1967 Cuda FB project

-
One little mistake and you'd throw me under the bus???? WWAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

I thought we were buddies.:finga:

:D

Nah, I wouldn't do that but I'm sure hoping the rest of the mods shape up like the previous. Over the years I've seen a lot of really cool cars that have at least one thing done to them that detracts them from perfection. So far I've got to hand it to ya. I think you're nailing it.

Mitch, I was just kidding when I said Chop it! I think it looks great.

Leave it too, John to to come up with something funny like Hello Kitty paint theme. I guess as long as you had some Lime Green in it. LOL.

Tonight I cut the rest down. I took some pics. The back I decided to do a "pie-shaped" cut around the back window. The 2" cut on the a pillar actually became about 1&1/2" when at an angle. I took out about 1&1/8" from the c pillar. Didn't want to go overboard on "laying the window down". Got a little more minor trimming to do and it should be good to go.
Actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Now to get the glass out and resize the front and rear window openings for the "flush mount look".

I need to get some door glass from a 73 up dart for the doors. Get rid of the window vents.
View attachment WP_20150918_002.jpg

View attachment WP_20150918_003.jpg
This is after the pie cut section is out. Dropped about 1&1/8"
View attachment WP_20150918_009.jpg

View attachment WP_20150918_008.jpg

View attachment WP_20150918_004.jpg

View attachment WP_20150918_007.jpg

View attachment WP_20150918_005.jpg

View attachment WP_20150918_010.jpg
It's only about 1&1/2" but it really made the look awesome. I can't believe that little 1&1/2" looks soooo much better. Unbelievable. I will do this again!!
View attachment WP_20150918_011.jpg

Saw the whole thing, dude. First you were all like "whoa", and we were like "whoa", and you were like "whoa..."

At first I was skeptical on the hood, and not so sure about it, and then the bumper... and then it took shape, and I was not so sure on the roof... and it came out perfect.

I am subscribed... I did not like the hood at first, then I kind of liked the way it looked with the bumper, and now, with the roof dropped it just magically all meshed.

I Love it.

Now you have me wondering what you will do with the back of the car.

My car is a simple resto mod... nothing too exciting.

Fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker , I am the roller.
I am the out of controller.

Can't wait for more.

Thanks guys!!! I'm glad it turned out alright or John would dis-own me. :D

I am really happy with the look. Now I just need to finish the back and do a shitload of welding/grinding.

:burnout:

Went out this morning and started making the "fill" pieces from the salvaged Cuda roof. Did some measuring and cutting. I decided to use the overlap method because my cuts couldn't be as exact as I would need to butt weld a long stretch. Plus, it makes it stronger and less "pop-can" effect.
View attachment WP_20150919_001.jpg

View attachment WP_20150919_002.jpg
Cut out a section of side rail and blasted it. Finished sizing with the grinder to get a nice fit and welded it in to the front section. I left the back section loose for now as I still have to manipulate that section a tad bit.
View attachment WP_20150919_004.jpg

View attachment WP_20150919_006.jpg
Used a flanging tool to get the flange in the filler piece.
View attachment WP_20150919_005.jpg

This is as far as I got before I had to rescue a friends car in the cities and burned up the rest of the day picking it up.

Worked on the Cuda this morning. Got the dr side pieces cut from the donor roof. Then cut all the welds fro the rear roof reinforcement. Wanted that piece for the correct curve of the back window opening after I split the factory roof. It is long enough to just slide a little bit from where it was originally welded. Giving me the additional width I needed when the roof pieces move outboard.
View attachment WP_20150920_001.jpg

View attachment WP_20150920_002.jpg

View attachment WP_20150920_003.jpg
OMG!!! There's a targa Cuda in my shop!!
View attachment WP_20150920_004.jpg

View attachment WP_20150920_006.jpg
Removing the rear roof brace in the two pieces from my roof.
View attachment WP_20150920_007.jpg

View attachment WP_20150920_008.jpg
Full length brace from donor roof cleaned up and ready to weld back into roof halves.
View attachment WP_20150920_009.jpg

Worked on the Cuda this morning. Got the dr side pieces cut from the donor roof. Then cut all the welds fro the rear roof reinforcement. Wanted that piece for the correct curve of the back window opening after I split the factory roof. It is long enough to just slide a little bit from where it was originally welded. Giving me the additional width I needed when the roof pieces move outboard.
View attachment 1714844590

View attachment 1714844591

View attachment 1714844592
OMG!!! There's a targa Cuda in my shop!!
View attachment 1714844593

View attachment 1714844594
Removing the rear roof brace in the two pieces from my roof.
View attachment 1714844595

View attachment 1714844596
Full length brace from donor roof cleaned up and ready to weld back into roof halves.
View attachment 1714844597

You're doing some very nice work on this car I know how time consuming it can be. My question.... Is there a reason you didn't weld a bar between the B-pillars to keep the sides of the car from spreading??" I see the bars between the A and B pillars but nothing between the B-pillars themselves.

