1967 Cuda FB project

-
Started mocking up the front suspension. Started on 2" square tubing k-frame. Waiting for diagonal 4-link parts to show up so I can mock up rear end.
Got some 16 gauge sheet metal to fab up a custom gas tank. Might start on that tomorrow. 22" wide by 32" long by 8" deep. That should be plenty big enuff. :D

Have some pics tomorrow!!!:blob:

Tigged up the bottom of the gas tank. Not overly pretty, but functional. I will do a little clean up with the grinder. Going to put a baffle grid in it. I think I will powder coat the outside of it. Anybody know of any good product to use on the inside for rust prevention?
View attachment WP_20150101_006.jpg

View attachment WP_20150101_007.jpg

View attachment WP_20150101_008.jpg
It will rest on the frame rails ala 60's mustang.

I should be getting the triangulated 4 link set up parts tomorrow.:blob:

I ordered some of that !!!

Also spent some time working on the gas tank. Made some swinging flaps for the sump section. Bought some cheap small hinges and pop riveted them on. One on each side of the box. Hopefully it will work for keeping the fuel pump submersed in fuel during "spirited driving" mode. lol
View attachment WP_20150103_002.jpg

View attachment WP_20150103_001.jpg

View attachment WP_20150103_006.jpg
I cut a hole in the center of the top above the sump area. It's 16 gauge sheet metal so I made another piece for thicker area where it's going to screw together. Then welded it on the bottom side of the top.
View attachment WP_20150103_003.jpg

View attachment WP_20150103_004.jpg
Then I took some 3/8" aluminum and made a top plate for the fuel pump assy. Drilled and tapped the top of the tank for 10/24 SS screws and test fit. I will tig nuts on the bottom side of the top just for added thread area.
View attachment WP_20150103_007.jpg

View attachment WP_20150103_010.jpg
Next is to weld in a filler tube to line up with the stock fill tube.

Looking good. I am not to sure of putting the gas tank right in front of the rear bumper. Have you thought about putting a bladder in the tank like a fuel cell?

Looking good. I am not to sure of putting the gas tank right in front of the rear bumper. Have you thought about putting a bladder in the tank like a fuel cell?

Not any different than the wifes 68 RR, that tank is right behind the bumper too. The metal on my tank is thicker than the paper thin tanks on stockers. So, I am actually safer. :D
Besides, if my number is up, it doesn't matter where I put the tank. lol

Fit the tank between the frame rails this morning. Took some pics to show how it fits. Was worried might have made it too deep. Sits a lot higher than the center of car. :D I like how it sits. Roughly 22 gallons from quick figuring. Nice amount. I just have to finish the inside and weld in filler tube. Then I can coat the inside and weld the top on.
View attachment WP_20150104_006.jpg
View attachment WP_20150104_005.jpg
View attachment WP_20150104_002.jpg
View attachment WP_20150104_001.jpg
Then I mocked up location of engine so I could redo the floor for fitment of the T-56.
View attachment WP_20150104_003.jpg
View attachment WP_20150104_004.jpg
Looking at the engine in there is getting me antsy!!!!!!!!!!!!:blob:

SNKEBIT you have to take some of the blame for this! View attachment wheelwell 053.jpg

View attachment wheelwell 056.jpg :blob: LOL See your work got me moving on my 67. I may have bit off more than I can chew. The right wheelwell had old accident damage and rust. So I removed both inner and outer to replace with AMD replacements. I wish I knew what was involved. I would have cut damage sections and patched them. To late now! The new inner fits well but the outer is a little long and shaped wrong on the back edge. I think a little trim and hammer and dollie work and we will be good. Keep posting your pics to keep prodding me along. Thanks Bill :)

LMAO!!!! It looks daunting, but once you get into it, it goes pretty well. Measure 15 times, then cut. Measure 25 times, then weld. lol Sometimes you have to go backwards to get forward movement. It works out in the end. Just take your time.:coffee2:

I once had somebody ask me how I could hack up a car like this. I responded with "it's just sheet metal, if I screw up, just grab another piece of metal and do it over". You just have to tell yourself, "It's just sheet metal". :cheers:

67cudafb, I'll take 18% of the blame, the rest is on you, buddy. You had the saw in "your hand".

