1970 Dart Swinger

-
I'll dyno it at some point. It put 450+ to the wheels in a 4x4 Dakota with a horribly tuned SCT system before I bought the Dart.

It should make 530-540 at the crank at this point with the carb dialed in properly, and long tube headers.

I bought [basically] the same kit from Summit with mufflers, plus a universal X pipe-sounds pretty decent, but I have some exhaust leaks to fix now because of the casting bump on the drivers side of the block...pushes out against my headers and won't let the center primaries seal.

Interesting on the mounts-never noticed any issues, guess I should be pretty pleased about that.

How much HP is that 390 supposed to kick out anyway? You gonna put it on the rollers?

I took a grinder to that bump in the block, and solved that problem permanently. LOL!

Yeah, I'll be doing that this weekend...gotta get it inspected, and places around here will fail a car for exhaust leaks...

Can't wait to see more of this car-did you mention what kinda wheels you're going with??

I haven't decided on wheels. I plan on swapping to the big bolt pattern front and rear, and disc brakes (possibly front and rear), then I'll decide. Until then, I'm going to put tires on it, and clean up what I have. (Although they're pretty bad under the overspray.

OK, people. I have been working on wet sanding and polishing the body panels today. I have a lot left to, but I am very happy with how it's coming out so far.
I finished the upper half of the passenger side of the car today. I still have to do the bottom half of the door and quarter panel, then that side is complete.

Pics:

IMAG0151.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

i noticed you still have the holes for the side trim on the car , do you happen to know if the clips for the trim are being repopped , the previous owner gave me the side trim when i got my 70 swinger but all 46 clips are mia . btw the car is lookin good .

i noticed you still have the holes for the side trim on the car , do you happen to know if the clips for the trim are being repopped , the previous owner gave me the side trim when i got my 70 swinger but all 46 clips are mia . btw the car is lookin good .

Thanks!

I have no idea about the clips as of right now. I'm looking around for the trim pieces to put back on myself.

Quick update here, I have got the new tires on, and adjusted the ride height properly now, and it rides and drives very nicely!

Here you can see how high the PO had the front set, and it was so high that with the new tires it caused the fender to rub on turns:
IMAG0155.jpg

I set the height to match the fender radius to the tire radius better, and the problem went away. Imagine that!
IMAG0163.jpg

OK. I haven't updated you fine people in a while, because I haven't really done much but drive it and shake the gremlins out of it.

I managed to break a u-joint that was brand new. Apparently the cap was defective, as it just broke apart going about 25mph. Pissed me right off!

Apparently Photobucket is down, or I would post a pic of the cap. Whatever. I'll post one later on if anyone wants to see it. LOL!

I took a video of a quick walk around the car, and an exhaust sound clip with a crappy camera that attenuates the sound.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVdEoe2ySuw&list=UUITTMo-cIzafjtZqdUDNsIw&index=1&feature=plcp"]1970 Dodge Dart Walkaround and FlowTech Warlock Mufflers - YouTube[/ame]

OK, here are a couple of quick videos of driving the car around town. Nothing special, but you get an idea of how it responds to some throttle.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CScghNJx4g"]1970 Dart driving around 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDKgj7RKcQE&feature=youtube"]1970 Dart driving around 2 - YouTube[/ame]

You have done a great job on the car. I just got thru doing my 70 RoadRunner and it took me 8 years. Now I'm going to do my 70 340 Swinger, it is Plum Crazy Purple and a pro painter did it and really screwed it up. Is your close to the Plum Crazy? I can't tell in the pictures. Congrats on a job well done. Ronnie

You have done a great job on the car. I just got thru doing my 70 RoadRunner and it took me 8 years. Now I'm going to do my 70 340 Swinger, it is Plum Crazy Purple and a pro painter did it and really screwed it up. Is your close to the Plum Crazy? I can't tell in the pictures. Congrats on a job well done. Ronnie
Thanks! I appreciate the kind words!

The paint I used is Summit brand, and the color is called "Plum Pearl Metallic". It's a single stage paint, but I cleared over it anyway so I could get a deeper shine and also be able to wet sand and buff it with no fear of going through to the primer.

I like it a little better (just a personal preference) than the original Plum Crazy, but it is pretty close. The light hitting it makes it look different because of the pearl in the paint.

I have finished polishing the RH side of the car now, and it came out pretty good.

Pics:

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0011-1.jpg

Here you can see where I stopped on the trunk lid:
IMAG0008-1.jpg

OK, I haven't updated this thread in quite a while. I've done a lot with the car, but mostly mechanical stuff.

I have new ball joints, upper control arm bushings, and leaf springs. I went with the XHD springs from Mancini, and the car sits like it should now without those BS shackles.

2012-10-25_16-53-29_278.jpg

2012-10-25_16-49-18_354.jpg

2012-10-25_16-48-54_874.jpg

Here's a little before and after from this summer:

This one was in early June:
DSC01913.jpg

This is just about the same angle taken a few weeks ago now:

2012-10-25_16-48-54_874.jpg

-
Back