1970 Duster project in Sweden

-
I got new brake shoes and shocks for the front from RockAuto. Had time to install the drivers side today. Doing the rest tomorrow.

New shoes and the Monro-Matic Plus
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4877.jpg

The old ones
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4878.jpg

Installed
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4879.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_487a.jpg

Yikes!!!!
From zero to hero on 1 quick order!
Nice!
Thanks, I see now that I did not place the bottom spring right. on the left side. The top bolt on the shock with the rubber bushings, How hard do I tight that one? I could go on until there are no more threads on it and the bushings are really squished.

Took my girlfriend on a road trip today. Only small country roads. We checked out three different castles and had dinner in the archipelago. The car drives great, it goes totally straight on the road, the temp gauge is nice and steady, breaks are nice and even and it is really nice with the new shocks up front and the new leaf springs out back. Gas mileage is 1.78 liters for 10 kilometers. I'm not sure how to convert it for you guys. A great day!

Took my girlfriend on a road trip today. Only small country roads. We checked out three different castles and had dinner in the archipelago. The car drives great, it goes totally straight on the road, the temp gauge is nice and steady, breaks are nice and even and it is really nice with the new shocks up front and the new leaf springs out back. Gas mileage is 1.78 liters for 10 kilometers. I'm not sure how to convert it for you guys. A great day!

10km = 6.1 miles
1.78L = 0.46 gal

First, let's get the bottom to = 1. To do that, we take the 1/x of 0.46 and get 2.13; then multiply 0.46 * 2.13 to get 1 gallon. To equalize the rest of the expression, we multiply 2.13 * 6.1 and get a little over 13 mpg. Sounds about right for a warmed over 273 putting around town.

Otherwise, I love what's going on with it! You're doing great work and look forward to every time I open this thread. I'll finally get to go pick up my Scamp from my dad's place pretty soon. I just recently moved into a new house and I had a 30'x40' slab poured. The 30'x40'x12' structure kit should be delivered this week, and hopefully erected in a week or so. I'll only have a single 10' roll up and 3'x7' man door, but it'll work for what I'm doing, I think. It'll probably be a while before I get electric set up, but I want it to be equipped with an 80 gal compressor, availability for a good quality welder, and eventually a 2 post lift. I found some 4' (1.2m) LED lights on Amazon that come in 4 packs for 120USD and I'll probably have about 8 or 12 of them.

I've missed out on 4 years of actually being able to work on my projects due to change of duty station assignments in the USAF, now I'm retired from active duty and shouldn't have to move any more, so I can lay down some roots again and start resuming parts and activities in my life that have been placed on hold.

Otherwise, I love what's going on with it! You're doing great work and look forward to every time I open this thread. I'll finally get to go pick up my Scamp from my dad's place pretty soon. I just recently moved into a new house and I had a 30'x40' slab poured. The 30'x40'x12' structure kit should be delivered this week, and hopefully erected in a week or so. I'll only have a single 10' roll up and 3'x7' man door, but it'll work for what I'm doing, I think. It'll probably be a while before I get electric set up, but I want it to be equipped with an 80 gal compressor, availability for a good quality welder, and eventually a 2 post lift. I found some 4' (1.2m) LED lights on Amazon that come in 4 packs for 120USD and I'll probably have about 8 or 12 of them.

I've missed out on 4 years of actually being able to work on my projects due to change of duty station assignments in the USAF, now I'm retired from active duty and shouldn't have to move any more, so I can lay down some roots again and start resuming parts and activities in my life that have been placed on hold.

Thanks for the encouragement! Congrats to the new house and to building your own shop. It will probably be as fun building it, as it will be working on your Scamp in it :) Do you have one of those "shop build" threads?

Myself, I was voted in to become a member in a huge garage with only American cars and enthusiasts. I feel very lucky to have this place. We share the club room, the storage, the grease pit, the machine area and the car wash corner. But we each have our own space for our cars. I have compressed air and a drain in my shop in the garage. Here are pics of my corner. It's great, but I would really like to have my own house and shop one day. I live in an apartment. I can't afford a house in Stockholm where me and my girlfriend lives.

