1970 Dart Swinger

-
OK, I have a few updates from this winter. I got the carb finalized, and assembled, so without further ado, a few pics of the nearly finished engine:

IMAG0576.jpg

IMAG0577.jpg

IMAG0578.jpg

With the return springs and bracket:

IMAG0584.jpg

OK, since we have had absolutely beautiful weather here in Michigan for the past week, I was able to get a lot of work done on the car!

The fuel pump is mounted on a piece of angle iron so that it hangs below the fuel tank:
IMAG0649.jpg

I also fabbed a mount for the relay and circuit breaker for the pump.

IMAG0647.jpg

Next I took apart the dash because the steering column was already out:

IMAG0653.jpg

Sanded and primed:
IMAG0657.jpg

Painted satin black:
IMAG0660.jpg

IMAG0659.jpg

Glove box door done:
IMAG0662.jpg

Last, I redid the gauge cluster because it was a mess:
IMAG0666.jpg

That's all for now.

I'm waiting for a new headlight switch, some bulbs, and a few lamp sockets, then I can reinstall the instrument panel and the steering column.

In case any of you A-Body junkies are still interested in this one, I have been working on the interior again tonight. I have finished the paint, and test fit the panels, and all is well.

I am waiting for some replacement bulbs for the instrument panel, and tomorrow I will reassemble it completely, then add a radio delete plate with switches cut into it later.

Dash before:

DSC03816.jpg

Gutted out:

IMAG0653.jpg

Sanded and primed:

IMAG0656.jpg

Couple of coats of paint on the dash:

IMAG0659.jpg

Glove box door reconditioned:

IMAG0662.jpg

Gauge cluster refinished and painted:

IMAG0666.jpg

Test fitting everything:

IMAG0670.jpg

IMAG0669.jpg

IMAG0672.jpg

I'll get some better pics when I reassemble everything and test the lights and other accessories out later on. Maybe this weekend or sooner.

OK. I might as well update the build thread, since the car now has a drivetrain installed again after a whole year!
This wasn't going to work well for me at all. The engine bay was going to get torn up by doing it this way:

IMAG0092.jpg

Trans back in its home:
IMAG0095.jpg

On the into the bay:
IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

The LA mounts on a Magnum 318 work fine, but you have to swap the RH LA mount to the LH side on a Magnum. Luckily I kept the old mounts I had so I could make everything work right.

IMAG0099-1.jpg

RH mount is from Schumaker for a 360:
IMAG0098-1.jpg

Dropped in place, and just about to pull the chain off:
IMAG0096.jpg

Carb and alternator put back on for now:
IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

That's about it for now. I will be putting the headers into position tomorrow. It won't be fun, but I'm not that worried about it. I will make it work.

Great build. What are the specs on the 318 stroker?
Thanks!

The engine is a 4" stroke, .030 over, 11:1 compression with a .588/.588 236/242 @.050 cam.

Mopar Magnum R/T 1.92 heads pocket ported.

Today, I fought with A-body long tube headers. They are not that hard to install if you are patient.

I found it easy as pie when I pulled the steering box out, however it took me 2 hours of fighting with it to get to that point. The RH side went right in.

At this point, the headers are bolted up (still loose, because I want new bolts and Remflex gaskets), the starter is installed, all linkages are connected, the TV cable is hooked up and somewhat adjusted, the distributor is set for about 15* of base timing, and the wires are connected.

Time to quit rambling and put some pics up:

I still have a little issue on the LH side of the engine. The #6 tube hits the steering box. I will probably lift the motor back up a little and grind that corner off so there's a little bit of clearance.

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0107.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

Hard to believe that this:
DSC03809.jpg

And this:
IMAG0108.jpg

are the same car a year or so later.

Just reread the thread, and am impressed with what you got done, especially in the driveway! Love the color.

Grant

Just reread the thread, and am impressed with what you got done, especially in the driveway! Love the color.

Grant
Thanks!

Wait until I cut and buff it in a little while here. It will look a lot better than it does.

I got the engine fired up today. I just had to hear it run on open headers at least one time! LOL!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5TsYXmaD54"]1970 Dart first start up - YouTube[/ame]

It now runs and drives.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnt9BdFEtJU"]1970 Dart Maiden Voyage - YouTube[/ame]

What a giant piece of crap. How dare you even show that giant turd on this site. Go back to where you came from. We don't want people like you here. :finga:

Oh, by the way, I cleaned the back window off for you yesterday, Corey.:poke:

That thing looks great and sounds strong. You have you a sweet ride right there. Congratulations, you deserve it after all the hard work you put in.

Thanks, man! I'm really excited to get it on the road now. I just have to install the exhaust kit, and put some insurance on it, and it will be good to go.

...The LA mounts on a Magnum 318 work fine, but you have to swap the RH LA mount to the LH side on a Magnum. Luckily I kept the old mounts I had so I could make everything work right...

Let me first say-beautiful Dart! But, I'm a little confused at this statement. I just dropped a 5.2 Magnum out of a '98 Dakota in my '72 Scamp, and I didn't swap my engine mounts at all. Nothing seems to be amiss and everything bolted up correctly-did I miss something here?

Regardless, that stroker sounds pretty frikkin' awesome!

Let me first say-beautiful Dart! But, I'm a little confused at this statement. I just dropped a 5.2 Magnum out of a '98 Dakota in my '72 Scamp, and I didn't swap my engine mounts at all. Nothing seems to be amiss and everything bolted up correctly-did I miss something here?

Regardless, that stroker sounds pretty frikkin' awesome!
Thanks! I'm fine tuning the carb now, and hopefully I'll drive it around some this week.

Mine is a 318 Magnum block produced in mid 1996, and I think there's a minor difference there. The 318 mounts off of the LA motor in the car didn't fit right when I bolted them on, so I called Schumacher about it, and they recommended I use a set of 360 LA mounts.

The problem was that the mounts on the K-frame are slightly offset, and using the 318 LA mounts would have made the engine sit extremely cockeyed on the frame.

I also had to use a 360 LA pan to make the swap work.

Your Dart looks great and has come a long way!! Keep up the good work and the progress update. I'm sure you can't wait to start driving that thing!!

Thanks, Demon! I'm expecting to get it insured and registered this week, so as soon as I install the pipes, I'll start putting some miles on it.

I bought a 2-1/2" kit from Jegs without mufflers, and I'm planning on installing it this weekend, so I'll get some pics of that and post the progress, and hopefully a burnout video within the next week.

I bought [basically] the same kit from Summit with mufflers, plus a universal X pipe-sounds pretty decent, but I have some exhaust leaks to fix now because of the casting bump on the drivers side of the block...pushes out against my headers and won't let the center primaries seal.

Interesting on the mounts-never noticed any issues, guess I should be pretty pleased about that.

How much HP is that 390 supposed to kick out anyway? You gonna put it on the rollers?

-
Back