1969 Race Dart w/ 426 Hemi- garaged for 45+ years

-
INDEED!! Wish we were neighbors because I would've tried to convince you to fire it up! I've gotten many cars fired up that have sat several years, but never a real, true Hemi. The process is the same for all gas engines. If it rotated by hand, its just a matter of air, fuel, and spark delivery. Those carbs would've been the showstoppers if they had fuel in them when parked.

Do you plan to return and hunt down the 340 in the "organized confusion" garage?
It would have been cool to fire it up, but I didn't want to risk any damage. I am not sure if that engine is in there..............it will be a little bit before we are back in NJ for another round of "American pickers" LOL

Oh crap, we’re at the point in the thread where people read the first page and the last page, then comment. Sucks because there are 18 pages of awesome here.
I was just thinking the same thing. All of that was done last weekend.

Oh crap, we’re at the point in the thread where people read the first page and the last page, then comment. Sucks because there are 18 pages of awesome here.

I was just thinking the same thing. All of that was done last weekend.
Sean mentioned this would happen. Should we start another thread?

It would have been cool to fire it up, but I didn't want to risk any damage. I am not sure if that engine is in there..............it will be a little bit before we are back in NJ for another round of "American pickers" LOL
I dig it. So once it's all said and done, are you planning to do a lil' drag racing with it, cruise it, or just show it off with a great story board? I'm sure you've mentioned this already in the thread, but as it's already been shown, I don't read entire threads well...:lol:

I dig it. So once it's all said and done, are you planning to do a lil' drag racing with it, cruise it, or just show it off with a great story board? I'm sure you've mentioned this already in the thread, but as it's already been shown, I don't read entire threads well...:lol:
The plan is all of the above. :thumbsup: :steering:

Sean mentioned this would happen. Should we start another thread?
It tends to follow where ever. You are a celebrity now. My car only got 4 pages! It is making me laugh though. Sorry

It tends to follow where ever. You are a celebrity now. My car only got 4 pages! It is making me laugh though. Sorry

nah man, i say let it ride. leave all the info in one place. a great and epic story that reads straight thru, not broken up and scattered around.

Thanks, Letting it ride! :steering:

Hey man this is VERY COOL!! One word of caution is that do not advertise too much to the "HEMI" experts that you don't know what you're looking at or doing. That's a sure fire way to get taken advantage of by the devilish "Hemi aficionados" of the universe. I would pull in a long time trusty friend to help you disassemble the engine yourself so that you at least know what is inside the engine before you drop it off. You can' hurt the engine by taking it apart your self as long as you retain that same cadence of "baggin' and taggin'". Take plenty of pics and then drop it off.
Good point Cool Whipps, posts deleted.

A lot of parts……

6A02F844-4041-40A4-987E-F2C3E5F4A467.jpeg

5B23EDD6-9674-43C4-844B-E928BF92A982.jpeg

2A77F398-45B4-4929-8415-DFE8A36C6C46.jpeg

F6CAAAAB-E869-4D4E-AE89-AE762582BD0E.jpeg

92B4A32B-CF83-4FF1-89AA-0229BC83DAF0.jpeg

Seat brackets look to be 1965 SS, so seats could be also than?
Or A-100 Pic-up (folding).
Possibly was 4 brackets of the same size used, since left and right bracket ( ´65 SS B-body ) is very different in height.

Seat brackets look to be 1965 SS, so seats could be also than?
Or A-100 Pic-up (folding).
Possibly was 4 brackets of the same size used, since left and right bracket ( ´65 SS B-body ) is very different in height.
Seat brackets may be. The seats, not sure what they are from but they were painted black from their original color. I am going to have them redone with the same pattern.

Seat brackets may be. The seats, not sure what they are from but they were painted black from their original color. I am going to have them redone with the same pattern.
Yes, not good on the ´65´s but think they came in red and "gold" also, maybe other color too...

Said you wanted to keep it the WAY IT IS, but you wanna put the crossram on. Your FIL took the crossram off for a reason. Keep the current dual carb Dominators. TONS COOLER.

Said you wanted to keep it the WAY IT IS, but you wanna put the crossram on. Your FIL took the crossram off for a reason. Keep the current dual carb Dominators. TONS COOLER.
The crossram was originally on the motor. That is what’s going back on. I am told dominators are for racing, high idle, full throttle not the kind of driving I will be doing a lot of. With a racing setup, I am sure things were changed numerous times. Just like the wheels and different scoops he ran on the hood.

Last edited:
The crossram was originally on the motor. That is what’s going back on. The tunnel and dominators are for racing, high idle, full throttle not the kind of driving I will be doing a lot of…..
Both are baddass. I wanted a cross ram very badly, but was out of my budget. The tunnel ram has been amazing. Some tuning issues - like all multi carb setups until they are dialed in. It starts and runs soooo good. I don't have the dominators though. The tunnel rams don't seem to have the fuel puddling like the cross rams do.

My Cuda is running a Ray Barton crossram that has been internally massaged. I have never had a plug fouling or loading up and running rich issue. My A/F ratio gauge is spot on.
As I mentioned yesterday, mine is slowly wasting away it seems. This greets me every time I go out through my garage. Sad..
But this weekend - it will be much different thanks to the inspiration from this thread. Thanks again....

IMG_2615.jpg

My Cuda is running a Ray Barton crossram that has been internally massaged. I have never had a plug fouling or loading up and running rich issue. My A/F ratio gauge is spot on.
As I mentioned yesterday, mine is slowly wasting away it seems. This greets me every time I go out through my garage. Sad..
But this weekend - it will be much different thanks to the inspiration from this thread. Thanks again....

View attachment 1716080330
Thanks, great car! :thumbsup:

View attachment 1716080330
Just a suggestion, start a thread of your own resurrecting this thing! It would be great to follow along, see some pics, etc!

The crossram was originally on the motor. That is what’s going back on. I am told dominators are for racing, high idle, full throttle not the kind of driving I will be doing a lot of. With a racing setup, I am sure things were changed numerous times. Just like the wheels and different scoops he ran on the hood.
At the risk of Cool Whipps telling me to keep my opinion to myself, make no mistake the crossram is a race intake. Basically it is a tunnel ram with the runners laid down horizontally instead of vertical on the tunnel ram. With the crossram run the correct part number Holley carbs that work in unison with the crossram it looks like you have those carbs from the pics but I would recommend verifying they are the correct carbs.I could give you sources for parts, linkage, the correct jetting baseline as per Mopar tech bulletins from 1968 etc as well as a good source for the seat covers and brackets, of course what do I know I am just running that exact set up in my 68 Dart. PM if you need any info so Cool Whipps won’t get upset.

At the risk of Cool Whipps telling me to keep my opinion to myself, make no mistake the crossram is a race intake. Basically it is a tunnel ram with the runners laid down horizontally instead of vertical on the tunnel ram. With the crossram run the correct part number Holley carbs that work in unison with the crossram it looks like you have those carbs from the pics but I would recommend verifying they are the correct carbs.I could give you sources for parts, linkage, the correct jetting baseline as per Mopar tech bulletins from 1968 etc as well as a good source for the seat covers and brackets, of course what do I know I am just running that exact set up in my 68 Dart. PM if you need any info so Cool Whipps won’t get upset.
Thank you, Great information! Yes the carbs are correct for the ram. :thumbsup:

-
Back