Best of luck with the building of your shop! I look forward seeing it!
KyjKLU%1QFO64ZzkSdokNg_thumb_44fc.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_44f9.jpg

New paint and woodgrain sticker for the cluster
View attachment 1715050704

New paint for the grille too
View attachment 1715050707

Cleaned and painted the floor
View attachment 1715050708

Installed sound/resonance deadening material. Not too pretty, but no one is gonna see it :)
View attachment 1715050705

View attachment 1715050706

View attachment 1715050709
What brand sound deadener did you use?
edit: Sorry, I should have known it would come up later in the thread. :)

Last edited:
That's still a good area to work on one project at a time, and considering the cost of importing parts, I know that's gotta be a big chunk of change from the fruits of your labor. I'm always pretty happy to get around in the resto forums and see that you're still working on yours, and have a place to do so. Having a house is definitely nice, and you're reminded at the first of every month until it's paid off :lol:

I don't have any threads in the shop building forum; to be honest, I haven't ever clicked in there to see what's being done. Mine will be a pretty garden variety 30x40...I sourced some used-about-to-be-thrown-away vidmar cabinets and chests that will probably be more than I'll ever need to store all my tools, lots of hardware, and a good assortment of large car parts. I guess I'll have to peruse around in that forum and see if I can get some good ideas. :)

I have been doing some work on the 360 I bought last year. I hope I will be able to install it during this winter. When the 273 is out I will also be cleaning up and paint the engine bay.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_46e3.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4758.jpg

I have followed 318willrun porting videos.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_474f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4895.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4898.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4899.jpg

The bores look really good

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4896.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4889.jpg

The 360 will go together something like this

Stock crank, rods & bore (honed by me)
All new bearings & oil pump
Ported (by me) 3769974 heads - Mr. Gasket 1121G
Speed Pro H116CP pistons
Compression Ratio : 10.05 : 1 (according to a calculator)
Xe268H and matching springs, new lifters, chain and gears, stock rocker assembly
LD 340 Intake
Street Demon 625 carb
PerTronix Ignitor II Billet distributer & Flame Thrower coil
Long tube headers
2.5" Dual Exhaust / Super 44 Flowmaster
8 3/4 with 3.55 or 3.73 and suregrip
3000 stall converter
275/60-14 rear tires

The 360 will go together something like this

Stock crank, rods & bore (honed by me)
All new bearings & oil pump
Ported (by me) 3769974 heads - Mr. Gasket 1121G
Speed Pro H116CP pistons
Compression Ratio : 10.05 : 1 (according to a calculator)
Xe268H and matching springs, new lifters, chain and gears, stock rocker assembly
LD 340 Intake
Street Demon 625 carb
PerTronix Ignitor II Billet distributer & Flame Thrower coil
Long tube headers
2.5" Dual Exhaust / Super 44 Flowmaster
8 3/4 with 3.55 or 3.73 and suregrip
3000 stall converter
275/60-14 rear tires
Isn't the 625 carb a little on the small side? Wouldn't a 750 - or bigger - be 'better'?

Before
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_48cd.jpg

And after
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_48ce.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_48cf.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_48d0.jpg

I've never honed before, it was fun! Also got a lot of parts from the US yesterday. Next up is more cleaning and some more cleaning...

I had a change of plans again. Just ordered my first set of Edelbrock RPM heads :)

So are you selling the home-ported 360 heads? I'm interested!
I had not thought about that just yet. But sure. I would be happy if they get used. I have new exhaust valves for them. I was going to replace at least 2 guides, but they should probably all be replaced or knurled. They are in Stockholm/Farsta if you wanna have a look.

I had not thought about that just yet. But sure. I would be happy if they get used. I have new exhaust valves for them. I was going to replace at least 2 guides, but they should probably all be replaced or knurled. They are in Stockholm/Farsta if you wanna have a look.
Sweet! I'll PM you so we can hook up somehow. :thumbsup:

Some of the things for my 360 build. Still waiting for the heads though.
unadjustednonraw_thumb_48d6-jpg.jpg

I followed RustyRatRod's cam bearing install thread. Thanks Rusty! Everything lined up nicely, but of course I f...d up on the last bearing. Will have to get a new one and try again. Slid my old cam in the 4 ones I managed to install and it turned around no problem with my hands and a little assembly lube.

unadjustednonraw_thumb_48d5-jpg.jpg

-
Back