1972 Canadian H-Code 340 Dart Swinger Special Resto - Finally started!

-
Bingo d55dave, and yes win a all expense paid virtual tour of Smokey Lake Speed Shop and Smokey Lake Speed Museum and a ring of Kubasa which you can get next door, LOL!

Sorry Cliff I know how much this prize meant to you but you snooze you lose!!!

Hey, fantastic! My mom grew up not too far away in Mundare, I have a little Ukrainian in me and love some good kubasa. I would love the tour if I ever make it out that way, LOL.

Found some time to work on the car today and trim off the trunk drop and outer wheel housing.
Hopefully I can show some detail that I may have missed showing on the other side for those that might want to tackle this on their project.

IMG_2442_zps5a6zolrs.jpg

I just cut the trunk drop half an inch or so from the seam with a cutoff wheel so I can get close to the spot welds for drilling them out.

IMG_2444_zpsyrtpuxql.jpg

IMG_2447_zpsdb7c1ui0.jpg

IMG_2448_zpsyxpm4dgb.jpg

Unfortunately the corner of the floor that meets the inner wheel house has a little daylight showing thru it so I'll have to make a piece to fix this spot before the trunk drop and wheel house can go on. A little rusty under this caulking so I'm going to remove all of it on the floor pan and clean these areas up and re-caulk the floor.

IMG_2449_zpsksmw6rrf.jpg

Cut the wheel house just back from the flange and drill the roof brace spot welds.

IMG_2453_zpsvjkifxwd.jpg

IMG_2454_zpsk22crejl.jpg

The cut on the wheel housing thats behind the roof brace will need to be done from inside the wheel well.

IMG_2455_zpsw4inorhc.jpg

Then grind the remaining part of the wheel housing back flush with the flange.

IMG_2458_zpsvnqcfeum.jpg

I think I showed these welds on the inside top of the wheel well on the other quarter but may as well show them again, these hold the roof brace to the wheel well also and will need to be drilled to allow the brace to be free so the new tub will slide in between the various layers of panels. You will want to take your time and drill thru just the two inner layers leaving the roof brace layer to plug weld too later on.

IMG_2459_zpswanj3x58.jpg

Clean off some more undercoating and call it a day.

IMG_2460_zpsynezjfx6.jpg

IMG_2461_zpsln568kpf.jpg

Last edited:
Did a bit more trimming and a first fitting of the tub and trunk drop on the right side.

IMG_2466_zpsvusjfcgh.jpg

Unfortunately the fitment on this side is going to be a bit worse then the left side and is going to need a bit more work to make the tub and trunk drop all line up with the floor and rocker the way they need to. No point test fitting the quarter until these two pieces fit to the car better, I was hoping this side would be less work, oh well!

IMG_2467_zpsh0vyb647.jpg

Last edited:
Need to get the tub fitting correctly to the rocker first so made the first relief cut in a bit different location, a bit higher, then the other side since I had a larger gap to close.

IMG_2475_zpsv3bayjek.jpg

IMG_2476_zpsfqthw38r.jpg

IMG_2477_zps2yp1znti.jpg

IMG_2478_zps1hqwuwhh.jpg

IMG_2479_zpsf2yitsvb.jpg

IMG_2480_zps8xpfr1gl.jpg

That got the tub nicely against the rocker, the next cut will move the front edge of the tub back even with the rocker.

IMG_2483_zps4gxb4dty.jpg

IMG_2487_zpsruxzldl7.jpg

IMG_2488_zpsey5antnh.jpg

This is how much needs to be removed then welded up to move the tub in even with the rocker.

IMG_2489_zpspkvgma3k.jpg

IMG_2491_zpshzf05xz2.jpg

A bit of black primer and slide it back in place and the fit looks good.

IMG_2494_zpsok4btmux.jpg

IMG_2495_zpsw6ys3trp.jpg

Next I have to deal with an issue that wasn't a problem on the other side and this time it isn't a problem with the AMD panel but appears to be an issue with my floor pan. The pan doesn't line up with the wheel tub and trunk drop seam so when I clamp the trunk drop in place lining up with the seam I get a nasty gap that needs to be "gone".

IMG_2474_zpsmpozyltw.jpg

I decided the only proper fix and probably the easiest will be to cut the floor back from but along the lip and section in some metal to take up the gap, OLD CARS :banghead: ,but that will be for another day!

Last edited:
Great progress, and thanks for the detailed descriptions. Sheet metal is a finicky *****, isn't it ?

Great evening weather wise so got the car outside and did some blasting on the areas that need it.

IMG_2498_zps6iunfb0j.jpg

IMG_2499_zpsnxc7wmtu.jpg

IMG_2500_zpscqdsnv3s.jpg

IMG_2501_zpszoyhne6t.jpg

IMG_2502_zpsmhqirrtj.jpg

IMG_2503_zps2i2abgib.jpg

Thats all I had the energy to tackle this evening, not an fun bit of work but got it out of the way.

Last edited:
10/4 Crosstown, now I'm afraid to ask " What happened to your Car" did that trucker steal it!!
LOL!
I should see it in about a week. It's been a long ordeal, but I will persevere! ! LOL ! Sheet metal is a finicky *****, but US Customs is just a flat out *****!

I should see it in about a week. It's been a long ordeal, but I will persevere! ! LOL ! Sheet metal is a finicky *****, but US Customs is just a flat out *****!

Good to hear, post up some pics of her rolling into her new home when you finally get your hands on it, will be a great project.

Dealing with this pain in the butt gap took quite a bit more time then I thought it would.

IMG_2474_zpsmpozyltw.jpg

Decided I had to cut the lip off and section in some steel then cut that off back to where the lip would then line up,

IMG_2510_zpsum38qzwf.jpg

IMG_2511_zpslbgchnyd.jpg

Then clamp it up and weld the lip back on.

