1972 Dodge Colt

-
Getting close.
Resized_20230226_181842.jpeg

I got the Colt ready to start this morning.
I have a Chrysler electronic dist I really want to use.
Had the curve done last year.
Anyway the first crank was not so great.
Missing on a few and would not stay running.
Did the standard troubleshooting, firing order, fuel, plugs, voltage, etc.
I ran the dist CW and CCW and it didn't like any of that.
Initial timing is around 5 BTC.
So I threw my old Mallory dual life dist in and she cranked right away!
To my ear she has never sounded better, nice lope, nice 1K idle, just sounded good.

Before I started the engine I did some Weber checks.
With the front end on you can't see down the carb throats.
I have the FE off now and I noticed no accel pump shot on number 3 carb.
So I spent the rest of the day chasing that gremlin.
I thought at first the little spring inside had come off the throttle shaft.
With the top of the carb it wasn't moving.
So I removed the carb only to find it was semi stuck from sitting a couple of months.
I don't EVER want to remove a carb from that DAMN CLIFFORD intake again on the engine.
Now in their defense if I didn't have headers or an exhaust manifold it would have been easy.
And since the current crew at clifford really don't care anymore it just a PITA.
Here are a couple of pictures on the pump arm, up and down.
I added a little lube to the arm and re-set the float level.
Last picture is the intake and the 2 bolts you can't get to.
They should have used studs, but what do I know.
Weber Accel Pump (1).jpeg

Weber Accel Pump (4).jpeg

Weber Accel Pump (2).jpeg

So I guess I am ready for another test and tune.
I worked through most of my issues and did a couple hours of timing and carb tweeks.
Still not happy with the fuel pressure, I think the gauge is not repeatable.
I did fix the alternator wiring, I had it going to the wrong side of the cut-off switch.
Never checked it before, and I turned the switch yesterday and the dang thing kept running!
Rut-row.
Here is a video of the last run.
Excuse the mountain man look, I need to shave, more often.

I imagine you have thought of fuel injection……? Down the road a bit, or not going to happen?

I think with fuel injection done right, it would make for a more fun package. Mechanical injection is easy compared to those three nightmare things on the engine now.
Hey, I like things simple.

I think with fuel injection done right, it would make for a more fun package. Mechanical injection is easy compared to those three nightmare things on the engine now.
hey you changed your picture thingy!

there is always someone in the peanut gallery, who sits on the sidelines and tells you what to do.

simple???

Marks Lancer Engine.jpg

I imagine you have thought of fuel injection……? Down the road a bit, or not going to happen?
FI is in the plan, but it will slow me down, just because I can mess up a wet dream!
Not because it is slower.
I think there has long been the argument that FI can make power.
Only over a fuel and ignition system that is not optimized.
FI can adjust a million things on the fly that a carb can't do.
And it certainly would be more fuel efficient and cleaner burning.

But like slant racer I like things simple also.
To a point.

Do you guys watch Restoration Garage on TV?
It's the Guild of Automotive Restoration out of Canada.
They have one mechanic who I really respect.
He always says "read your parts".

So I read my parts, the electronic distributor that would not work a couple of days ago.
The mating connector was different after coming back from curve rework.
I had a new Lean Burn pickup assembly installed with no vacuum advance.
This one only has the one pickup, not two.
I just had a screw thru the old pickup assembly.
To keep the plate from moving with no connection to it.
So I checked my little MSD pigtail and it didn't mate with the new connector.
So I cut it off, added a new connector set and removed the Mallory and installed the electronic.
Bingo!
After setting the initial advance it works great.
I noticed a little flutter when you would bring the RPM up with the Mallory.
Today it was super steady, and sounded better.

Anyway, "read your parts".
This is not news to you real mechanics.
But as a long time spark chaser on helicopters for 40+ years it works well for me.
Mechanical work is just my hobby!

What? I wasn't being smart. Not at all.
Lol….no problem
I understand the reluctance to move on to new technology if you’re very familiar with something. But it’s been proven computerized fuel injection and Ignition systems are our friends, even if they aren’t very simple.

Ah they're not that bad once you get to know them, and once you've got them dialed in the gains from converting from the webers to FI probably wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Lol….no problem
I understand the reluctance to move on to new technology if you’re very familiar with something. But it’s been proven computerized fuel injection and Ignition systems are our friends, even if they aren’t very simple.
It's been proven that a carb set-up right makes more power, RRR didn't stutter, & He wasn't kidding. I'm a BIG fan of port FI, & it is the only way to go if you're going to boost IMO, but cost vs hp carbs are still king.
IF the FI is done correctly, it is definitely more reliable & liveable, but the $$$$ + complexity isn't yet worth it to most.
With modern setups & software, it's nice to be able to tune w/a tablet or whatever, once it's installed for sure.

My old body has been taking a beating working in my yard getting ready to build a shop.
I haven't made it to the track yet, but getting ready.
This might work, might not!
Clutch Tamer (1).jpeg

Clutch Tamer (2).jpeg

Clutch Tamer (3).jpeg

Lol….no problem
I'm extremely familiar with EFI, having worked driveability in dealerships many years. I got a belly full of it and I don't like it. That's my personal opinion. Just because someone doesn't like something, doesn't make them ignorant of its operation.

-
Back