1972 Duster Build with my Daughter

-
Booster Dewey called this morning. The restored power brake booster is on its way home from Seattle...

Looks like Booster Dewey is now Booster Steve or Booster Exchange. Absolutely gorgeous work......

DSC_0017.jpg

I disassembled the NOS master cylinder and this weekend we will be cleaning it up and installing the rebuild kit (it is 50 years old!). Also the distributor is going back together with new springs and FBO lockout plate, that will be coming this weekend here.

Jegs order came and we mounted the Keystones and make the white lettering shine. Spoiled brat....

DSC_0016.jpg
DSC_0018.jpg

Looks like Booster Dewey is now Booster Steve or Booster Exchange. Absolutely gorgeous work......

View attachment 1715315498

I disassembled the NOS master cylinder and this weekend we will be cleaning it up and installing the rebuild kit (it is 50 years old!). Also the distributor is going back together with new springs and FBO lockout plate, that will be coming this weekend here.

Jegs order came and we mounted the Keystones and make the white lettering shine. Spoiled brat....

View attachment 1715315497 View attachment 1715315499
But doesn’t that smile make it worth the extra change? :D

View attachment 1715315498

View attachment 1715315497 View attachment 1715315499
IMO Keystone Classics are perfect for that car. Also very period correct.

Distributor.... Factory original that was pulled apart (not the shaft) and cleaned up. There is zero side to side play in the shaft so I am reusing it...

All the way in the bottom. This is a '73 car so we so some math. The factory ran them around 34 degrees all in on the advance and around 0 at idle so that is 34 degrees of mechanical advance. That says these likely around 17/18 degree weights (divide by 2 since the dizzy spins half as fast as the crank).

I used the softest springs from the FBO kit I bought for the Coronet..

DSC_0008 (1).jpg

Now the FBO plate that locks the weights to a fixed amount advance (old way was to weld blobs and file them off, this worth every penny it costs). I put it on the "10" mark so that means it will lock it down to 20 degrees of total advance at the crank. So if I want it to run at 34 degrees at high rpm my initial timing will be around 14 degrees. That worked great for the Coronet we will see what it does for this engine.

DSC_0009 (1).jpg

Not the upper shaft goes in.

DSC_0010 (1).jpg

Don't forget the bushing! Also you can see the blurry snap ring at the top of the shaft It is what hold the upper shaft on and is a PIA to remove or install....

DSC_0011 (1).jpg

The snap ring is way down in there.....

DSC_0012 (1).jpg

The vacuum advance had a lever that pulls in and are usually marked, this one is 11 so that is 22 degrees. If I am running all in at 34 and add 22 I get 56 degrees at cruise.. That is a bit more than I want but we will see how it really works once running.

DSC_0013 (1).jpg

Next the pickup plate and getting the advance pin in the hole while standing on one foot...

DSC_0014 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Here are the FBO parts for setting the timing advance.

DSC_0007.jpg

After setting the gap in the pickup to 0.008" we spun it while connected to the oscilloscope. Here is what the signal looks like. The sharp edge is when the sharp edge of the cam passes by the pick up pole.

DSC_0020.jpg

So it turns out the hole I drilled for the aftermarket booster was needed to get the '73 booster in the '72. I installed a body plug in the old hole.

DSC_0008.jpg

Now the NOS master cylinder. I disassembled it the other night and used my brake cylinder hone to clean up the bore.

First thing is the installed the flare bushing. Here is how I get them off. This an old tool for removing the emission plugs to get to idle screws on carbs. Remember those? Screw in and use the slide hammer to pull it out. Easy.

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

In this cylinder only the front tank has a check valve behind the flair bushing. The Coronet had one behind both. The kit was correct and only gave me one so make sure you note it when your pull it apart..

Just set them down in the housing.

DSC_0010.jpg

I use the lines to thread in and push the flare bushing into the housing. You can feel them go in and bottom out..

DSC_0009.jpg

Now lub up the bore and new pistons

DSC_0013.jpg
DSC_0014.jpg

Front one goes in first. Be careful to not cut them so go easy and twist slightly.

