting with “RH” instead of “BH”). Due to the wrong-stated VIN there would be a legal issue if I placed any bid, as a car (or this specific car) does not exist with the wrong-stated VIN.

- 2nd I asked for pictures of the severe rust, as the pics in the add did not show the rusty areas

Result: NONE / NO / ZERO / NADA reply.

Whilst the auction was still running, I sent the seller a reminding message - with same result.

Due to his behaviour I did not place ANY bid.

After the auction ended, I send a 3rd message to let the seller know he really let slip money through his hands, as I was willing to bid more than the car sold for - result: no reaction!

Anyone an idea what’s going on in the heads of those kind of sellers?

Should I have mentioned I am a FABO-member, so he knew I am an enthusiast?

Though my rule of thumb is “don’t look back in anger” I have to admit that I am a bid annoyed, both by behavior of the seller and because I would have liked to own that specific car.

But maybe someone here knows that car / the seller or even is the auction-winner and everything is right just the way it happened.

What are your thoughts, gentlemen? Anyone similar experiences when being a serious buyer for a car?

Thank you FABO!

4CEFB70E-8F7F-458D-9627-4ECBB6348B2E.jpeg

960F4CE2-7F92-4F0C-BE8B-88B6517612F4.jpeg

A62738F2-DBF7-4E25-BABF-2B886324876E.jpeg

D3CC1EFB-39E4-4572-A2DD-3A161DA9EEA5.jpeg

122F695F-4D26-4608-A13B-397C6E64568D.jpeg

1751C1F8-A893-41B1-BFCA-C4FC017C69F3.jpeg

0DADA601-F7CB-433F-8D0A-E6FC9BBCE1F6.png

62AC9EFE-E80E-48D5-9C7E-F2E341CAA267.png

Scammy folks are only interested in green backs.

Yeah, when the emblem says 383 and the description says 440, that should be a red flag to even Stevie Wonder.

Looks to be a legit 383 4-speed Formula S, I have three of them. The VIN looks like BH29 to me, some people need glasses...

Yeah, when the emblem says 383 and the description says 440, that should be a red flag to even Stevie Wonder.

The description states it has a 440 in it. Original engine gone.

May have been a well optioned car. Headrests ( pretty rare option), bumper guards.

More of a project than I would want to take on. To me it looks like the only useful thing one would get for the approximately $4,000 is a fender tag that stated the car originally was a 383 car.

We’ll see how it is in a few weeks. My buddy bought it and is having it shipped. He already knows it’ll need rust repair.

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts on that seller-car-combo.

Yes, it is a 383 Formula S 4spd. from factory, as by the fendertag. Seller did not show a VIN-tag-photo unfortunately, though I asked him for.

That the VIN stated in the auction is the exact VIN of the auctioned car is crutial to me, as otherwise I would have legal/law-problems, starting with export-department in the U.S. and ends with import-department here in Gemany.

Correct, that the #-matching-383engine was MIA and instead a 440 was fitted was clear to me, cause stated in the description.

@Commando66 : great to hear this car found a new home at least in reach of FABO. Best of luck to him with that Barracuda. Maybe your buddy wants to chime in? Would really appreciate to know how good/bad the car is. If preferred, feel free to PM me.

Looks to be a legit 383 4-speed Formula S, I have three of them. The VIN looks like BH29 to me, some people need glasses...

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts on that seller-car-combo.

Yes, it is a 383 Formula S 4spd. from factory, as by the fendertag. Seller did not show a VIN-tag-photo unfortunately, though I asked him for.

That the VIN stated in the auction is the exact VIN of the auctioned car is crutial to me, as otherwise I would have legal/law-problems, starting with export-department in the U.S. and ends with import-department here in Gemany.

Correct, that the #-matching-383engine was MIA and instead a 440 was fitted was clear to me, cause stated in the description.

@Commando66 : great to hear this car found a new home at least in reach of FABO. Best of luck to him with that Barracuda. Maybe your buddy wants to chime in? Would really appreciate to know how good/bad the car is. If preferred, feel free to PM me.

It also had a Rarely seen Full Vinyl top that was dealer or ??? installed!

My 1969 FB wore one at some time in its past! I still have all the trim and pieces!

IMG_4526%20(Custom).JPG

IMG_4587%20(Custom).JPG

IMG_0207.JPG

IMGP1268.JPG

-
Back