1972 dart 360 with 904

-
I know what I have. car is on a lift . I don't know what the motor or trans came from before it was put into this car . It's 360 with a 904 on it 100% . I had it pulled out and rebuilt and looking not for newer flex plate I just bought it , now need a zero balance converter and no one has them.

I know what I have. car is on a lift . I don't know what the motor or trans came from before it was put into this car . It's 360 with a 904 on it 100% . I had it pulled out and rebuilt and looking not for newer flex plate I just bought it , now need a zero balance converter and no one has them.
Sounds like you need a standard 904 converter and a 360 neutral balance flex plate. Unless the 360 you have has been internally balanced. See the confusion?

Sounds like you need a standard 904 converter and a 360 neutral balance flex plate. Unless the 360 you have has been internally balanced. See the confusion?
Again - I have a standard factory flex plate and original converter with weights .
What I wanted was a new original style converter but none are made

so new plan is
what I need is a new flex plate with notch cut out and I just ordered it . I now need a zero balance 904 converter . No one has them .

Again - I have a standard factory flex plate and original converter with weights .

so new plan is
what I need is a new flex plate with notch cut out and I just ordered it . I now need a zero balance 904 converter . No one has them .
Precision of New Hampton. Check them out.

Give us the casting date off of the 360 and the PK part number off of the transmission pan rail right underneath the shift and kickdown levers. If the 904 originally came behind the 360, it would be a 999-Good For You! and it would have the correct weighted convertor behind it. Since you stated you wanted a stock style convertor. Chrysler started using the 999 behind the 360-2 barrel engines in 1974 in the bigger cars, like the Cordoba and such. They used them thru 1979 that I know of. Starting in 1978 they could be non lockup or lockup, and 1979 lockup only. So 74-77 were the good years for the 999 transmission. Does the convertor you have, have weights welded on it? If so-you have the correct convertor. If your convertor does not have weights, you need a B&M 10239 flexplate.

Give us the casting date off of the 360 and the PK part number off of the transmission pan rail right underneath the shift and kickdown levers. If the 904 originally came behind the 360, it would be a 999-Good For You! and it would have the correct weighted convertor behind it. Since you stated you wanted a stock style convertor. Chrysler started using the 999 behind the 360-2 barrel engines in 1974 in the bigger cars, like the Cordoba and such. They used them thru 1979 that I know of. Starting in 1978 they could be non lockup or lockup, and 1979 lockup only. So 74-77 were the good years for the 999 transmission. Does the convertor you have, have weights welded on it? If so-you have the correct convertor. If your convertor does not have weights, you need a B&M 10239 flexplate.

Yes - I again . I have original style flex plate and weighted converter . Yes it's a 360 and has a 904 . I'll get casting numbers tomorrow

I have already given up on getting original weighted converter as no one lists of makes them . So I bought just now the summit flex plate with notch cut out of it. But now I need zeroe balance a904 converter and also finding no one has them . All are listed as " unavailable "

You have a factory flexplate and a weighted convertor and you want a factory style convertor. You HAVE exactly what you need already. No need to change anything. So more than likely you have the 999 trans. Give me the trans part number.

so new plan is

You have a factory flexplate and a weighted convertor and you want a factory style convertor. You HAVE exactly what you need already. No need to change anything. So more than likely you have the 999 trans. Give me the trans part number.
Lol it's all bad - why I had trans rebuilt , converter we think is trashed as well . No sense in putting a 50 year old original converter which we think it's trash back into this car . Even if I thought it was ok it doesn't make sense to go this far and put a old converter in something just rebuilt .

Lol it's all bad - why I had trans rebuilt , converter we think is trashed as well . No sense in putting a 50 year old original converter which we think it's trash back into this car . Even if I thought it was ok it doesn't make sense to go this far and put a old converter in something just rebuilt .

Call PTC and get a converter coming. Use the B&M flex plate. Send it. There is no way I’d go back together with an off the shelf stock converter.

I don't see the problem;
buy any 904 convertor and when it arrives, if there are weights on it, just knock them off;
then transfer the weights from your current TC onto the new one, in the appropriate place, just like yours already are. The location-pattern is right in front of you.
I think lemondana was thinking along these lines.

Who rebuilt the trans ? They would be the ones who would have to know the year/model of the trans for parts. The proper Torque convertor. Because of balancing differences, the 904 was never bolt on to a 360. You can't find one for a very good reason. Companies don't make parts that they can't sell. 360 was very popular for about 20 years. 904 was very popular for about 35 years. 340/360 came with 727. 318 came with 904. Always exceptions but this was standard. Both engines out of production for over 20 years. Transmissions as well. Everything now is electronic, computer controlled. Aftermarket is geared toward popular performance applications.

This is what I want and asked for bud states no One makes a weighted converter

Well it's what is showing for a904 converter

YOU CAN NOT GO BY photos on any website. They are almost ALWAYS a random photo "for illustration."

There were about two jillion 904's put behind 360's by the factory. If you're using a notched flex plate on a 360, just use a 318 converter.

The variant of the 904, the 999 WAS used behind the 360-2 barrel engines from 74-79. After that, I don't care. I doubt that they used two jillion behind the 360's though. The 360-4 Barrel engines did use the 727.

This is the stock style converter I used with my 360/904 combo with the B&M 10239 flexplate.

Quick internet search. Maybe these guys can help you...

CR8L (762/385) - A904 TORQUE CONVERTER - Product Details

TF1.jpg

TF2.jpg

So I got new flex plate & converter .

but jegs doesn't know what bolts the converter takes . I've asked Hughes and they not answered .

Anyone know what the originals 904 converters had ?

Anyone know what bolts the Hughes Performance Street Rod Torque Converters 27-20 takes ?

Any confidence they are the same ?

-
Back