IMG_2512_zpsyjygbk88.jpg

IMG_2513_zpsadopxeeu.jpg

Didn't grind too much meat off the weld to make pretty and thin here since it ends up with about a quarter inch of brush sealer over it. Lines up nice now, should be able to hang the quarter on now and see what issues it will have.

IMG_2515_zpsursgjnmj.jpg

Last edited:
Running out of time that the weather allows me to spray this area outside so pushing hard to get the inner area in epoxy. First need to remove the brackets that hold the Jack in place and weld them on the tub and trunk drop then I can prime them.

IMG_2516_zpssq2ushcd.jpg

IMG_2523_zps92uackxd.jpg

IMG_2524_zpswbcl4eos.jpg

Finish cleaning up the frame rail and inner tub and mask her up ready to prime.

IMG_2525_zpsmafyngla.jpg

IMG_2526_zpsicrk4acd.jpg

IMG_2530_zpstmzf4shu.jpg

Tomorrow evening might be a long one as I need to get the tub and trunk drop welded up but I need to hang the quarter in place first to see if there are any issues :prayer:

It's a damn good thing I always loved this car or I might not be up for this, LOL.

Last edited:
Danny, keep the faith! That's some awesome work you're doing.

Thanks Cliff, if I don't get this work done and the paint applied the quarter can't go on and it won't get on a rotisserie this winter so this "has to get done". One of the problems of renovating and making your garage all perdy is you don't want to cover it all in paint overspray,#-o

**SLIGHT HIJACK**
:cheers: My car finally showed up ! :blob: I couldn't be more stoked about this new project. I hope my efforts can be even remotely close to yours. I continue to be impressed with your work. Hell, I should have had my transport guy just keep it in Canada and deliver it to you for the body work ... LOL !!

**SLIGHT HIJACK**
:cheers: My car finally showed up ! :blob: I couldn't be more stoked about this new project. I hope my efforts can be even remotely close to yours. I continue to be impressed with your work. Hell, I should have had my transport guy just keep it in Canada and deliver it to you for the body work ... LOL !!

:cheers:Finally!! Thats great, now only the third 340 Special in America! Thanks for the comment on the work, wish I could piddle around on the car everyday a bit and not have to go to work for a living, l'd be closing in on Joel by now LOL! Like Joel said start yourself a thread and post up some pictures, love to see the car in its new home.

Out in the shop fairly late last night getting the tub and trunk drop welded in place but first had to test fit the quarter and this side is going to be much like the other side if not a bit worse fit, oh well no turning back now.

IMG_2538_zpsdtjmjawg.jpg

IMG_2539_zps78q1fitl.jpg

IMG_2540_zps57jooj7p.jpg

Got some prep work and masking to do and get some paint on the inside today.

Last edited:
Thankfully even thou it was a bit windy I got the inside prepped seam sealed and painted,

IMG_2541_zpsiooyqz3l.jpg

IMG_2543_zps4n652qpc.jpg

IMG_2545_zpsibeyffyg.jpg

Relieved, the weather won't likely be nice enough until spring to spray outside. I need a break time to take the pups out to do a bit of hunting then tackle the quarter panel.

Last edited:
too bad the factory couldn't have been this detailed to begin with. I took the doors off my car and found bare metal behind the hinges on the body. Then we wonder why they rusted so bad in the humid places. #-o#-o

the way you are doing is going to make for sure that it doesn't get any rust bubbles for a couple hundred years. :glasses7:

too bad the factory couldn't have been this detailed to begin with. I took the doors off my car and found bare metal behind the hinges on the body. Then we wonder why they rusted so bad in the humid places. #-o#-o

the way you are doing is going to make for sure that it doesn't get any rust bubbles for a couple hundred years. :glasses7:

Your right Rani, there's little to no protection on a lot of the hidden areas and that's where they rot out. This car was only has 56k on the body and its supprising the rust between the pinch welds and under some of the brushed on seam sealer. I'm going to scrap all that old seam sealer off and treat those seams an brush on some modern sealer.

I'm not sure I can last a couple of hundred :prayer: but hopefully someone will still have a solid cool A-body!

Last edited:
I don't know if you've seen this picture before, but in my quest to find pictures of '71 Swinger Special 340's (I know, I'm lax in getting my own thread going about my new car ...), look what I came across. It sure looks like a '72 Swinger Special with "the hood" ......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 351
I don't know if you've seen this picture before, but in my quest to find pictures of '71 Swinger Special 340's (I know, I'm lax in getting my own thread going about my new car ...), look what I came across. It sure looks like a '72 Swinger Special with "the hood" ......

Neat old picture from the old Edmonton Speedway, I've got quite a few pics I took back in the late 70's and early 80's from there, a few pics I took from the Park

Speedway%20Park004_zpsuny0pmr0.jpg

Speedway%20Park003_zpsfiuji0u2.jpg

Our local legend 240 Gordie Bonin loading his parachute, I got to meet him finally a couple of years ago and had a nice chat, unfortunately we lost him shortly after.

Speedway%20Park005_zpsvzxnjfq7.jpg

Mr. Crankshaft dragster I painted making it's first pass at the Speedway -

Speedway%20Park006_zpsgyibeumo.jpg

Speedway%20Park002_zpspzv8mep0.jpg

I don't remember that Dart, its hard to see much detail in these old photos but it might be one of the Specials.

Still looking forward to seeing some pictures of yours in its new home. I've taken a bit of a break on mine but will need to get back after it pretty soon, Scatpacker dropped off the rotisserie for me to use so I need to tackle getting this right quarter fitting and installed.

Last edited:
Wow, you're moving right along! It's looking great so far.. I still think you'll catch up to me by the time I get back to my car, haha.

-
Back