1970 440 Police Interceptor?

-

67 Power Wagon

Hemi Pawr or BUST!
Reaction score
Guys,
I just found/stumbled onto a 1970 440 Police Interceptor....NO car, just the engine! Question, is this a special engine? WHATS so special if it is?

The owner is the same guy that has that orange 1970 Roadrunner, thats got a 383 under the hood.....I'm just wondering if I should grab this if at a good price! (I have not seen this motor to be able to touch it per-say, BUT....) I'd like to know if there is something to it I should look for, as I am sort of interested in this motor...... It supposedly, also has the transmission on it too!

ANY help on this would be GREAT!

What are your intentions with it? It probably just had a little hotter cam and a little different carb than a standard production engine, if that. Could possibly have a six pack rotating assy. Honestly if the price isn't good I'd look elsewhere if you're looking for a core to build. If it has the "HP" stamp on the block there are people that think and charge at a premium. Where I'm at I can find motor home engines for less than 500. But they are cores. Not something I'm thinking I can just throw in and run. The last one I tore down had six pack rods in it with a forged crank. 440 source has some good info on their web site about different castings etc. hope I've been some help to you as I'm sure others will chime in.
http://www.440source.com/blockinfo.htm

Value is in:

HP stamped block
HP special balencer

What are your intentions with it? It probably just had a little hotter cam and a little different carb than a standard production engine, if that. Could possibly have a six pack rotating assy. Honestly if the price isn't good I'd look elsewhere if you're looking for a core to build. If it has the "HP" stamp on the block there are people that think and charge at a premium. Where I'm at I can find motor home engines for less than 500. But they are cores. Not something I'm thinking I can just throw in and run. The last one I tore down had six pack rods in it with a forged crank. 440 source has some good info on their web site about different castings etc. hope I've been some help to you as I'm sure others will chime in.
http://www.440source.com/blockinfo.htm

I really don't have no intentions it wassomething that was mentioned in my presence and I got to wondering what the guy might have if anything, is it a "money pit" to gain extra dollars listed as a "Police Interceptor" OR is it got something for real that produces a bit more power then say a non Interceptor 440? See?

I can get the motor, and transmission for $400, was told the unit as a whole ran, less then 6 months ago, and is stored well, I got a glimpse of it and it looks at a distance to be well taken care of....Carb is wrapped with plastic and sealed up, as well as the ends of the exhaust manifolds and all open lines are plugged, from what I could see....AND its up off the floor as well Was told it came from a car that was driven off the trailer that brought it as the rear of the car was toast, and have been crunched from the rear and shoved the whole rear to about the area just below the top of the rear window, and began to wrinkle parts of the rear door of the car.

Value is in:

HP stamped block
HP special balencer
HP lower pulley

Please explain? Whats the HP lower pulley like? And what you mean "Special Balencer"?

The stamped block part I know and understand, I'm un-sure of the rest tho!

SEE, I have been looking and want to get a project car, and with that I know of this engine and a few others this one todate sounds to be the best deal, BUT I know of a few cars that are workable rolling chassis, both A and B body cars.....Something me and my step son is getting onto together.....

With looking, I'm expecting a bit of cash flow to come in and with that, I'm going to have a bit to play with in a month or so.... So, I'm kinda "testing the waters" shall we say to see whats out there in my area and what to expect as well......And what to run from and whats a good deal, you know?

The balancer may be a special thick "6-pack/hemi-rod weight on a crank that would otherwise be way out of balance" and the shallow pulley that has to be used on that thick-*** balancer. Just a theory....Police might have chrome valve stems and sodium exhaust valves for high endurance running...like the old police/taxi fleet cars.

all 70 HP and all 71 HP 440 motors originally had heavier rods than previous HP 440 motors. Those require a special balancer.