67cudafb, I'll take 18% of the blame, the rest is on you, buddy. You had the saw in "your hand" Started with saw but frustration trying to drill spot welds on outer brackets brought out the PLASMA! :toothy1: All good though. Slight problem with replacement AMD replacement is trailing edge is a little long and wrong shape. Little massaging and hammer and dollie and it will go. Mine is a little slow going as I am a beat up old man. Your build keeps the fire going though. Keep pics coming. Thanks Bill :D

67cudafb, I'll take 18% of the blame, the rest is on you, buddy. You had the saw in "your hand" Started with saw but frustration trying to drill spot welds on outer brackets brought out the PLASMA! :toothy1: All good though. Slight problem with replacement AMD replacement is trailing edge is a little long and wrong shape. Little massaging and hammer and dollie and it will go. Mine is a little slow going as I am a beat up old man. Your build keeps the fire going though. Keep pics coming. Thanks Bill :D

I am 55 and really beat up. Back problems, both knees replaced, busted ankle years ago. It's all catching up to me a lot. :protest:

I am working on my car a little. Doing a lot of collecting parts and pieces, just haven't taken any pics lately. Really nothing noteworthy, just mundane stuff. Have to keep trudging on. Every little bit is one step closer. :blob:

Fit the tank between the frame rails this morning. Took some pics to show how it fits. Was worried might have made it too deep. Sits a lot higher than the center of car. :D I like how it sits. Roughly 22 gallons from quick figuring. Nice amount. I just have to finish the inside and weld in filler tube. Then I can coat the inside and weld the top on.
View attachment 1714782052
View attachment 1714782053
View attachment 1714782054
View attachment 1714782055
Then I mocked up location of engine so I could redo the floor for fitment of the T-56.
View attachment 1714782056
View attachment 1714782057
Looking at the engine in there is getting me antsy!!!!!!!!!!!!:blob:

Seeing the hole in your floor just makes me even more ashamed of what sits under my carpet after my T56 swap. I have no metal working tools aside from the hands attached at the ends of my arms. For the most part I just used my knee and thigh as a buck to bend a flat piece around into something that could possibly be described as a "tunnel". I roughly set it over the hole and stood there, welder in hand, then decided my welding skills weren't going to cut it. Bought some structural adhesive and glued/riveted the thing in there. Still looks hideous, but seems solid and carpet covers it, so luckily nobody will see it. I'm anxious to see what artwork you come up with to cover the hole.

I also only wish I had the space you have. My 67 Dart build has largely been performed in the driveway and only very occasionally in a garage when it was nice enough out I could convince my parents to leave one of their cars out for a day or two.

I also only wish I had the space you have. My 67 Dart build has largely been performed in the driveway and only very occasionally in a garage when it was nice enough out I could convince my parents to leave one of their cars out for a day or two.

I remember those days....... Had a 73 Dart with a 318 back in the day. Had to change a starter out in feb when it was about 10 below and really windy out in the street. Took me all day, could only work for about a minute before hands were frozen. Go in house, warm up, repeat. All freeeeeekin day.:protest:

I am 55 and really beat up. Back problems, both knees replaced, busted ankle years ago. It's all catching up to me a lot.

:crybaby::crybaby:Oh c'mon now. You know as well as I do that part of what keeps you going on is the gearhead inside of you. You may tell your wife that she's the light of your life but without the toys in the garage... LOL! - Hope you keep a step ahead of the aches & pains.

:crybaby::crybaby:Oh c'mon now. You know as well as I do that part of what keeps you going on is the gearhead inside of you. You may tell your wife that she's the light of your life but without the toys in the garage... LOL! - Hope you keep a step ahead of the aches & pains.

lol I work through the pain. Has become a way of life after 25+ years of dealing with it.
My pain threshold is a lot higher than 99% of people out there. :cheers:

-
Back