Keep up the GREAT WORK!!!
Treblig

You're doing some very nice work on this car I know how time consuming it can be. My question.... Is there a reason you didn't weld a bar between the B-pillars to keep the sides of the car from spreading??" I see the bars between the A and B pillars but nothing between the B-pillars themselves.

Keep up the GREAT WORK!!!
Treblig

I have another complete car sitting here for measurements. There is a really beefy brace inside the b pillar welded to the wheel well. I was waiting for something to move when I cut the roof, but nothing moved. Most times, cutting a roof, you get pinching/moving, etc., not this one. LOL I have measurements to make sure they are in the right spot!!

Got the roof mostly back together after making numerous pieces of it. :D Still have a lot of welding and grinding to do to get it all together. Actually the whole process this far went really well. I've chopped a lot of cars, 30's-50's, but never ventured into the "modern" area. Very pleased with the outcome. A couple guys said "at least 3 inches", glad I didn't do that. I think it would have been too much. The little bit I did will make people look at it and try to figure out wtf is wrong with this car??? :glasses7:
View attachment WP_20150920_012.jpg

View attachment WP_20150920_013.jpg
This side view really looks awesome. The greenhouse is just the right size. The car is looking "long and mean", not so much like a stubby A-body anymore.
View attachment WP_20150920_015.jpg

View attachment WP_20150920_016.jpg

View attachment WP_20150920_018.jpg
Sorry about the dark pics, didn't turn flash on.
View attachment WP_20150920_019.jpg

View attachment WP_20150920_024.jpg

Hope you guys like it!!

I keep stareing at the side profile. And I am seeing
4 slant cut exhaust tips nudged out of the lower body in front
of the rear wheels. Some sort of civil attemt at a kind of zoomie or something?
Its got an old funnycar look going on.

That's freekin' bad ***.. I didn't read/know you have done top chops ,before. That's one of the best /most involved modifications ever. Never done one, this looks a bit more involved than a '32 Ford "getting a hair cut".

I am seeing
4 slant cut exhaust tips nudged out of the lower body in front
of the rear wheels. .

OMG!!! I was thinking the same thing! Had that on an old 71 Satellite I had, loved those pipes. But, I already fabbed my exhaust for this, 1, and I like the look of the tips out the back with the cutouts in the bumper, 2. :D
Oh, and no room for "decent" muffs under the pass compartment. :protest:

That's freekin' bad ***.. I didn't read/know you have done top chops ,before. That's one of the best /most involved modifications ever. Never done one, this looks a bit more involved than a '32 Ford "getting a hair cut".

LOL A32 Ferd is easy compared to this. :glasses7:

Did some welding and grinding after supper. Welded up the b pillars where I sectioned them. Ground them down, ready for some duraglass now. Also welded up the a pillars and ground them down. Need someone to help me with the roof center sections so it ends up with the right curve to it.
View attachment WP_20150921_014.jpg

View attachment WP_20150921_015.jpg

View attachment WP_20150921_017.jpg

View attachment WP_20150921_018.jpg

View attachment WP_20150921_019.jpg

More in the morning. :cheers: :glasses7:

Damn,that tall roofline (stock fastback Cuda), is why I always prefer the notch back. This looks like it should have been,in my opinion.

It'll be interesting to see your car (when it's finished) parked next to an unmodified fastback. Hopefully there's someone nearby that will volunteer for a photo op.

Worked a little on the roof tonight. Got a piece of center filler in the rear portion. Braced it up from the inside to get the right curve to the roof. Welded the inner brace across the windshield opening on the inside so I could get all the clamps off to use in the back window opening.
View attachment WP_20150924_004.jpg

View attachment WP_20150924_003.jpg
Also cut some of the donor roof to make the back window opening smaller. In the morning, I will weld up the inner brace for the back window and then start on the opening resizing to flush mount the glass. :glasses7:

-
Back