(My bad. The 440 does NOT get a special pulley, it the Hemi that does)

From http://www.440source.com/dampers.htm

Shown above is damper #3512017, commonly known as a "six-pack" damper. This damper can be easily identified by a small .210" thousandths thick elliptical weight attached to the center hub. This version was used in '70 and '71 and has the offset pulley bolt pattern. Be careful not to confuse it with 3614372, which was used only in '72 and looks similar except for having a symmetrical pulley bolt pattern. The weight on the 3614372 may be slightly thicker at .255", but we have not been able to verify this.
Even though these dampers have an elliptical weight, they were never used with any cast cranks. These dampers were used with steel cranks and "six pack" (2951908 casting #) rods. The extra weight is to offset the added weight of the extra metal in the rods and pistons. Another important fact is that even though six pack rods continued to be used up until 1975 in HP and truck 440's with steel cranks, they did NOT use this damper. As you can see from the chart above, any 73-75 steel crank 440 (with either six pack or standard rods) would have come with the 3614371 damper. We have found this to be absolutely true.

1001051.jpg

Most likely a 440 magnum or a 440 super commando . Same engine that came standard in the Charger R/T or the Plymouth GTX.

Most likely a 440 magnum or a 440 super commando . Same engine that came standard in the Charger R/T or the Plymouth GTX.
375 horse - 440. my 69 rt had the same engine , bone stock-----the tulsa police had 2 of them back in 1968, when the broken arrow expressway was new, the camaros of that time were out running them on it. so the new 440`s were bought to catch them, the factory gauranteed the p.d. at that time that if they kept them tuned right, they would do 186 m.p.h., had 3:54 dana 60`s under them. my rt had the same drive train, don`t know about the 186, but it would bury a 160 m.p.h. speedometer, w/ a little left on the pedal. who knows??? had a lot of fun outrunning the hot firebirds of that era, even outran one on hiway 75, w/ an airconditioner in the back w/ the trunk lid tied down, almost straight up, really embarassed the guy, he had a beautiful blonde w/ him------bob

It's got a cop motor of 440 cubic inch plant....

[ame]http://youtu.be/jKmuKjpKPIo[/ame]

I was in a Mopar club back in 1976. One of our members worked at a shop which maintained the local fleet of California Highway Patrol cars. He told me that the CHP had their 440 Interceptor motors blueprinted and the heads ported and polished by a contract speed shop. In that era, the CHP had to contend with high speed runners driving Porsches, Jags, Ferraris, and Lambos. I don't know if it was only the CHP that modified their motors.

The easiest way to tell if it is a cop car engine is to get your nose up close to it and smell it to see if it smells like coffee and doughnuts.
Other than that, if it's a good core worth building, it's worth the 400 bucks.

The easiest way to tell if it is a cop car engine is to get your nose up close to it and smell it to see if it smells like coffee and doughnuts.
Other than that, if it's a good core worth building, it's worth the 400 bucks.

LOL

Yep. I would verify the year and displacement with the casting number and stamps on the pad at the front of the block, if that all matches up and if it's not siezed I think the 400 bucks is a screaming deal for a 440 and 727.

"Police Interceptor" is very vague, most departments buy vehicles optioned out different ways based on a lot of variables. The engine could have come out of a civilian car that the police had a local upfitter modify with lights, siren, push bar, etc. and not done anything with the engine. What work was done to the car could vary greatly, and being 40+ years old you're not likely to be able to find out short of digging into it.

Thanks everyone for the input. the Step-Son is gonna pick it up after-all, as I read off to him what all has said here, and for the money its one hell-of-a deal I thought but, better to ask and get some input you know? The block isn't locked up at all....

After speaking with the guy who owns it, he said the car it came out of, was setting in a back lot of the local police station for a number of years till recently the car itself was deemed "junk" town called him to remove the car which he did and he still has the car, which is how he got the car! Needless this guy is the towns local "junk dealer" with that said, he gets all sorts! I've seen a bit I'm still drooling over this one, being one of them! I still have yet to get close to the motor itself, but I have been up to the car and what a freakin mess! The whole rear, is crunched up, toast, and the front is covered in pine sap "pitch" and all sorts of rust, a real mess, but the thing actually fired over from sitting, I'da said no! As it could have sucked all sorts of crap into the fuel line but was no issue with the guy that has it and he got it off the trailer, into his garage to remove the motor and trans and set them off and is gonna scrap the car, a 1970 Dodge Polara, 4 door "Police Cruiser", man 'O man is that big f*ckin' car! Feels like yer standin beside a boat! Or a Jewish Canoe! LOL

But the engine looks as tho it wasn't beat up or anything as far as I could see. I'm wanting to get my hands on the thing before the Step-Son buys to see if its as good as the guy says before he flops out $400 you know? It may as well end up in a late 70's early 80's pick up if nothing else, (I'm not sure of the plan he has for it IF he does buy it.....)

