1972 318 need more power

-

mikess68

Reaction score
have a stock 318, (72) it has a elde intake and 4bbl carb now, and it sounds like someone put in a mild, not wild, cam. I wouldn't call it a much of one. the rest appears stock. have not checked the heads but guessing stock till i look at the numbers. I've has some tell me to find a v6 out of a dakota or something and use those heads and get more kick out of it. 1. will they fit?, will all the accessories on the 72 bolt up, like AC etc. 2. would they be worth it? I was thinking that perhaps some aftermarket heads might up the compression some and not break the budget. want to keep it "looking" stock as much as possible. got any ideas. (not wanting to get rid of the current motor(orginal to the car). do not want to rebuild the same.
Just looking for a little more bang for the buck and not break the bank. tks Mike

have a stock 318, (72) it has a elde intake and 4bbl carb now, and it sounds like someone put in a mild, not wild, cam. I wouldn't call it a much of one. the rest appears stock. have not checked the heads but guessing stock till i look at the numbers. I've has some tell me to find a v6 out of a dakota or something and use those heads and get more kick out of it. 1. will they fit?, will all the accessories on the 72 bolt up, like AC etc. 2. would they be worth it? I was thinking that perhaps some aftermarket heads might up the compression some and not break the budget. want to keep it "looking" stock as much as possible. got any ideas. (not wanting to get rid of the current motor(orginal to the car). do not want to rebuild the same.
Just looking for a little more bang for the buck and not break the bank. tks Mike

V6 heads...are for V6 engines...a 318 is a V8....the V6 heads ware missing a cylinder on each side...so NO they do not fit....

Since you have a intake and carb already on the 318..

Do you have dual exhaust on your car?.....Upgrade the distributor and dial in an advance curve for the engine...

Depending on what the cam is, it might already be "too big" and make a low end dog, AND a cam which is installed to the wrong "degree" (cam timing) can be a dog

As above............

The proper intake, IE something like an Edelbrock performer, or a factory 340/360 manifold

Not too big a carb

Good dual exhaust

And proper timing curve ............

will make the difference between a snotty little fun car to drive, and a complete dog.

An added bonus is gearing. Depending on tires / rear gear, something like a 2.73 rear gear is not going to be impressive.

"Magnum" heads form 92-04 will get you a compression increase, and 1.6 ratio rockers (like getting a slightly larger cam), but you will need new oil through lifters and pushrods, and a magnum or dual bolt pattern intake.

There is concern that magnum heads are prone to cracking, but there is debate about whether or not it's a serious issue.

Mag heads are not what I call a budget swap, especially having to pretty much change the intake and certainly cam / lifters.

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances....

Typo on the v6 of course
Have headers and duals. Does seem like timming a little off. Have electrnic points rest standard. Lots of moisture out exhaust when setting long periods of time but no leaks. Temp is fine so maybe retarded a little. Have small elde four bbl and matching intake. Slight indication of too much gas on kickdown but smoths back out in a second or so. Thinking heads with bigger valves and try to up compression on cc size???

Sounds like your on a budget. Easy and cheap is to shave your existing heads,maybe even up the valve size while your at it,and swap out the cam for something a little more agressive. Comp makes some good ones,as does Lunati.

Also not mentioned so far is the "302" casting head. Used from around 1985 to 1990,have a heart shaped combustion chamber and swirl ports. Will bump comp and provide better burn.Good port velocity,but not a ton of air delivery in stock form. Probably a better port than you currently have,and will be an easier and cheaper direct bolt on compared to a magnum.

You can find a set of 360 heads to put on it they will fit fine, get it bored out a bit and some new piston's will help as well. here is an article I found when I was thinking to do up my 318, hope this helps http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/mopar/0667em_mopar_318_engine/

Keep in mind that changing over to 360 heads will lower your compression about 1.2 pioints from the stock 318 head due to a larger combustion chamber.

If you buy 10.5 pistons for a 318, they will end up at 9.2 with 360 heads. Perfect for a street car. Been there, done that....

A nice upgraded cam would be something like this Crane I used to run.

216-228, .454-.480-112
Does not require a upgraded stall converter. I would use 3.21-3.23 gears at a min. With the stock tire.

Other cam companies have similar grinds. Comp, Lunati and even Summit racing all have similar spec'd cams. The Crane above is on a 112 C-line. The idle is good. A 110 C-line would have that muscle car rump to it.

If there is anymore work to "that engine" I would lightly mill and bowl port the heads.
Everything else is there. You should be able to run in the 14's (without head work) with those cam specs.

Depending on what the cam is, it might already be "too big" and make a low end dog, AND a cam which is installed to the wrong "degree" (cam timing) can be a dog

As above............

The proper intake, IE something like an Edelbrock performer, or a factory 340/360 manifold

Not too big a carb

Good dual exhaust

And proper timing curve ............

will make the difference between a snotty little fun car to drive, and a complete dog.

An added bonus is gearing. Depending on tires / rear gear, something like a 2.73 rear gear is not going to be impressive.

Old school hot rodding, these give the most response for the dollar spent. And a kicker: If you decided to add a cam afterwards, you need this anyway. My.02.

-
Back