1968 Slant Six Dart Survivor

-

73Dartmang

Reaction score
Hey guys! Kinda new to the forum as of this year. Don't know much about the Slant Six really. Always fooled around with the big blocks. Need some advice on finding parts and information/stupid questions. Here is my new toy. Im the third owner of the dart shown below. It has 96,500 miles. Original paint and interior. Everything down to the shocks is factory or has been replaced with NOS parts over the years. The first owner was a little lady who loved the Dart. Always garaged and survived 42 years in New England. Look at the trunk logo as it was bought in Somerville MA. Not a dime of rust on the fenders or anywhere as the lady's mechanic painted the undercarriage with 10w-40 every winter. Interior is clean as a whistle with only the front bench needing to be done. Everything works! Even one factory headlight is still working! Running on points ignition, which I have no clue about.

I stared at this car on the side of the highway for two years. My buddy went through it and replaced a ton of stuff. Im keeping it survivor and NOS hopefully everything if possible. Buildsheet, numbers match. Ordered a year one catalog a minute ago. Do they make date coded replacement hoses?

IMG_2004.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg
ket.com/albums/t6/ASSINDUSTRIES/1968%20dodge%20dart%20slant%20six/IMG_2001.jpg[/IMG]

IMG_2002.jpg

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

IMG_2026.jpg

What the heck is the black box?? haahahaa Ignition? Blue wires are for an external power source. GPS,phone charger. Gonna pull it. Looks like crap, dont care if i get a little lost.

IMG_2023.jpg

Ahhh.. Is this some sort of exhaust choke thing? hahahaaa

IMG_2019-1.jpg

Stove? Needs to be tapped and the correct part found, help?

IMG_2031.jpg

White wire off of wiring harness. Any ideas what the heck this is for. Havent traced it yet. Thank god there is only one loose one.

IMG_2024-1.jpg

IMG_2032.jpg

Missing bolt. Any Ideas where I can find the correct one?

IMG_2020-1.jpg

Anything look funny? Does Holley make a brand new replacement if needed?

IMG_2015-1.jpg

IMG_2016-1.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2009.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2001.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

IMG_2037.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

Nice find! That thing is beautiful! Gotta move the More Door Darts!

Nice clean looking car! There are many things I see that aren't original or stock. You mentioned some of them already but I'll list the ones I see. You can get date coded hoses but unless you're going to show the car in a strict class, don't bother paying the premium for them. Here are the items I see.....radio (and cut dash), belts and hoses and clamps, fuel filter (those plastic ones can crack or melt you know...), alternator, voltage regulator, radiator cap, exhaust manifold, battery, and maybe the carb (I see an extra vacuumn fitting that's been capped for some reason). The loose wire looks like the one that goes to the oil pressure sender which is down under the oil filter, threaded into the oil pump housing. The exhaust manifold nut and washer are what's missing on the rear stud. they are special to the end studs only. They take a brass washer with a beveled inner hole and a castleated (sp?) nut that mounts up-side-down from what you would think. I can't see your front one so I don't know if it's correct or not. That needs to be installed as soon as possible or you may warp the exhaust manifold causing a port misalignment. There may be other things but that's all I notice right off hand with the photos you've posted.

Welcome to the site. Nice Dart, love the blue interior. It's nice seeing another More Doors '68 on FABO.

Attachments

• dart 1.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 567
Thanks guys! Radiator cap no doubt, hoses no doubt,fuel filter yep, voltage regulator, carb. Right on with the oil pressure sensor, that was my guess also. As the oil light didn't come on the other day and it was low. Gonna put a bolt on the manifold tomorrow to keep it tight. Does Year One make them? How bout that carb? I have the original carb and alternator and a new intake manifold. Haven't had a minute the last couple weeks. Gonna dig and get more pics soon. Radio was put in by original owner a few years back as they wanted the grand daughter to have the car. They thought she would like it if there was a new radio. They failed...Where can I get a manual? What the heck is the exhaust manifold choke looking thing? Ignition stuff? Year One? Does anyone have pictures under the hood? Factory correct, or anything close?
This thing runs smooth as a whistle!:cheers: For now...Thanks again!
IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

Ouch!
IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

More Dart ****.

IMG_2062.jpg

Here's the correct carb.

IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

Saw a 78 on the manifold...Original alt.

The extra photos help add a few more items to the list........door speakers, throttle return spring and bracket, the added blue wires that run through the speedo cable grommet, and the guard for the hot lead on the alternator. Get the correct nut and washer for the exhaust manifold stud. Using the wrong one can be as bad as not using one at all. The wrong setup or if you tighten the nut too much, might not let the manifold "move" which usually results in it cracking. Looks like one of the choke mounting bolts is broken off. It's also the bolt that holds the throttle return spring bracket. I can't tell right off if the extra exhaust manifold is the original one or not. Casting number? Is it cracked or warped? If it is, why did they keep it? If it isn't, why did they replace it? The carb should have a "list" number stamped into the top of the main body by the float chamber. With that number we can look up it's application. Same with the alternator.

That car is worth bringing back to stock condition. alk about a dream find! Cudamark has most of the things that needs to be done covered up pretty good. I even have a orginal spare tire for it dated 68!

Congratulations on a great 68 Dart :cheers: , That is a very nice car to say the least =P~=P~

Right on Mark! The speakers and radio were put in by the original owner a few years back. They were hoping the grand daughter would like the car if there was a radio. The blue wires were put in by the previous owner (a friend) in order to run his gps off a cigarette lighter. Im gonna pull that thing as I cant stand any extra wire crap. The original exhaust manifold was cracked. So he replaced it with the one on the car now. I cant see any stampings on the one on the car. The replacement I have has casting numbers,
78 4027567 3.

The choke mount screw is broken off as my friend made a mistake obviously.
The spare or possibly the original carb's stamping on the float bowl is

LIST 3920-1
32 8

On the side of the float bowl.

12R 3106 B

IMG_2071.jpg

Is the radio bezel behind the cd player OE?? Maybe he didn't cut through the dash...

IMG_2074.jpg

Is the random clip on the firewall for the speedo cable?

IMG_2072.jpg

IMG_2075.jpg

I need a new washer fluid lines and the correct clips. Year one have this stuff?

Good thing the granddaughter didn't get it for a daily driver. That car is too nice to drive in the salt. Good find!

I need a new washer fluid lines and the correct clips. Year one have this stuff?[/QUOTE]
IMG_2075.jpg

looks as though at some point, a part of the car was repainted.(look at the top right side of firewall)

The Holley manual says the 3920-1 carb is from a '68 Dart, Valiant, or Barracuda 225 automatic so that would indicate it's probably the original one. If it still has the tag on it, there should be a 14 stamped into it. Those are the last two digits of the part number which is 2863814. I believe the other numbers are date codes. The firewall bracket is for the speedo cable, and yes, the "F" connector for the W/S washer should be available new. The exhaust manifold is a late '70's replacement.

Nice Dart!! Perfect cruiser for Sac. Nice trim package on that one.

Thanks, 73Dart. Yeah, it's perfect for cruising when the weather is nice. Seeing as my car doesn't have air conditioning, I tend to avoid driving it during the day in the summer. Sacramento can get pretty dang hot, but at least it's a dry heat, lol. The trim package is the "White Hat Special." I think this was only available on the Dart 270 and above.

Here's a link to an explanation of what that is:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=108910

Another Dart page:

http://www.firstbyteashville.com/1968Dodgedart.asp

-
Back