1967 Cuda FB project

-
I gotta hand it to ya SNKEBIT, it's looking way way cooler than I'd have thought it was going to. The car's got an awesome stance with that chop.

I've seen a bunch of cool fastbacks before but yours is looking abso-@$#%ing-lutely amazing. The mods are subtle and flow well. That having been said,
I still think the front valance needs to be trimmed a bit more.

I agree with 1967 cuda.....the body mods are spot on, I'd like to see a full side view of the car....from those images I too think the front valance may need some more trimming, looks just a little bulky...but that's splitting hairs and you're the man with it in front of him not me...I like it just the same!!

I am not done trimming the valance. It still needs some shaping here and there. The sides will definitely be more shaved off the bottom edge.

I'm like John, hop around all over the place and leave things not quite done, then off to the next mod. LOL :finga: J/K

My ADD jonesin" for the next mod gets me behind. lol

I agree with you about the height (top to bottom width) of the bumper, it should be shorter (top to bottom). The bottom edge is too low, if it was raised up higher it would complement the shorter body. If you want it to look proportional to the shorter body the bumper should be shorter (not hanging down so low) . But that's just me opinion!! Otherwise the car's looking "KILLER!!!
KUDOS on all the fantastic work!!!
treblig

Crap!!! Never looked at that angle thoroughly. I don't know how much I can take off before loosing my bottom vent and fog lights. I will study that closer. I agree, a little too low for proportions. Maybe add an inch or two of side skirt mod of some sort? If the rocker area was an inch or so deeper, it would blend better?
Ideas? :violent1:
From the front it looks really good. I hate to loose that effect. A little wider in the rocker area would look alright and would also give it a "lower" look, which I am kinda going for.
Maybe a little off the front and add a little to the sides. :glasses7:

More mods......................... never ends. :D

EDIT:::: Looking back at the pics, I think my idea is the way to go. A little off the bumper, add a little to the rocker. Plus, it will cover/get rid of, the ugly pinch weld on the bottom of the rockers.
It will also add to the "what the hell is wrong with this car?" theme from lookers. :D

I don't think anyone would criticize the car if it was done. Overall, it's almost impossible to fault any of the choices you've made. The front air dam & sunken driving lights are a great touch. - But right now I'd say that front end is just 'not quite' right. If you add material to the rockers and the bottoms of the rear of the front fenders it might work but it might also tend to 'fatten up' the lean look you've already gotten. Is it possible to move your front valance up and in?

Crap!!! Never looked at that angle thoroughly. I don't know how much I can take off before loosing my bottom vent and fog lights. I will study that closer. I agree, a little too low for proportions. Maybe add an inch or two of side skirt mod of some sort? If the rocker area was an inch or so deeper, it would blend better?
From the front it looks really good. I hate to loose that effect. A little wider in the rocker area would look alright and would also give it a "lower" look, which I am kinda going for.

EDIT:::: Looking back at the pics, I think my idea is the way to go. A little off the bumper, add a little to the rocker. Plus, it will cover/get rid of, the ugly pinch weld on the bottom of the rockers.
It will also add to the "what the hell is wrong with this car?" theme from lookers. :D

Please don't get me wrong!! You're doing an excellent job. The only issue I have is when you look at the whole car from the side. The lower rear end of the rear panels are much higher than the lower part of the front bumper (looking at it from the side). Your work is really excellent so my critique must be taken with a grain of salt. I have also made major modifications to car bodies and I realize that it's difficult to make major changes when you're getting close to the finish line. I think that the design of the front bumper is really, really nice. Typically when a car is designed the lower edge of the front end is basically on the same line as the lower end of the back end (compensating for rake of course) . If you're happy with the end result then that's all that matters.

Please don't take my suggestions so seriously, I'm only trying to give you another person's prospective.

treblig

Please don't take my suggestions so seriously, I'm only trying to give you another person's prospective.

treblig

I didn't mean to piss in your porridge either. LOL. I know you're taking the critiquing as constructive.

