1970 Dart Swinger

-
Ok, people! I have the color put down on the car, and every bit of hard work has paid off! This is color only. I will wet sand and put a couple coats of clear down this weekend if weather permits. Enjoy!

Oh, and ignore the bumper, wheels, and tires. They were all trashed when I got the car, so I didn't bother trying to save them. I am replacing all of them by spring at the latest.
DSC01355.jpg

DSC01356.jpg

DSC01357.jpg

DSC01361.jpg

DSC01364.jpg

DSC01372.jpg

DSC01378.jpg

Thanks guys! I'm hoping to get the last coat of color and clear on by next week, and I'll put up a bunch of pics then!

OK everyone, as promised, here are some pics of the paint with a couple coats of clear on it. It needs some polishing, and possibly another coat of clear, but I won't mess with it again until spring at this point.

DSC01382.jpg

Windows need to be cleaned. LOL!
DSC01395.jpg

Again, ignore the bumper. It looks better now than it did a year ago! LOL!
DSC01387.jpg

DSC01391.jpg

DSC01396.jpg

DSC01383.jpg

DSC01392.jpg

rnaz,
Looking really good man, you did some really nice work here. You won't believe the difference when you buff that bad boy out!! L8r

Jim

I put another coat of primer on mine yesterday and of course the wind came up but it wasn't too bad. Did you paint your dart right where it sits? If so how did you keep crap out of the paint. I am too scared to paint my base/clear in the open air. Primer is one thing becouse it can be fix with sandpaper. Your paint turned out great. I am shooting for getting color on by the next 2 weeks.

I put another coat of primer on mine yesterday and of course the wind came up but it wasn't too bad. Did you paint your dart right where it sits? If so how did you keep crap out of the paint. I am too scared to paint my base/clear in the open air. Primer is one thing becouse it can be fix with sandpaper. Your paint turned out great. I am shooting for getting color on by the next 2 weeks.

I did paint it right there. There's a small amount of dust in the clear, but nothing that won't buff out in the end.

I had really good calm weather to paint/clear in, so I was pretty lucky.

Make sure you paint it early in the day if you do it. I had a little problem with the paint blushing when I laid the first 2 coats down, and I had to wet sand the entire car again to put the next 2 down. (There were light spots, so I knew it would need more paint anyway).

It was better when I put the clear down, but there's still a tiny bit of blushing in the clear, too. That will be gone when I wet sand it (1500 grit) and polish the hell out of it!

rnaz,
Looking really good man, you did some really nice work here. You won't believe the difference when you buff that bad boy out!! L8r

Jim
Thanks man! I can't wait to see it polished now!

I may drop the engine in before I cut and polish it, though. I only want to do that once.

Got a 70' myself in rebuilding stage. What style headers are you using?
Thanks
Those are FlowTech long tubes. I picked them up off of E-bay for $180. They're identical to the Heddman set that came off the car, so the fit should be good to go.

I haven't updated this thread in quite a while! That means I haven't been working on the car much.

I got some stuff done today, though. All 4 marker lights installed, both valances installed and aligned as good as they possibly can be.

No rear valance. Lamps installed:
IMAG0484.jpg

IMAG0487.jpg

IMAG0488.jpg

IMAG0486.jpg

IMAG0492.jpg

IMAG0491.jpg

Thanks, guys! I'm just happy to be able to work on it a little bit this late in the year. I got the battery box mounted last weekend too. The headlights and tail lights work. I need to get a few bulbs, though.

Time for an update.

I got a grille earlier this week, and some 1970 plates for it as well. I also setup the accessories and measured for belts.

Pics:

IMAG0517.jpg

IMAG0516.jpg

IMAG0518.jpg

IMAG0510.jpg

Couple of the grille in place, and held in with a couple of screws. (Don't mind the POS bumper, it's getting "fixed" soon)

IMAG0521.jpg

IMAG0522.jpg

I just need to find a fender extension, and paint it, and the front end will be 100% complete.

-
Back