DSC_0015.jpg

Last edited:
Now the rear tank piston.

DSC_0016.jpg

It is tricky to get it in as you have to compress the spring and get the snap ring in. Kaelyn put in the snap ring while I pressed.

DSC_0017.jpg

Now the set screw to hold it together.

DSC_0018.jpg

Quick trip to the paint shop and all done. Look so much more 1972 than the aftermarket one....

DSC_0019.jpg

Kick down linkage. Went to town to get some raw material. Steel rod and a fine thread bolt that fits the slotted adjustment linkage. Cut off the head and weld it on.

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

I used a grinder to make a few slots to bend the rod in 2 spots and welded a bolt shaft 90 degrees with a backup washer. I got frustrated and finished it with out many photos. You can see it in the engine shots. I have some springs coming Monday so I still need to weld on a bracket for the kick down return spring once I get it and figure out where it should go.

We bought a second set of plug wires and by mixing them we got the routing to be much more correct. Also the fan is now mounted and the AC bracket cut to clear. Need to decide if I want to weld a strengthening plate over it. I think I should.

Here is the photo shoot!

DSC_0023.jpg
DSC_0024.jpg
DSC_0025.jpg

Bitter sweet day....

Kaelyn installed the rubber buggy bumpers.

DSC_0007.jpg

Then she wired up the Out Of Sight Radio for rear speakers... Her mother said she would buy her thumping rear speakers so we needed to run the rear speaker wires... sigh....

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

Well we hooked up the Coronet for a vacuum source to test the operation of the heater box...

DSC_0017.jpg

Just took this picture because the Coronet is just so damn cool....

DSC_0010.jpg

We tried to fix the leaking valve but no joy... :(

DSC_0009.jpg

Completely depressed we finished up the fuel system at the tank... ready for gas back here...

DSC_0013.jpg
DSC_0014.jpg
DSC_0016.jpg

Tried to cheer her up by mocking up the Klassics....

DSC_0018.jpg

Well crap the Accurate Exhaust I ordered today will be here Thursday.... We need to get that power train stuffed in the body!

Spent the late morning and lunch with Bob from Glenray Radiator and his friend. He stopped by to get paid for the Duster radiator/shroud/heater core and to pickup the original from my Coronet for a core. Really nice guy.

Dug out the original Duster rear axle and removed the emergency brake cables and just loosely clamped it in the car so we can use it to pivot the body up the install the power train.

DSC_0019.jpg
DSC_0021.jpg

While working on this the UPS man came and the Accurate Exhaust box came!

DSC_0020.jpg
DSC_0022.jpg
DSC_0023.jpg

We put the front bumper on this evening but the one bracket was bent and I did not notice it. A dozen or two smacks with the sledge hammer got it close. Need to get some lock and flat washers from the hardware store in the morning and get it bolted in. Then I can get the straps around it and the brackets to lift the body.

56675137_2216506885051883_6933158276192272384_n.jpg
57019615_2216508248385080_7510715920193421312_n.jpg

I wasn't feeling good yesterday so not a lot got done. I made a new kick down rod from the correct diameter material and got the springs all connected. It is ready to go. I also welded the reinforcement plates on the AC bracket I had to cut for the clearance of the thermostat in the Performer Manifold.

Today we wired the heat riser flapper open (it was still perfectly functional with the bimetallic spring!) and made a bracket to hold the fuel line from the filter up to the carb so it won't have the ability to rock into the AC belts. Then we got busy....

Mighty 318 ready to be installed...

DSC_0020.jpg

Bumper on and double strapped to the engine crane for lifting...

DSC_0021.jpg

Ready to roll into place.

DSC_0024.jpg

Up-see-daisy and under she goes.

DSC_0028.jpg

Kaelyn is torquing down the 4 big K-Frame bolts.

DSC_0029.jpg

One side all reassembled.

DSC_0031.jpg

All pretty in place..