Please don't get me wrong!! You're doing an excellent job. The only issue I have is when you look at the whole car from the side. The lower rear end of the rear panels are much higher than the lower part of the front bumper (looking at it from the side). Your work is really excellent so my critique must be taken with a grain of salt. I have also made major modifications to car bodies and I realize that it's difficult to make major changes when you're getting close to the finish line. I think that the design of the front bumper is really, really nice. Typically when a car is designed the lower edge of the front end is basically on the same line as the lower end of the back end (compensating for rake of course) . If you're happy with the end result then that's all that matters.

treblig

Not at all!! I am glad you pointed that out. You guys are correct, too deep. I will remedy that situation!!! :prayer:

looking nice!

one thing for me... that's not really sitting in "harmony" id like to see you shave down a little of that front bumper the same way you did the sides of that front bumber, maybe do the same in the front a little bit maybe blend it more on the front (left/right)

I love it
what you have done is awesome
if you could just push it back in so it does not stick out so for past grill, just a thought :coffee2:

At my Dad's and I brought my bumper with to work on. Sanding down the bottom part making it smaller. Making the "bumper" portion narrower too. No pics, will post some when home.

Haven't been able to do anything with the Cuda the last couple weeks. Been out of town for a week and this week, trying to catch up. :protest: Worked a little on the bumper at my Dad's place and managed to cut down the size some. Have to use the contour bars to balance the sides out and maybe be able to make just a hair smaller.
View attachment WP_20151007_002.jpg
Did manage to epoxy the SS mesh to the scoop openings tho yesterday. :cheers:
Little things make progress they say.................:glasses7:
View attachment WP_20151015_001.jpg

Got some time to work on my bumper today. Sanded more off the bottom and curved the sides in some more. As far as I can go and not loose my fog/driving lights. I went with a similar shape of the "bumper" to the factory shape. It "fits" the shape of the car a lot better.
View attachment WP_20151017_001.jpg

View attachment WP_20151017_002.jpg

View attachment WP_20151017_005.jpg

View attachment WP_20151017_007.jpg
In this last pic you can see that I removed enough material to make it even with the rocker.
View attachment WP_20151017_008.jpg
Now on to the fiberglass work...... :protest:

Got some time to work on my bumper today. Sanded more off the bottom and curved the sides in some more. As far as I can go and not loose my fog/driving lights. I went with a similar shape of the "bumper" to the factory shape. It "fits" the shape of the car a lot better.
View attachment 1714849624

View attachment 1714849625

View attachment 1714849626

View attachment 1714849627
In this last pic you can see that I removed enough material to make it even with the rocker.
View attachment 1714849628
Now on to the fiberglass work...... :protest:

That's looking a lot more "proportional" to the rest of the car lines!! We need a good level pic from the side to compare the front end to the back end but from what you've posted it's looking a lot better!! I know it's a lot of work and sweat but when it comes out right you'll be happy for a long time!! I had toyed with the idea of suggesting that you make the lower driving lights rectangular so you could shorten the overall height of the bumper but I wasn't sure if rectangular openings would look good??? I also didn't want to make any more work for you so I kept my mouth shut!!
LOOK'N GOOD!!!!!!!!!!

treblig

I thought about rectangular, but would really stick out with a "rounded" car. It's still prolly a bit too deep, but I am going to live with it. :D I just have to do something similar with the back bumper to balance it out.

Houston, we are committed. :glasses7:

Thanks, treblig! I make enough work for myself, and reading all the builds on here and FBBO and FEBO I start to get the itch for another build and a lot more mods.......... :violent1:

Well good, then. Means I'll be able to buy this thing once you get bored with it. :D

Kudos SNKEBIT.

I've been holding off on bugging you about the car because I didn't want to slow up
progress. The front end modification is much more subtle now. I realize that it's been a lot of work and some people may not even realize it's been customized now that it blends so well with the rest of the car. - But I think you've nailed it.

I know that a lot of folks consider Halos to be gimmicky junk but a set of them might set off the front even more and give it an even more modernized look.

Well good, then. Means I'll be able to buy this thing once you get bored with it. :D

I have a sneaky fealing that what I would sell it for would be a lot less than somebody would give. :protest:

I do have to admit, I really like the building part. :cheers:

I have a sneaky fealing that what I would sell it for would be a lot less than somebody would give. :protest:

I do have to admit, I really like the building part. :cheers:

I'm not sure if you mis-spoke. But if you WOULD sell it for a lot less than what someone would give you for it, put me in line! LOL!

I'm not sure if you mis-spoke. But if you WOULD sell it for a lot less than what someone would give you for it, put me in line! LOL!

Yup, screwed that up. :violent1: What I meant, If I did sell, I would probably want a lot more than somebody would give me. lol Fiberglass fumes.... :protest:

Got this far and ran out of hardener for the resin. :protest: What a messy ordeal. Did I mention I hate fiberglass? :protest:
View attachment WP_20151018_001.jpg

View attachment WP_20151018_002.jpg

View attachment WP_20151018_003.jpg

The dark spots are from the mat bag being open in the shop for too long, dust, excetera.....

-
Back