The Father of one of my friends owned a wrecking yard and one weekend his Father was gone on a trip.
He called and told me to come down and pull a "Police interceptor" 440 magnum for my 69 Roadrunner.
At the time I had the original 383 Magnum in the car and it was in good condition and ran really good.
The first time I put that pedal down with the 440 in it I could instantly notice the difference.
Both engines ran the 800 Holley and what a frickin power monster for a basically stock motor.
160 on the freeway was easy, but I was too nervous to take it faster than that but it had pedal left.
I could enter the freeway at 60 mph and step on it to kick down into second and easily spin those Micky Thompson radial tires up to over 80 mph. (yes both of them :))
It was kinda scary in the rain because on the freeway at 55 if you pushed the gas a little too much the rear end would start walking around.

For what it's worth I paid 400$ for a complete 69 HP engine over 10 years ago. Allegedly out of a cop car.

What rear end is under the car? Maybe snag that also if it is a Dana unless it got hurt in the wreck. If it did is the tranny also hurt? Are cop car radiators better, maybe snag that too.

No cop car got a Dana.

C-body radiators are different from B, E and A body radiators.

I got to ride in one of the 440 interceptor cars back in 1978/79. Don't remember what year the car was (early 70s or so), all I remember is MOPAR!!! It kinda looked like a piece of junk (big ole' 4 door) but looks are deceiving. The guy had bought it at auction. It had a little over 100,000 miles and it was one of the times in my life that I thought I was gonna DIE!!! It didn't have a top end and the guy kept pushing it. It was a big cruiser (4dr) but damn it would move!!! It's really amazing how a car that big can move that fast!! Those were the dazeeeeeeee!!!

PS - One of the other times I thought I was going to die was when I went for a ride with a friend of a friend in a '68 4 speed, 440 GTX. The guy came up over the top of a large bridge (over a ship harbor) doing about 145MPH and realized that there was an accident at the bottom of the bridge. He laid on his brakes for a good 150 yards (going down hill with tires squalling the whole time) before he had slowed down enough to avoid the accident!!
Those were the daySSSSSSSSSSS!!!

treblig

No cop car got a Dana.

C-body radiators are different from B, E and A body radiators.

C-Body Radiators (at least some of em) will fit in an A-Body though, FYI.

I ran a 4-Core 26" C-Body Radiator in my '74 Duster for years, and then transplanted that radiator into my D50.

the reason they call them interceptor was thre trans stayed in second gear when floored till about 120 mph nothing to do with the motor.

Well its goin to be a done deal....I went to have a look at the car itself further, the whole rear of the car, right to the rear edge of the back door, is trash....The rearend whatever it was (thats how bad of is junk, the shop owner rigged up some sort of power rearend that would move the car around just enough to get it in the shop, and then it be removed....Its got some sort of odd damn drive shaft coupling on it that looks as tho it could be fitted to the end of any drive shaft, and then it has what looks to be a traction bar on either side thats bolted to the frame, and a few long *** leafs that the "bow" goes upward in the middle that the underside simply rests on, and can slide around looks dangerous, BUT it works and he told me (as I had to ask) its done some crazy **** with that thing.....

The actual rearend to the car was on it when he first got there to get the car to see what he needed to do to remove it, but wasn't usable for the removal. They told him that it was brought in on a low deck, and dumped right where he took it from.

The drive shaft is there but looks to be toast too, but the transmission is unharmed, I'm going to look at it a bit closer, this weekend as the Step-Son and I are going to get then, probably Saturday I would guess.....I will check the radiator, and other front end stuff on it, not sure if/what is all there.....Been helping the owner move things in his garage to get the motor out. Step-Son tells me hes looking to buy a 76 Power Wagon, rolling chassis......SO, I know where this engine is gonna be!

The guy that owns it told me that if it has ANYTHING wrong with it as he said it ran, He'll refund the $400.....As long as the engine isn't "built"....If it remains stock and something happens its on our hands then, but as it is, right now he pretty much guarantees it'll run as-is, and if not return it for a full refund, I will have him put that into writing just in case!

-
Back