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg
DSC_0034.jpg

Ready for Kaelyn to assemble the left hand side.

DSC_0035.jpg

Kaelyn did this side by herself...

DSC_0039.jpg

I forgot to buy torsion bar booties so we can't put the torsion bars in and get it on the floor..... Arrrrrrgggggg.....

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

Yup I hate those uni-lugs as much as I remembered from 35+ years ago...

DSC_0048.jpg

Last edited:
One little trick... A 2" PVC street 90 or this threaded 90 makes a great dual purpose tool...

Cut 4 slots with a hacksaw like this:

DSC_0036.jpg

Now it can slip over the upper ball joint rubber seal and when you smack the back with hammer it will expand as the seal seats down on the ball joint. Nice boot installer tool..

DSC_0037.jpg

Now flip it over and it fits perfectly to drive the wheel bearing seals on the disk brakes!

DSC_0038.jpg

Day of details. Got all the underhood wiring done as well has heater hoses and AC hoses. Installed the new AC dryer and what the hell lets go for broke and pump her down!

DSC_0021.jpg

35 year old RobinAir vacuum pump still going strong...

DSC_0022.jpg

All the AC clamps restored and installed.

DSC_0023.jpg

Sucking it down!

DSC_0024.jpg

The low pressure switch is in the AC dryer. A 1972 the dryer is right there on the inner fender, the '73 AC system I installed the dryer is behind the grill so I had to extend the wires.

DSC_0025.jpg

This is a GM valve that is 5/8". The original was 1/2" but NOS is $250, I can't see that. I plumbed a 5/8" nipple in the Edelbrock and ran it over here and out. I then added a reducer to 1/2" to go into the heater core.

DSC_0026.jpg

5/8" to 1/2" reducer inline for the core.

DSC_0027.jpg

Extended wires to the low pressure cut off switch.

DSC_0028.jpg

Here is the dryer and cutoff switch.

DSC_0029.jpg

Ok I think I screwed up..... The 7" wide 205R60's with the disk brakes hit the fender, only on the left side if they car bottoms out! grrrrr... Experts and I screwed?

DSC_0030.jpg
DSC_0031.jpg
DSC_0032.jpg
DSC_0033.jpg

Here is what I did with the coolant cutoff valve. I cut the mounting tab off the original and painted it "yellow chromate" and it is a good facsimile of the original.

DSC_0034.jpg
DSC_0035.jpg

Here it is as of 6pm tonight... so close yet so far... She is holding vacuum for over an hour, I think it is ready to charge with R134a!

DSC_0036.jpg

Opened up the Accurate Exhaust box and started fitting it. Fits like a glove except for the tail pipe area and the chrome extensions. I may have the hangers backwards, I need to call them in the morning.

DSC_0037.jpg
DSC_0038.jpg
DSC_0039.jpg

On that heater hose from the valve to the core, check your local auto parts store and see if they have a hose that is 5/8 on one end and 1/2 on the other. I know they make them, I just don't know if you can find one in the length you need.
(Been there, done that.)

I checked some old notes.
Look up a Dayco 87301 or in that range. I was a huge nuisance at O'Reilly's when I built cars for a living.

You should not be having rubbing issues with only 205 tires. What is the backspacing on the wheel? Or maybe your camber is just un-adjusted wayyyyyyy out at the top?

You should not be having rubbing issues with only 205 tires. What is the backspacing on the wheel? Or maybe your camber is just un-adjusted wayyyyyyy out at the top?

Camber is totally out of adjustment, 4” back spacing

4" is borderline. 4.50" would be a lot better with the discs. I have aftermarket discs on my '69 Dart, 4.63" b/s on my 7" wheels, with 225/60-15 tires, and there is ample clearance.

4" is borderline. 4.50" would be a lot better with the discs. I have aftermarket discs on my '69 Dart, 4.63" b/s on my 7" wheels, with 225/60-15 tires, and there is ample clearance.

Yea Kaelyn wanted Keystones and they no longer offer custom back spacing as of last year.

-
Back