1971 340 water pump and crank pulley problem

-

121gigawatts

Reaction score
hey guys,
got a 69 dart. 71 motor. no power steering, no AC. the water pump and crank pulleys arent lined up so it has two belts. i replaced the alternator bracket with a oem replacement. now the belts are too tight. though im no master mechanic, ever since i bought this car ive had to fix some things the previous guy did. whats my best solution? new belts or replacement pulleys. thanks for any info guys.

hey guys,
got a 69 dart. 71 motor. no power steering, no AC. the water pump and crank pulleys arent lined up so it has two belts. i replaced the alternator bracket with a oem replacement. now the belts are too tight. though im no master mechanic, ever since i bought this car ive had to fix some things the previous guy did. whats my best solution? new belts or replacement pulleys. thanks for any info guys.
You might have to do both..
Probably need to make sure you have the right pulleys to begin with.
But, I did have the same problem as you. Previous owner had rigged up the alternator with what looked like factory brackets. When I did get the correct brackets I also had to get a slightly bigger alternator belt also.

If everything lines up properly with the new bracket, I'd just put fresh belts on that fit, and be done.

photos?

Sounds like you are running only WP, Crank and ALT so each could have a single grove pulley on them.
might want to look for a matched set?
In a previous post i measured the CL of the belt on my 67 273 to be about 5" from the machined face of the head not sure if a 340 measures the same.

photos?

Sounds like you are running only WP, Crank and ALT so each could have a single grove pulley on them.
might want to look for a matched set?
In a previous post i measured the CL of the belt on my 67 273 to be about 5" from the machined face of the head not sure if a 340 measures the same.

Ideally, I want to just buy a matching set but I’m trying to not spend unesassary cash. Alternator is a double groove, WP and crank are both single. The WP pulley sits out further from the block than the crank. The previous guy put on some aftermarket fan. (I still have the original.) so, I’m wondering which is incorrect the WP or the crank.
3F979E8C-3C79-49AB-90F4-712CA99ACAA9.jpeg
C0C9D766-8C48-40EB-8D22-D171BBFE4F2B.jpeg

With manual steering I believe the crank should be single groove. Water pump is usually single groove unless you have AC. Power steering still uses single groove water pump pulley. The alternator should be single groove but the double one should still work fine. I believe you will be using the groove closest to the alternator. I think you have the wrong water pump pulley. What is the height of that pulley?

he double pulley alternator only works with A/C....AFAIK. You can pull it off there with the right tool, and push on a single until it lines up, usually "all the way". The crank pulley should work regardless, but I think you have an early wp pulley on the pump, which will have to be swapped out.
I'm sorta guessing
If you intend on hitting the 6000s you gotta get the pulley alignment bang-on.

I think you're gonna need more fan tho, and probably a shroud, and probably a restrictor in that looped heater hose.and that top hose is gonna make trouble at high-rpm. These are not picking on your combo, I'm jus saying keep a close eye on your temp gauge.

Last edited:
so, I’m wondering which is incorrect the WP or the crank.
looks to me the crank and the inner Alt grove line up?

Looks to me the WP pulley is not deep enough for a single pulley setup

c0c9d766-8c48-40eb-8d22-d171bbfe4f2b-jpeg.jpg

Mine measures as below (the 4.75 at the WP is off a machined part of the intake) (keep in mind this is a 67 273)
Notice how much closer the WP pulley is to the pump than in your photo.

20180919_182238-jpg.jpg

The 5" is from a machined surface of the head

20180919_182345-jpg.jpg

Looks like you have a 69 and back water pump pulley, you need the 70 up version, since you have a aluminum pump

WOW. You Guys have have been a big help, I’ll be getting that 70+ WP pulley. So glad I joined this website. I’m sure you guys will be hearing from me many more times in the future. Haha.

-
Back